Do people get Annoyed with you?

Options

Replies

• honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Yep. I mentioned to my best friend this afternoon how I wanted to start working out again and she insisted that I was too thin and needed to eat. She said that I am being annoying by thinking I needed to lose weight.
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    My grandma would always pinch my love handles and comment on how much weight I had gained. Then she would offer me homemade cookies or pie..

My grandma did this, too. In fact, she was probably the worst when I was a kid. She had baked goods and sugar EVERYWHERE, and ate it like no tomorrow, but she was so snarky on people's weight, especially mine. To this day she will point out if she thinks I am looking "Slimmer." Thanks, gram, but I'm not 12 anymore.
  • NYgirl1990
    NYgirl1990 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It happens to me when it comes to my food allergies that I did not choose to have. People get mad at me when I say "oh I can't have that, i'm allergic". I think they think that I'm being spoiled or something but I am truly allergic to those foods and it's like they get mad when I can't even help it.
  • SwitzEngine
    SwitzEngine Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I cut the fat away.
  • tasha_1306
    tasha_1306 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yep. My on/off again boyfriend tries to tell me that counting calories is obsessive and unhealthy. He gets ****ty when he thinks i'm not eating enough even though I am. He also gets annoyed if I refuse chocolates etc.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I don't let it bother me.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    Of course. My mom is always telling me to eat better but then she tries to give me unhealthy things. It defeats the purpose.

^^The same.
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    Yep... Most of my friends eat meat. I don't and haven't for over half a year now, and even when I did, I didn't often because it's always been difficult for me. Some of them, I find it hard to eat around (the more obvious and overt things which blatantly remind me that what's on their plate was at one point alive make me gag, like visible tendons or cartilage), so I just don't go to dinner with them any more, or make sure I'm seated away from them.

Lately, I was out with a few of my friends, one who I would describe as "veggie-ophobic," passed me her side salad (which had Caesar dressing on it... which includes anchovy paste... but w/e, I was already having salad, I didn't really want hers), and made a comment about how I like "rabbit food" and a couple of the others said things like "it's green, give it to Cora." Now, I know it was meant to be funny, but it gets annoying enough being stared at like I've grown an extra head out of the side of my neck when I ask for pretty much anything without meat. Servers at places like Chipotle are known to stare at me and go "no meat? Are you sure?" when I say "No meat, just double veggies, please" like they can't believe I wouldn't want meat.

I don't sit there and lecture them about why I don't eat meat. If they choose to stop eating it, I'm supportive, and if they choose not to, that's up to them. I tell them if they ask, and I have a habit of asking for extra of things which have good iron and protein content because I am anemic, so the "lack of protein" arguments don't work on me - especially considering I have long hair and my nails grow just fine, which are indications that my protein levels are just fine. I'm fine to have the "why I don't eat meat" conversation at virtually any time, but mocking comments do get tiresome. Also, some people seem to think that this lifestyle choice is difficult for me. It isn't. It's actually the most natural for me. As a child, I had to be bribed or forced to eat any sort of meat (yes, I was that weird child who didn't like cheeseburgers and would choose avocado with some salt on it over candy), so, in all honesty, I'm just going back to the way I've always preferred to eat, and the weight loss was just a happy coincidence at first. I'm not preachy about it. I consider it a personal choice, and it's one I'm quite content in. My getting healthier and lower cholesterol was originally a consequence of the fact that I filled the space that meat had been filling with mostly steamed green vegetables (which I legitimately like), and I've never been much of a fan of butter. After some research, I decided to consciously try to lose weight, and I've settled on my current methods, which work quite nicely for me and simplify my life, really.

