Problems eating late

Options
:noway: Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could snack on later.. I know I probably should just stay OUT the kitchen after a certain time... And also does anyone know what TOO LATE is to eat??? struggling with these nights...:sad:

Replies

• ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    If you are within your calorie limits you can eat at anytime you want.
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    If you are within your calorie limits you can eat at anytime you want.

+1

I generally try not to eat close to bedtime. That's just me and my own weight loss superstitions.

But studies seem to indicate that it's not as important what you do hour by hour or day by day.

What's important is your consistency over time.
  • JuantonBliss
    JuantonBliss Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Normally, I think it's after7, that you don't digest food as well, but other than that relatively it doesn't matter much other than what you are consuming.
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    Kiwi - 50 calories
    yellow mango - 100 calories
    small granola bars - 100 calories
    small bag of pretzels - 100 calories.
    Peaches - 60 calories
    one Oreo double stuff - 70 calories ;)
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Normally, I think it's after7, that you don't digest food as well, but other than that relatively it doesn't matter much other than what you are consuming.

That is not true.
  • JanMarie2BHealthy
    Options
    When I feel a late night snack attack - I visit the success stories here at MFP and it passes some time. I do not know if there is a "do not eat at this time of night rule of thumb".
  • lizbeths88
    Options
    This has been working for me lately, I will try to eat a bigger meal for dinner that actually fills me up and then I will log in my snack that I know im going to want at 9,10 or 11 . Prepare your snack ahead of time so you have them ready and you don't find yourself grazing through the refrigerator or worse the pantry. I sometimes even log my exercises waaay earlier and it actually works in getting me to do them.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's never too late to eat.
  • rgr625
    rgr625 Posts: 2
    Options
    Ive heard 3 hours before bedtime
  • deebrown1374
    Options
    Interesting.. Thank you so much for your replies...:happy:
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I eat in bed if I have the calories left :) Why not reserve a few for a late night snack...?
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    It's a myth about eating late at night. If you have calories within your allowance, despite it going over to the next day on MFP, you can eat. It's not going to make you fat, at all. I am the proof.

I work strange hours, I usually end up having breakfast at between 6pm and 7pm, lunch at 1am and then dinner around 6am, then usually I am in bed for 9am, I sometimes have a bowl of cereal. As long as it fits into your calories, you can eat as late as you like.
  • deebrown1374
    Options
    This is what I've done today, logged all of it ahead of time and planned ahead, and yet I still found myself munching on some dark chocolate with almonds. good grief... although I did log it as a bar earlier, and only ate half so i'm hoping that will just work itself into that calorie intake...I do find this to be very is helpful.. Thank you ...
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Best time to eat is individual. Doesn't work for me to eat late, my body seems to need the "fasting" time from 7pm on.
    Just do what works for you right now. If you think you shouldn't then don't.
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid carbs later at night, but some people swear by them to help with sleep.
    For me it's helped with my cut to not do them with dinner or my night snack, so I do almonds, cheese sticks, Greek yogurt or something like that for a snack after dinner.
  • 123im4u2c
    Options
    Hi,
    At least you ate something good for you! You can eat dark chocolate and almonds everyday, just don't go overboard!
    Both are very good for your heart!
  • Majda1234_wechange
    Majda1234_wechange Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have just had a conversation with a dietitian so I will try to help you. Do you exercise? And if you do how much and what kind?
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    If I were eating late at night, my goal would probably be to cut the hunger so I can get to sleep soon and stay there. Nuts take my system some work to digest; so do empty carbs. Not what I want right before I hit the sack. So I'd reach for either something light that will digest easily (e.g., fresh fruit) or something soporific and protein-dense (e.g., turkey or eggs or yogurt/skyr). The former if I'm just munchy-snacky hungry, the latter if I'm rumbly-stomach eat-the-paint-off-the-walls hungry. And plenty of water, because I always seem to wake up a bit dehydrated.

So that's what I'd suggest to you. Real food for real hunger, and fairly low calories in any case -- to avoid messing with a good night's sleep. Good luck. :)
  • chariette
    Options
    Hi I have this problem as well but what has helped me during this past week is drinking lots of water, and especially making sure that I have my bottles of water ready, even though I can pour from the brita cup it makes it easier to just reach for the water bottle. I also keep containers of cut up fruit in the fridge, but the one that seems to keep me staving off the munchies are grapes and plums. Sometimes I will eat about 3 grapes if i need to or another night maybe half of a black plum. Ive also found that cherries, the really dark red ones are sweet and help with my nighttime munchies as well.

I really do hope this helps (I havent cheated yet, so I think its working)

Hang in there, or we can hang in together.:smile:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options

I generally try not to eat close to bedtime. That's just me and my own weight loss superstitions.

But studies seem to indicate that it's not as important what you do hour by hour or day by day.

What's important is your consistency over time.
    Here here
    My whole goal has been to make good habits and patterns...a lifestyle that produces fitness.
    That and to lift heavy...to get a really awesome weights workout.