At what age did you first move out?

Options

Replies

• rebeccask
    rebeccask Posts: 170
    Options
    This is a fun topic! Thanks for asking the questions.

I recently returned from living in Thailand where I made lots of Thai friends. I spent a lot of time with families and getting to know the culture and at first I thought it was really strange how there will be 3 (if not more) generations living in the same house (approximately the same size as the house I currently am renting) but after some time I really came to respect and envy (to a degree) their lifestyle. I think Western culture really puts pressure on young adults to live on your own, like you're unsuccessful if you still live at home which is completely unfair because there are so many circumstances that justify living with your parents past 18, 20, 25 and so on, not all negatively either. We become more independent by living on our own, figuring out how we're going to pay our biills, buy our groceries, etc so I think we grow up a little sooner vs Thai culture the parents will typically pay for everything until the child moves out. They're viewed as young children (even if they're 28, 30 or 42).

I could talk about this for days. Point is, move out when you're ready. Sounds like you've already taken the steps to practically living on your own (i.e. paying rents, groceries). There's certainly advantages to living alone mostly in my case, to be independent and to live how I want to live.

I moved out at 18.
  • RingTailedFox
    RingTailedFox Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I moved out when I was 15.

I feel like though it was difficult at first, it has helped me to strengthen my character and to learn how to rely on myself.

If I could tell my 15 year old self a few pointers, they would be:
    Always pay your bills... On time, doofus.
    Don't get an animal just yet.
    You don't really need as many things as you think you do. And what you do really need is available at GoodWill.
    But seriously, pay your bills on time.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    So when did you first move out?
    -Right after I turned 19. I was in my 2nd quarter at college and moved into a house right off campus with a friend from my Spanish class, her cousin, and one of my best friends from my youth.

What were your feelings regarding it? Freedom? Guilt?
    -Not guilty at all. I couldn't wait to get away from my dad and not have to listen to my parents ***** anymore. It was great.

If you could go back and tell yourself something upon first moving out, what would it be? Tips and tricks for example.
    -I would tell myself not to live with those 3 lol There was a lot of drama, nasty note writing, and yelling between the girl from my class and her cousin and I. My friend and I ended up not speaking for several months while living together (but have since patched things up :)). I ended up moving out a month early due to roommates refusing to pay me for the electric bill because I didn't have time to do their chores for them due to working full time and school full time, plus all of the animosity made living there hell.

Was it easy? Was it hard?
    -Financially it was easier than everyone said. It was just hard to get along with the females I was living with. But we did have some good times, parties and what not :) Gotta love the freedom. Since moving out at 19 I have moved in with my dad for brief periods (a few months here and there) between houses/apartments. It was totally different, he let me have as much freedom as I wanted and never bugged me, very supportive. Overall, it's been good.

What do you think of the culture around 'leaving the nest' vs 'communal living' (IE some families traditionally living together for generations) Is this a largely western phenomenon?
    Etcetc.
    -Interesting question. I think leaving the nest is good. It's good for people to get out there and experience the world, especially during college. It should be a time of learning and experimentation, living away from home is part of that. I wish I was able to live on campus but oh well.
  • jewel22887
    jewel22887 Posts: 72
    Options
    18 moved out to college dorm and never back in with mom and dad live with my hubby now own our own house. Things I would tell new move out me is to SAVE money I made four times what I needed for bills when I rented a room after college and I spent it on silly things.

I could not live with my parents as I am a little, ok a lot controlling and I got it from them. It would not be a good situation but all of my siblings have lived with them after the first move out due to different circumstances. I feel as long as you are paying your own way and being respectful and your parents want you it's not a problem. Having said that my parents still help my other siblings with bills and things because they don't understand living with in their means well. I know families who have 3 generations in the same house and love it. Just depends on the family.
  • jenijen25
    jenijen25 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    16 silly and immature soon went home to my mummy lol xx
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I moved into a crappy apartment with my best friend when I was 18... It lasted about 3 years before I gave up because I was broke all the time hah
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    18...I got (and have remained) married :flowerforyou:
  • WhitneySheree88
    WhitneySheree88 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I bounced between moms, dads and grandmothers house from 14-17 then officially moved out at 17.
    My mother was in an abusive relationship with a boyfriend that hated me, so I couldn't live with her. My father and his new "wife" had started using meth and becoming violent with one another and after one of their many fights my boyfriend, now husband's mother asked me to come live with them because she worried about me being with them.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I did a "soft move" when I was 22. A job I had provided housing about 25 miles from my parent's house. I did still go to their house for occasional meals, laundry, and to pick up my mail.

At 23 I applied for a job 1,700 miles away and I was finally totally on my own. That job did also provide housing (horse farm), which probably made the transition easier than if I had needed to find my own place.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I bounced between moms, dads and grandmothers house from 14-17 then officially moved out at 17.
    My mother was in an abusive relationship with a boyfriend that hated me, so I couldn't live with her. My father and his new "wife" had started using meth and becoming violent with one another and after one of their many fights my boyfriend, now husband's mother asked me to come live with them because she worried about me being with them.

Dang! That's really awesome of your boyfriend's mom (now in-law) to do that!
  • britttttx3
    britttttx3 Posts: 458
    Options
    18, moved at a place a block away from the beach a roommate. Fun times
  • marketdimlylit
    marketdimlylit Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
  • jgal86
    jgal86 Posts: 77
    Options
    I'm 18 and am moving out in the fall to go to university... I'll probly be living on my own for a the next few years hahaha
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I moved out at 18. Best decision of my life. I never wanted to move back with my parents because i loved my freedom and making my own decisions.

Now that my sons are grown 19 and 21 I encourage and at times demand them to move out. They think I am a total B sometimes because they think they are too young to be on their own. They say I put too much pressure on them to move out and that all of the people they know still live at home!

I believe that you should want to move out experience the world because that gave me motivation to live my life and do well. I dont understand why they wouldnt want to experience that.

My husband and i make it hard for them they must have a job, pay their bills, give them chores and they have to be working towards some kind of career. We dont charge them rent.

I think it is this generation of kids that seem too scared to move out and be responsible.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I FIRST moved out at 18 for a live-in nanny position in my own studio, but it didn't work out so I moved back home after 6 months. I had sort of kind of not officially moved out again at 19 when I was basically living with my boyfriend at the time, but stopped staying over there when we broke up. At 20, a couple months before 21, I officially moved out on my own into my own apartment an hour away from home.

It's liberating and I live in a very cool city, arguably one of the coolest in the world. However, I work in mortgage, and two months after I moved out interest rates shot up so I've been living on a shoestring since then (I work mostly off of commission). I still would not trade it for living back at home at my mom's, too many issues there - not that we don't get along, but I'm the parent in the relationship pretty much AND she's a hoarder (not joking - the house is hazardous). However, if I had good relationships with either of my parents, I would NOT be moved out. Pretty much the only reason I dropped out of school and began working full time was because I needed to move out. I am really sad I can only go to school part time and slowly chip away at my degree, but I do have a good job with room to move up and I will finish the degree eventually. I've only been out on my own for 5 months now so I can't really say if I would or wouldn't do anything differently.

As far as leaving the nest goes, I am the ONLY person I know around my age with my own place. When I say I live on my own people give me a weird look because they have their 30 year old kids living with them. Or, in the case of some of my older co-workers, they have to completely bankroll their kids while they live at college or wherever. It bums me out that I'm saddled with credit card bills, a car payment, and rent, and I can't just save up and go backpack around the world, but then again I think there will be time for that later (or at least traveling) so I keep that in mind. I am glad that I'm learning how to live on my own and pay my bills because I know so many people who just CAN'T do that and it pisses me off. This generation is way too codependent and reliant on their parents, IMO. They're also not realistic, like going off to get art degrees and ending up working at like, Target or something. It's ridiculous. In this day and age the economy is not just going to throw money at you because you have a degree in ceramics, but I digress.

I honestly would love to have parents who support me financially to do whatever I please, but all the same I'm glad I don't. I work hard for what I have and there is no one to fall back on if I mess up. While it's extremely stressful, I'm also learning a lot and I certainly have a hell of a work ethic. When I look at my apartment, EVERYTHING I own was bought with my own money. All of the food in my fridge, all of the clothes in my closet, everything. That's a real sense of satisfaction that I would definitely not give up.

edit: I'm not bagging on people who financially have to live with their parents because of job loss, medical bills, whatever. I'm more annoyed with the grown up adult who lives with their parents and wants to be a "writer" but doesn't do anything to acquire the skills required to be a legitimate "writer" (or artist, actor, whatever). They work part time at Starbucks and complain that it cramps their creativity and the real world is, like, soooo haaaaard. That's who pisses me off.
  • dbanks80
    Options
    Great for you!!!! I want for my sons to experience this.

My husband and I have invested in our kids to give them all the resources they need to succeed in life. My oldest son had a full scholarship in bball and this was going to be his last year. He was majoring in Business. All of a sudden he decides he hates the school he hates Business he's tired of playing bball and he wants to drop out. He told me he has been playing sports all his life listening to coaches tell him what to do what he needs to do and now he wants to do something that is going to make him happy.

