Home Exercise On a Budget: What Do You Recommend?

Options
2»

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell. Full stop.
  • nichi123
    nichi123 Posts: 244
    Options
    Check out YouTube. Tiffany Rothe is great. I use the free ones on 'Fitness TV' on Sky. They're amazing!!! Walking too (although I know it's outside!) Good luck!:happy:
  • olerolls
    olerolls Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother with a treadmill, personally. Too expensive, too bulky and results aren't that great.

There is a ton you can do for free... there are a lot of great fitness channels on YouTube. Also check out Blogilates, You are Your Own Gym (book or iPad app) for bodyweight exercises, search for kettlebell routines, etc.. There is SO much out there that can really give you a great workout for little to no cost.
  • JaneLane33
    JaneLane33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks, and you're right about walking/running outdoors. I'm thinking ahead to the next NJ winter when sidewalks and trails vanish.

This is a great way to "walk" indoors: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rnB9rDRrCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjduJjO1pLg&feature=related

These DVDs sell for around &10 at Target, Wal-Mart. Your local library should have a bunch. If you want to run (indoors) look for a mini-trampoline.

I like the Leslie Sansone "walks" for when the weather is bad. After a few times I get to know the routine and I mute Leslie's chatter and put on my own music instead. I'm not a treadmill fan I find it boring.
    I got a good deal on several workout dvds from half priced books.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    For cardio: A good pair of shoes and, if it tickles your fancy, a jump rope. Combine that with suspension trainer. All you need.
  • SwitzEngine
    SwitzEngine Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    You don't need to spend a lot to be able to work out. There are so many exercises for cardio and strength available. It is more a question about your motivation to do it and about the determination you have. I didn't go to a gym for the past 12 years. I have my workout at home or in the nature. You can always buy a DVD for motivation. There are heaps to chose from. But the most important thing is that you listen to your body.

Buy a HRM for a propper insight to your body. I use one for every workout and I can adjust the intensity to whatever my goal is. If you wanna loose fat you have to be in the fat burning zone. For cardio you have to be higher but u dont burn as much fat. This things are cheap and I guess in the US you get them from WalMart or so
  • LydsVille77
    LydsVille77 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Nike Training Club app is FREE and uses mostly body weight. I swear by it...
  • debbiewsharpe
    debbiewsharpe Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Obvously you have internet access. Go to youtube and type Leslie Sansone Walking video. There are many to choose from. Also, many other types of exercises (all free). It doesn't take a gym membership or expnsive equitment. Loose clohing, tennis shoes and videos will work. I have been using the waking vide and have lost weight. Eat right, track you food on MFP and walk. Good luck to you.
  • MamaMaryC
    MamaMaryC Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Wal*Mart has some exercise machines for a decent price. I had a stair stepper that was $97. It lasted for years, till I gave it way.
  • cartoontree
    Options
    30 day shred was £5/$7 on amazon or is free on youtube, all you need is small dumbbells and it is hard!