Good shoes for working out?

Options
I've been wearing Nike shox. They're about 6 years old and my feet kill me after cardio. Suggestions?

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Are you planning to run? If so, go to a running store and have your gait evaluated, and don't skimp on the money.

Otherwise, I would buy whatever looks pretty to you at the athletic shoe store and fits within your budget...
  • tygirl83
    tygirl83 Posts: 6
    Options
    Are you planning to run? If so, go to a running store and have your gait evaluated, and don't skimp on the money.

Otherwise, I would buy whatever looks pretty to you at the athletic shoe store and fits within your budget...

I primarily do the treadmill and the elliptical.
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I bought newer Nike's from the outlet store when I went to Vegas. They are great. It's weird how work out shoes are so light now.. you will know what I mean when you try a pair on!
  • callandert
    callandert Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have been told by various sources that you should replace your shoes every one to two years as the arch support, etc. does break down over time. I had Nikes that were over two years old but I thought they were just fine. They still looked virtually new (I only wore inside at the gym)...but then my feet started to hurt as well.

So I broke down, went and bought a new pair...and problem solved! No more sore feet! It made a world of difference!
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I have been looking into this too as I just dumped my old trainers after completing the mud run.

What kind of exercising will you be doing?

If you are doing circuits/cardio class then you will want to look into a cross trainer. They are designed to give you more side-to-side protection/support (read: no rolled ankles). Nike, New Balance, Avia all make great ones. These are probably OK for basic cardio machines/treadmills and a distance up to 5K jogging.

If you are going to be running, then go to a running store and have them evaluate your gait, stance etc. Bring your current shoes with you, they will check the wear pattern to determine how you strike your foot.

Also, feet swell when running, so an actual running shoe should have a little bit of room in them to accomodate that. But, a cross trainer should fit snugly without rubbing/pinching/squeezing.
  • Shelby1582
    Shelby1582 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Shocks are terrible for your feet! The way that the heel is raised up causes shin splints and runners are more likely to trip and have an ankle injury. I used to wear shocks and then realized that they were causing my shin splints when I was doing insanity. I switched to Brooks and I'm so happy. I like the Ghost but I have a high arch and they support it while being really lightweight and breathable.
  • bumblebums
    Options

If you run on the treadmill, then I would get fitted for new running shoes. Six years is definitely past the expiration date if you've been running in them.

I don't think it matters too much what kind of shoes you wear on the elliptical, as long as they are comfortable.
  • ashzacher
    ashzacher Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have had a ton of foot/ankle problems in the past. I used to swear by Nike, and figured the ankle problems (I have compartment syndrome, where I get giant bumps in my ankles and they swell. It's so weird) weren't caused from my shoes. My sister is a seasoned runner and suggested I try her Asics instead of my Nikes - it made a world of a difference. Ultimately you'll find what's best for you, but at the very least, I will suggest Asics - I will never go back to Nike for running!
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have been looking into this too as I just dumped my old trainers after completing the mud run.

What kind of exercising will you be doing?

If you are doing circuits/cardio class then you will want to look into a cross trainer. They are designed to give you more side-to-side protection/support (read: no rolled ankles). Nike, New Balance, Avia all make great ones. These are probably OK for basic cardio machines/treadmills and a distance up to 5K jogging.

If you are going to be running, then go to a running store and have them evaluate your gait, stance etc. Bring your current shoes with you, they will check the wear pattern to determine how you strike your foot.

Also, feet swell when running, so an actual running shoe should have a little bit of room in them to accomodate that. But, a cross trainer should fit snugly without rubbing/pinching/squeezing.

THIS!

If you wan to run, get running shoes from a running store that will analyse your gait and find you the perfect shoe. Running shoes are meant for running forward, not for other types of movements. It will prevent injuries.

If you are doing other exercises, you'll need a cross trainer. They allow for greater range of motion than running shoes, so they are more versatile. They are not designed for long distance running though.

The most important thing is that they fit properly! This is why specialty stores are so important... sorry but footlocker has no idea what they are selling you, don't go there!
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Six years (unless they are new in the carton) is pretty old for a set of shoes. Shoes only last between 300 and 500 miles before the cushioning breaks down and/or they begin to wear away. That's just the way it is.

Don't skimp on shoes or your feet will start a rebellion. And find a store where they can really evaluate your feet, gait, etc.

I rotate through 3 pairs of shoes and go through about 6 pairs a year.
  • bumblebums
    Options
    I have had a ton of foot/ankle problems in the past. I used to swear by Nike, and figured the ankle problems (I have compartment syndrome, where I get giant bumps in my ankles and they swell. It's so weird) weren't caused from my shoes. My sister is a seasoned runner and suggested I try her Asics instead of my Nikes - it made a world of a difference. Ultimately you'll find what's best for you, but at the very least, I will suggest Asics - I will never go back to Nike for running!

Both Nike and Asics make a pretty large variety of shoes. Some of them will fit your needs, others will not. I have had some great shoes from Nike and some that were horrible for my feet. This is why runners go and get fitted for shoes at a store by a professional.
  • deanabailey
    deanabailey Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I love my Asics. I run, strength train, do cardio and HITT workouts and they are super comfortable.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Sounds like they're worn out.

Running shoes generally last about 400-500 miles, subject to gait, weight etc.

I've used Reeboks and Nikes in the past but I've been consistently using Saucony for a while, it's a very personal choice. I'm a heavy over-pronator and they seem to work best. Nike were just hidesously expensive and not really any better than anything else on the market.
  • DawnOBRN
    DawnOBRN Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I swear by Brooks Ariel!!!

Also, as others have said, go to a specialty store for shoes/foot problems. I used to have horrible heel/ankle/knee pain, but this all resolved after having the right shoe!

www.footsolutions.com
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of Nike Free Trainers (not the running shoes). Unless I feel the need to run a long distance, I find them to be a nice balance for light running, cardio, and weight training. Just my 2 cents.
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I think you'd have a problem no matter what brand of shoes you were wearing, considering they are six years old! After a certain # of miles, your tennis shoes definitely need replacing (wish I could remember the #). I've also heard to replace every 6 -12 months.

I love my Nikes. I am currently wearing Nike Free 5s for my walking. They are comfy and super light weight. Also they are hot pink and bright green, which makes me happy:) I hope you find some new shoes that work well for your needs!
  • RingTailedFox
    RingTailedFox Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have the New Balance Minimus Zeroes. Here's a link:

http://www.newbalance.com/Minimus-Zero/WR00,default,pd.html?dwvar_WR00_color=Diva Pink_with_Blue_and_White&start=20&cgid=201000

I've got early arthritis in my knees and hips (Thanks, Grandma!) When I switched to these I have considerably less knee pain. I find that I run on my toes now instead of slamming down on my heel like I did with the old fashioned style of running shoes.

Plus, they are cute and I get lots of compliments!