Mom can't be supportive (have a normal mom, don't read)

Options
I know, I know, I know I shouldn't expect my mom to be emotionally healthy or helpful, but I told her that I lost 23 pounds in six weeks.

"Well, don't start eating everything in sight and gain it all back!"

"Thanks, Mom. That was really supportive."

"It's true! People do it all the time and you could put it all back on. Then what? I'm just saying what happens. Why are you always so negative?"

I know, I know, I know. Blood out of a stone. That's my mother. The same one who told me over and over again about her weight loss recently and I just listened. Weight's the weird thing between us, she inflicted her food/body image issues on me as a child, and now she's still weirdly competitive about it.

OK, back to my world where she's only in it once in a while.

Any similar dysfunctional family stories?

Replies

• crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    My mom fluctuates about 20 lbs depending on how stressed she is, how much time she has for the gym, etc... Any time she's at the high end of her weight range, she tells me I'm too skinny. Any time she's at the low end, she gets snotty if I eat something sweet in front of her. It's never really bothered me - when it comes to my weight and body image, I have much bigger issues to confront than my mother - but it's weird how she's so supportive of me in everything but this area. Just projecting her insecurities onto me, I guess.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    My mother is very supportive most of the time. However, she gets it in her mind to tell me the "truth" of things. It used to be "you have to do this for the rest of your life" which is fine now because I found something that works for me that I can do forever, but when I was trying WW with her (which wasn't working out) it was unpleasant to hear.

The current unpleasant thing she likes to tell me is that my body is just going to stop losing weight at some point, and I won't be able to lose anymore. I get annoyed because she implies that this is going to be before my goal weight. I get frustrated because I know she says it because she's stuck at 153-155 even though she wants to be at 145.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    sorry, I read anyway. I do have wacky relatives though. I think the biggest lesson I learned is to just accept them the way they are and stop expecting a normal response or behavior. It makes it easier to deal with and you do not get hurt. If they veer into supportive once in a while then it is a pleasant surprise.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I didn't have that with my mom...but i did with my mother in law. When I was actively trying to lose weight she would purposely buy clothing that was three times my size for Christmas or for my birthday.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Interestingly, my mother never had a positive thing to say about me TO me, but she'd tell her friends.

It was almost as if she felt that if she told me that she thought I was doing well that she would jinx my progress.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    The current unpleasant thing she likes to tell me is that my body is just going to stop losing weight at some point, and I won't be able to lose anymore. I get annoyed because she implies that this is going to be before my goal weight. I get frustrated because I know she says it because she's stuck at 153-155 even though she wants to be at 145.

Not necessarily the truth at all. Metabolic adaptation does happen, but it's generally seen in people who've done a very low calorie diet and tons of cardio who don't have much muscle. Even if it DOES happen, it can be dealt with. Best thing to do is not try to go on an extreme deficit right from the beginning, and do strength training along with your cardio. Good luck.
  • jangier
    jangier Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I can picture my mother saying the same exact thing to me. I have lost over15 pounds and it seemed to go completely un-noticed with the exception of snide remarks - oh you eatin' that healthy crap again. Also done with no G on the word eating, it drives me crazy!!!!! I actually think she doesn't mean to offend or be rude, but in her case she just doesn't know what to say. I am sorry that your mom is unsupportive, since it really sucks. I think it is AWESOME you have lost so much weight, you have beaten the odds and will continue to succeed. Best of luck.
  • goldk
    goldk Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    We must be sisters separated at birth... LOL

Now that I don't live with her I can laugh at it. (I lived with her for 5 years after my divorce - it definitely left its mark). The other day she said I was obsessed with going to be the YMCA. I told her "if I was obsessed I wouldn't be a size 16, I would be a size 8". Oh - your always at the Y. No... I'm lucky if I get there 3-4 times a week. Oh and it goes on. You are not alone. Try to find support elsewhere because she is not going to change (if she's like my mother).

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE WEIGHT LOSS!!! :flowerforyou:
  • BurningAway
    BurningAway Posts: 279
    Options
    I didn't have that with my mom...but i did with my mother in law. When I was actively trying to lose weight she would purposely buy clothing that was three times my size for Christmas or for my birthday.

LOL WOW biiiittttch... My family sucks when it comes to weight loss seriously they are all skinny *****es so my accomishments in fitness mean didly squat to them, i think i have heard one compliment my entire time losing weight which was from my male younger cousin Ryan he said "if you keep eating that cheesecake your gonna get fat." Lmfao yeah thats about it.
  • LaserOctopus
    LaserOctopus Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    <raises hand> OOOH, ME! ME!

I'm incredibly hesitant to share this much personal stuff, but here goes.

Yah. I tried to keep it all to myself until I got caught. My parents *try* to be supportive but often fail. One's an enabler, but will often try to guilt or belittle: "are you still doing your little food thing?" with a infuriatingly condescending grin, the next day will be: "how do you feel after doing this?" My answer, of course, is that I feel much better in general now that I'm learning to eat and cook, which elicited a very disappointed sigh. One's a manic depressive, so don't even get me started. Caught me running and then I got made fun of and told how I wasn't doing it right, or hard enough, or long enough, et cetera. Of course, I wanted to say, "well, show me, then!" and keep running, knowing full well they'd never keep up, but that would have brought on the angry and hostile part of the cycle.