My husband and I were livid!!!!!!!! I didnt speak to him for 2 months. He wants to study music. We told him that you ned to look at something that you will be able to get a job. We told him to take out a student loan and get a job. He did find a full time job and he will start school in the Spring.

I never had that luxury and I would have loved to be able to get a full scholarship. Oh well.
  • dbanks80
    Options
    I FIRST moved out at 18 for a live-in nanny position in my own studio, but it didn't work out so I moved back home after 6 months. I had sort of kind of not officially moved out again at 19 when I was basically living with my boyfriend at the time, but stopped staying over there when we broke up. At 20, a couple months before 21, I officially moved out on my own into my own apartment an hour away from home.

It's liberating and I live in a very cool city, arguably one of the coolest in the world. However, I work in mortgage, and two months after I moved out interest rates shot up so I've been living on a shoestring since then (I work mostly off of commission). I still would not trade it for living back at home at my mom's, too many issues there - not that we don't get along, but I'm the parent in the relationship pretty much AND she's a hoarder (not joking - the house is hazardous). However, if I had good relationships with either of my parents, I would NOT be moved out. Pretty much the only reason I dropped out of school and began working full time was because I needed to move out. I am really sad I can only go to school part time and slowly chip away at my degree, but I do have a good job with room to move up and I will finish the degree eventually. I've only been out on my own for 5 months now so I can't really say if I would or wouldn't do anything differently.

As far as leaving the nest goes, I am the ONLY person I know around my age with my own place. When I say I live on my own people give me a weird look because they have their 30 year old kids living with them. Or, in the case of some of my older co-workers, they have to completely bankroll their kids while they live at college or wherever. It bums me out that I'm saddled with credit card bills, a car payment, and rent, and I can't just save up and go backpack around the world, but then again I think there will be time for that later (or at least traveling) so I keep that in mind. I am glad that I'm learning how to live on my own and pay my bills because I know so many people who just CAN'T do that and it pisses me off. This generation is way too codependent and reliant on their parents, IMO. They're also not realistic, like going off to get art degrees and ending up working at like, Target or something. It's ridiculous. In this day and age the economy is not just going to throw money at you because you have a degree in ceramics, but I digress.

I honestly would love to have parents who support me financially to do whatever I please, but all the same I'm glad I don't. I work hard for what I have and there is no one to fall back on if I mess up. While it's extremely stressful, I'm also learning a lot and I certainly have a hell of a work ethic. When I look at my apartment, EVERYTHING I own was bought with my own money. All of the food in my fridge, all of the clothes in my closet, everything. That's a real sense of satisfaction that I would definitely not give up.

edit: I'm not bagging on people who financially have to live with their parents because of job loss, medical bills, whatever. I'm more annoyed with the grown up adult who lives with their parents and wants to be a "writer" but doesn't do anything to acquire the skills required to be a legitimate "writer" (or artist, actor, whatever). They work part time at Starbucks and complain that it cramps their creativity and the real world is, like, soooo haaaaard. That's who pisses me off.

Great for you!!!! I want for my sons to experience this.

My husband and I have invested in our kids to give them all the resources they need to succeed in life. My oldest son had a full scholarship in bball and this was going to be his last year. He was majoring in Business. All of a sudden he decides he hates the school he hates Business he's tired of playing bball and he wants to drop out. He told me he has been playing sports all his life listening to coaches tell him what to do what he needs to do and now he wants to do something that is going to make him happy.

My husband and I were livid!!!!!!!! I didnt speak to him for 2 months. He wants to study music. We told him that you ned to look at something that you will be able to get a job. We told him to take out a student loan and get a job. He did find a full time job and he will start school in the Spring.

I never had that luxury and I would have loved to be able to get a full scholarship. Oh well.
  • NotRailMeat
    NotRailMeat Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I boomeranged a few times...

Out at 18 to join the Army.
    Back in at 20 while going to college.
    Out at 22 because I could afford to rent a place with a roommate.
    Back in at 23 because said roommate quit paying rent and we go evicted.
    Out at 23 when I found a new roommate.
    Back in at 25 when yet another roommate quit paying rent.
    Out at 25 when I got married. Never went back.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    which time? lol I was 17 the first time...fresh out of high school...moved to the big city of Dallas. Came back a year later....lived with parents for 6 months...started college....stuggled....moved back in for 5 months.....got my act together....moved out again...stayed gone that time