Do people get Annoyed with you?

Options
Ever have someone or family member encourage you to eat badly when they know you are watching what you eat and are doing the right thing for your health?

For me that has to be one of the most disrespectful things to do to a person. And when you gain weight they comment on it, but are quick to discourage you when you are serious.

Replies

• fitnat1luv
    Options
    Yes I had a girlfriend ridicule me because I ordered string beans with my chesseburger instead of French fries. I said im trying to eat more vegies and less fried food...she told me I should have just ordered salad. Needless to say we wont be eating out together for a while
  • AirieBerry
    AirieBerry Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Of course. My mom is always telling me to eat better but then she tries to give me unhealthy things. It defeats the purpose.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly, no. My parents are both supportive and patient with me, even when I weigh out every single thing I eat.
  • LeoUncaged
    Options
    What annoys me is when people try and make me feel like a girl for dieting or tell me that, "Men aren't supposed to be skinny, they're meant to be thick.", I tell them "sure, but that thickness is supposed to come from muscle not fat".
  • AnotherHolly
    Options
    That's my life,haha!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Believe me after losing the weight I have No One in my family tells me how to eat and if they have an opinion I will let them know if I disagree... I Love my family and I spent to many years suppressing my feelings so now it is brutal truth...... Best of Luck
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    this made me LOL - it happens all the time ("you are getting too small - please eat French fries and melted cheesy chili fries..." "don't lose anymore weight" "are you starving yourself?")

Basically everyone I love is larger than healthy - and I don't understand the issue, really, but I suspect they do not like how my progress makes them feel about themselves.

For the record, I eat 1700 calories per day and could lose 18 more pounds and still be considered a healthy weight. :)
  • lovelyx091
    lovelyx091 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    For the first time, no. My parents and boyfriend are very supportive, this time. I guess that's why it's easier for me to go through with it. People who do that are probably just those who want to lose weight but don't want to try. I know a few people like that, and it's annoying.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Nope. When I go out to eat with my mom she has actually started coping me. She asks me what I'm gonna order and then orders the same thing. It's kind of weird.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Dad did it to me all the time, but I don't really care, he's overweight now and he used to call me fat everyday, now i'm jus swole and hes not booM baby
  • Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Yep, that happens to me all the time. Don't get me wrong, I get plenty of positive feedback too. But, there's always those Debbie Downers who try to steal your thunder.

Bah. What'ev. I do my own thing.

JUST today, I had an experience where I stopped into a local business that I have frequented for a decade or more. The owner knows me, she knows where I've been, and where I am now (257 pounds lighter). She confided in me as I was leaving, and out of earshot of other employees and staff, that she had been to see a bariatric surgeon, was working her way through a program, and was having weight loss surgery next month. She told me the only two people who knew were her husband and sister.

I relayed this story to my wife this evening...she said "See, honey, you inspired her to do something."

Things like that, they far outweigh the Debbie Downers.

Just do the right thing for you, and don't look back!

-David / BootJockey
    257 Pounds Lost
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    People get annoyed with me all the time. ;)

Oh, we're talking about health and fitness?

I would say yes and no. Sometimes I don't know when to stop talking about it because I forget that, beyond me getting healthier and being happier, they don't really care that much. Like, nobody cares if I burned 1200 calories in the course of a day, or if I lost a half a pound, or whatever. The specifics don't interest them, but I get excited about my achievements and want to share. I guess that's where this place comes in handy.

I find that my husband can sometimes, sort of get annoyed with me. Most of the time he's supportive, but every so often he wants me to just sit on the couch and watch movies and stuff my face with junk food with him. Only, he's super athletic and thin because he works in an extremely physically demanding job, so he doesn't need to think about stuff like that the way I do. So he gets frustrated that I'm not wanting to do that, or to eat the really delicious (but high calorie) foods he's making. For the most part, it's all good. But those times sort of suck.
  • VixenArgentum
    VixenArgentum Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I kinda dread what Thanksgiving will be like if my weight loss so far is anything to go by.

"Here, eat something! Your cheeks are too thin!"

Some people will congratulate you...but I find that for the most part, people don't like it when you change.
  • lexoxoc
    lexoxoc Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    SO MANY PEOPLE. They are just jealous, misereble, jerks!
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Not really. I rarely eat out and when I do, it's with family and close friends and it's normally my cheat meal of the week. No one comments on my intake because I relax at that meal.

At work, ppl roll their eyes when they ask if I am ordering crap and I say, no I brought the same dish as yesterday. But 1) F'em and 2) they aren't ppl that I care about, so back to #1
  • mikeymoney
    mikeymoney Posts: 37
    Options
    Wow this topic got a lot of responses
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I would suppose that there are those that would as much be annoyed with me, as me with them. Some sentiments you may hear out loud, and some you may not. It is just human nature, though it does not mean that we should all put up with it. I am somewhat a recluse and would prefer to stay at home, if I really did not have to meet people. I am my own best company - I think (but am working on this, and so far so good).

Since one cannot help/control what others do/say, one can only work on oneself. The rest, well, are afterthoughts - me thinks :)

I imagine a world in which we are all alike. I think we would drive each other more mad than we do now! All those people with similar trait, personalities...ugh! :) As thus, gums will always flap...it is what you do post-gum-flapping that matters.
  • RAEQ127
    RAEQ127 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Only when I'm on my phone at dinner or what have you logging my food. LoL Otherwise everyone is supportive, but you're always going to catch the one person that wants to keep the old status quo or makes your old habits creep back up.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Yes. Most of my thoughts are about becoming fit. Therefore, it's all I talk about.