And guess who lives at home now because they need a caretaker these days?

I have no magic advice, other than to rely more on your friends here. I have to fight depression being treated like that all the time. But, hey, running helps, lol.

So I guess the answer is: NO, you're not alone.
  • Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Oh trust me I know. My mom isn't that way on my weight loss but she is on so many other things in my life so I know exactly what you are going through. I just stopped telling her anything that I didn't want published in the local newspaper and anything that I didn't want a negative response about. I know it sounds mean but I found complete strangers coming up to me saying "You're (so and so's) daughter, right?" When I would reply yes, they would continue to try to start up a conversation about very personal parts of my life that they knew about in full detail. Guess who informed these strangers of the going ons in my life, my good old mom.

Now that I am done with the rant about my mom...... What I am trying to say is if you know that there will be a possible negative reaction from her, then don't include her if at all possible. She will either A. Get the point and try to keep her personal thoughts to herself (which my mom has started trying to do. OR B. Be clueless about your accomplishments and you won't have to listen to the hurtful remarks. Either way for me it is a win win situation. Good luck!
  • Wol5894
    Wol5894 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My mum is dead and has been for 21 years but I remember she always tried to be supportive, unlike my father (also dead, 30 years), who was one of the most negative people I can remember.

Sadly, much of his negativity has rubbed off on my sister. I saw her in June for the first time in 8 months, during which time I have lost a fair bit of weight. What did she say? Something nice and encouraging or congratulatory? Nope. She said "Can't see which ankle you lost it off".

Now, if she had said it in a joking kind of voice and with a smile on her face, then I would have know she was teasing but she didn't - it was said in a vicious tone of voice, with a snort and a malicious look on her face. I was SO angry I could have hit her but had enough self-control not to do so.

Wouldn't have been so bad except that she has type 2 diabetes and doesn't control it well. She's overweight (well obese, on the BMI scale) and is constantly being told to lose weight but she doesn't do anything about it - and she wonders why people get cross with her.

You have no idea how glad I am that she lives 400 miles away....!
  • RambyPandy
    RambyPandy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My mom has said things to me along the lines of "Look you have a big belly like your mom!" or "Enjoy your 30's it's all downhill from here"... and growing up would say I need to look more like a certain skinny friend, or always point out when I gained weight (once in front of my boyfriend, now husband). All these things hurt because a) I am sensitive and b) I just want her to love and accept me. Isn't that what we all want from our moms? But I know deep down she loves me more than anything and in her mind she thinks it's coming from an acceptable place. After losing my mother in law, I've learned to just shrug off the comments and enjoy the positive moments while I have them.
  • WhitneySheree88
    WhitneySheree88 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My mom is supportive it is other family members I have this issue with.
    My sister, who is over weight tells me i'm getting too small and my sister in law who used to be smaller than me will not even talk about weight loss, food, exercise or my weight loss because she is jealous (she is that type of girl, that likes to have all the attention and focus on her) My husband bought me a treadmill and my MIL actually told the rest of the family that she wished I would "Go ahead and weigh only 2 pounds so she could stop hearing about my weight loss" when I hadn't even been the one talking to her about it.
    Luckily my mom and husband have been supportive and my mom is always telling me how good i'm looking lol it's weird.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    She sounds like a "normal mom" to me... And really, although she didn't say it in the most motivating way-- she is right. Most people that lose a significant amount of weight DO gain it back eventually. The trick is to REALIZE that and NOT be one of them!

If that's your idea of a normal mom, I feel sorry for you.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    and growing up would say I need to look more like a certain skinny friend

That one's hard. I've been the skinny friend in this scenario, and it made me feel terrible. Can't imagine how it makes you feel.
  • debaloo
    debaloo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I know it's especially hurtful coming from your mother. Realize that she is a person with her own problems and don't expect her to be somthing other than what she is. I have learned that there are certain subjects that are off limits with certain people. Maybe this is one of those subjects with your mom?
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Nope, mine's not normal. She has HUGE issues with food (warped and unhealthy), and lovingly passed those onto me by making food and my weight a gigantic issue my whole life, no pun intended. I vowed I would not do that to my kid (s). I have found myself thinking that I never want to have a little girl because the world is so bad for women (in relation to body image, etc.). My mom didn't do it to me on purpose but she gave me a complex that affected my entire life. Yes, I'm in therapy....LOL
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    My Mom had an uncanny resemblance to the actress, Kathyrn Hepburn-- very slender, patrician angular face. She was often stopped by other people because they thought that is who she was. I was an obese toddler, child, teen and young adult (during the late 50's and early 60's when fat kids were few and far between); and she just didn't know how to cope with that. I learned later that she was bulimic, which I didn't understand what it was. I recall when I was about 4 attending a little pool party, and the kids laughed at me for being so fat. I ran home crying and she responded that of course they made fun of you -- you're fat. I think when I was about 9 she said she couldn't understand why I was so fat and my older sisters so slim and beautiful. Then when I was in college she "complimented" me, saying how fortunate that i was such a "brainy" girl getting into an ivy league college since no man was going to marry such a fat woman.

It took alot of resilience on my part over the years to work through this stuff and really take care of my health on my own.
  • kymkan
    kymkan Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    bump for later