My grandfather gets annoyed with me because I won't eat dishes that have been cooked with meat in, and I ask about the ingredients in everything. He tells me to just "eat around" the meat, and doesn't really understand that the juices from the chicken, pork, beef or fish are still present, so if I just pick it out, I might as well just eat it as it was cooked. I've gotten called spoiled, picky, ungrateful (I purchase, cook and clean up after all of my own food, so idk where he gets that idea. I also pay part of the electricity, water and gas bills, so my eating habits literally don't cost him a dime, ever. If anything, he saves money off of it because I often buy extra fruit and vegetables that he and my grandmother are welcome to if they want them) and that I'm "buying into Hollywood ideas," (... o_O?!! ... whatever that means) as well as getting lectures about how God says that we're supposed to eat meat. I'm not entirely sure where they're trying to go with that one since they're painfully aware that I'm not a Christian.
  • shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    No one, and I mean NO ONE has ever tried to tell me how to eat. Ever. NEVER. I'm rather amazed that so many people run into this... maybe I'm sheltered... (doubtful)

At any rate. If anyone ever tries, my answer will simply be this: "You didn't tell me I had to correct my eating when I was obese - you don't get to tell me I have to change something now that I'm Healthy"

This. On occasion, folks have given me grief about eating chocolate or not eating chocolate (or other foods), but that was decades ago. I still think about that, but it truly doesn't get me down. Some people are mean, some people are well-meaning. I have realized I am responsible for my choices, regardless of past or present behaviours and treatment. :drinker:
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Ever have someone or family member encourage you to eat badly when they know you are watching what you eat and are doing the right thing for your health?

For me that has to be one of the most disrespectful things to do to a person. And when you gain weight they comment on it, but are quick to discourage you when you are serious.

ALL THE TIME.

And yet they know I'm not one to never eat a burger or chocolate cake, I eat "bad food" all the time, because taste buds, but that one time I actually prefer to order a salad, LET THE CRITICISM BEGIN!
  • aalicia88
    aalicia88 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    What annoys me is when people try and make me feel like a girl for dieting or tell me that, "Men aren't supposed to be skinny, they're meant to be thick.", I tell them "sure, but that thickness is supposed to come from muscle not fat".

I'm very immature at times you see so I would probably come back with, "your mom knows how thick I am" :p
  • andresconejo
    Options
    All the time.
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Not outwardly, but I always feel a bit sorry for my boyfriend when he gets all excited about cooking me a meal and it's a calorie laden monstrosity! I try to have small portions but I feel like he might be a bit annoyed about my constantly checking everything we eat for calories.
  • thegabbleduck
    thegabbleduck Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    To an extent, my boyfriend tends to lecture me about calorie counting, but that is mainly because last time I did this (several years ago) I got rather obsessed and ended up restricting to about 500 calories a day, so I think he is just scared that will happen again!

My grandma (when she was alive) was queen of the "you have put on weight... have some cake!" It always just made me laugh at her!
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I'm so annoying in so many other ways that what I eat is the least of peoples worries.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Probable, but who cares? It's my life and my body!
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    My parents do it sometimes. They're both VERY slim, for instance my mom is 95 pounds.

Mom tries to feed me something yummy all the time but now when I'm on a weightloss plan, she tries to encourage me to follow it as strict as possible. If I'm ordering something, she always asks if that's what I may eat, if its enough protein, veggies, and etc.

My dad is a different story. He tells me that I'm horribly fat, comparing me to my modeling past. But always offers me warm croissants for breakfast and macaroons for coffee. I'm like "daaaaaaaaaaaaaad, stop it!"

Neither my bf, nor my coworkers nor friends say anything because they don't see big change in my diet - I still eat a lot.
  • harley1968
    harley1968 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Recently all my family, mum, dad, brother and then husband have told me how 'fat' I am getting...not very nice when they all have a go. But as I have told them I have stopped smoking (since April) it's hard to do both.

But then when I told them I was going to start cutting down the first thing that was said was 'don't go too mad', arghhh you really just can't win sometimes.

But I do hate it when people are watching me eat and thinking about what sort of remark they can make about it......:grumble:

I should say that I get annoyed with other people, but they are times when they will try to tempt me into having something nice...
  • bethyng
    bethyng Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That is the reason I don't really tell people that I am losing weight. I think you just have to remember that you are doing this for yourself and not anyone else.
  • bethyng
    bethyng Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My grandmother did that too.