Walking isn't cardio vascular?

Options
I've been walking 3 miles a day (4-5 times a week) for a three months now. My walk includes hills and a brisk pace (3.5 - 4 miles per hour). I no longer struggle with breathing and walking feels like a breeze.

But I was talking with my dad and he's like "Walking is great for you - but you need cardio vascular exercises too". I get my heart rate up with walking, but I guess not high enough? Also, the walking makes me sweat, so I just assumed that I was working my whole body. And then the weight loss - 29lbs. I didn't think you could lose weight unless the exercise was somewhat intense.

I do EA Active 2 - 3 times a week, but I guess if I want to make my heart healthy, I need to do more. I also ride my bike at least once a week (for an hour). So, I guess I'm wondering if my 'mindset' is totally wrong.

Replies

• raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    Options
    Walking is definitely cardio :)
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    If it's working for you and you're comfortable...I don't see a reason you need to change.

Now, there may come a time when your body gets used to what you're doing. Then you might want to change some things, but if you're not there yet. Don't worry about it.

...and to answer the original question...it is.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    If walking is NOT Cardio, I am in BIG Trouble!!!!
  • Karmel1840
    Options
    Sounds to me like you are doing great!
  • Jenellec77
    Options
    Most definitely walking is cardio! Also long as you get your heat rate up and you are sweating, you are on the right track. Keep up the good work!
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    From the WebMD site.

Walking is a form of aerobic exercise and is one of the easiest ways to increase your physical activity and improve your health. Physical activity increases your heart rate, strengthens your heart, and increases blood circulation through your body, bringing more oxygen and nutrients to your organs. Exercise also increases your lungs' ability to take in oxygen, lowers blood pressure, helps to reduce body fat, and improves blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
    Key points

* Have a checkup before beginning an exercise program. If you have heart problems, your doctor may want to do tests to find out how much activity your heart can safely handle.

* A recent study shows that if you have heart problems, a home walking program may be as beneficial as participating in a hospital- or clinic-based cardiac rehabilitation program.2 This can be important for people who don't have access to organized cardiac rehab.

From the American Heart Association Web site

Walking Toward a Healthier You

There are countless physical activities out there, but walking has the lowest dropout rate of them all! It's the simplest positive change you can make to effectively improve your heart health.

Research has shown that the benefits of walking and moderate physical activity for at least 30 minutes a day can help you:

* Reduce the risk of coronary heart disease
    * Improve blood pressure and blood sugar levels
    * Improve blood lipid profile
    * Maintain body weight and lower the risk of obesity
    * Enhance mental well being
    * Reduce the risk of osteoporosis
    * Reduce the risk of breast and colon cancer
    * Reduce the risk of non-insulin dependent (type 2) diabetes

There really are so many benefits for such a simple activity!

Keep walking. Low impact and great for you. Our families love us but they are not experts.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Walking is definitely cardio activity! Especially if you're going up hills and walking at a brisk pace, as you described. Anything that gets your heart rate up is good for your cardiovascular system.

Since you said walking feels like a breeze now, maybe you should try challenging yourself and jogging a little? Just a thought. :smile: I'd highly recommend the C25K plan, which slowly introduces you to jogging by having you do intervals of walking and jogging, which changes every week to build up your endurance. It's a 9 week plan.
  • Andre_Demers
    Options
    Walking is a great exercise for a start. Once you see it's too easy then you have to add to it. Anyways your exercise must increase has you lose weight. :)
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Walking is cardio if it raises your heart rate and is sustained. You can lose lots of weight just walking. As you get used to walking you may have to find ways to make it more challanging to get your heart rate up. Choose some hills, add weights, alternate walking with a short jog.....
    On another note. I am interested in EA sports, that's wii exercise.... What is your favorite activities?
    I am using wii fit plus and find the island cycle for half hour gets my heart rate up and gets me sweating.
  • Steelytop
    Steelytop Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Walking alone can be the only exercise you ever need. Take it from me I used to walk all over this town when I was a kid and it was very easy to keep any weight off back then. But a perfect exercise is one where you kind've get your mind off what you're doing and keep it elsewhere while you're getting the much needed exercise. With walking all your senses are busy taking it all in.

I personally use an elliptical cross-trainer but mainly because of the low-impact exercise. I go as fast as I can go with head phones on for 60 minutes per day. 4 to 5 days per week. It's paying off in dividends! As fast as I'm going it looks like running to others around me but much easier at my current weight on the knees.
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Walking is definitely cardio activity! Especially if you're going up hills and walking at a brisk pace, as you described. Anything that gets your heart rate up is good for your cardiovascular system.

Since you said walking feels like a breeze now, maybe you should try challenging yourself and jogging a little? Just a thought. :smile: I'd highly recommend the C25K plan, which slowly introduces you to jogging by having you do intervals of walking and jogging, which changes every week to build up your endurance. It's a 9 week plan.

Or challenge yourself to do parts, or all, of the walk at a faster pace, increase the length of you walk but still try to do it in the same time frame, or get a heart rate monitor make sure you are walking within your target heart rate by great and great percentages. You don't have to become a jogger or runner to stay healthy and fit. I'm not saying don't become a jobber or runner, I'm just saying there are other options that keep you walking if that's what you like. Liking your exercise it the best way to insure you will be doing it two, four, twenty-five years from now. Keep up the great work.
  • decemberg
    Options
    You need to have your heart rate elevated for a period of time before you are truely getting a fat buring cardiovascular workout. For me my ideal heart rate when working out hard is around 150-160 BPM. I find when I walk I barely get above 110 BPM. I would invest in a inexpensive heart rate monitor so you can keep track for yourself. Also, remember that the first 20 minutes is just cardio....once you get past that point you will start to burn stored fat.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Cardio is short for cardiovascular, which refers to the heart. Cardiovascular exercise is exercise that raises your heart rate and keeps it elevated for a period of time. Normaly you will want to keep it at 10 minuets with out stop but of course can be as long as you want.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Walking is what I do everyday plus weekends. It is the best thing for you to move.
    You might want to try raising your heart rate with another exercise, but walking is
    totally cardio.
  • TMLS
    TMLS Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's definitely cardio! And one of the key parts of what I've done so far, keep at it. :)
  • misstabithakan
    Options
    walking i def cardio and good for you. When i used to walk to work i lost tonnes of weight just because of that. However, if you are starting to find walking getting easier maybe it would be a good idea to introduce a few short runs, just to keep up the improovement of your fitness. But as long as you can feel your heart rate increase and you feel as if you are doing the excercise you need then its prob cool to keep up with what you are doing. sounds like you have done brilliantly well so far :-)
  • misstabithakan
    Options
    walking i def cardio and good for you. When i used to walk to work i lost tonnes of weight just because of that. However, if you are starting to find walking getting easier maybe it would be a good idea to introduce a few short runs, just to keep up the improovement of your fitness. But as long as you can feel your heart rate increase and you feel as if you are doing the excercise you need then its prob cool to keep up with what you are doing. sounds like you have done brilliantly well so far :-)
  • Keep doing what you are doing. If you are feeling better, losing weight, and getting to your goals be happy with exactly what you are doing! Don't change a thing!
  • cindybone
    cindybone Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I hear you on that 1. I do alot of walking.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    If walking is NOT Cardio, I am in BIG Trouble!!!!

big as in 169 pounds??? :laugh: