At what age did you first move out?

Options
12346»

Replies

• bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    So when did you first move out? 15.

What were your feelings regarding it? Freedom? Guilt? My mum needed me home to look after my baby brother and do housework, and i needed to get an education. She kicked me out in the heat of the moment after an argument because i told her i needed to be at school, and she told me i wasn't pulling my weight. So i left and never lived with her again. I'd stay for a while, but turned into a bit of a hobo and kept moving around. I felt (and still do) guilty because i love my baby bro and felt like i was abandoning him.

If you could go back and tell yourself something upon first moving out, what would it be? Tips and tricks for example.
    Was it easy? Was it hard? Moving out was easy. Living independently was easy. I used to get lonely sometimes though, but i had good friends. Even though i had a flat of my own i rarely stayed there and would often just doss anywhere.

What do you think of the culture around 'leaving the nest' vs 'communal living' (IE some families traditionally living together for generations) Is this a largely western phenomenon? I don't think anything about this. Do what is right for you. My stepdad stayed home until he was 34. i left at 15. My baby bro is now 19 and he's still at home.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    So when did you first move out? 20 years old
    What were your feelings regarding it? Freedom? Guilt? FREEDOM!!!! I was happy to move out. I got along with my parents so much better after moving out. My dad paid first month's rent and my mom helped me find some roommates on Craigslist. I found a great place and some people with good steady jobs in their late 20s, eartly 30s.
    If you could go back and tell yourself something upon first moving out, what would it be? Tips and tricks for example.
    Was it easy? Was it hard? It was hard in a way as its all new and you always start out with a crappy job and barely enough money. Eventually you find a decent job and hopefully have a game plan. Just keep on trucking and figure out your goals and start them as soon as possible. Also save!
    What do you think of the culture around 'leaving the nest' vs 'communal living' (IE some families traditionally living together for generations) Is this a largely western phenomenon? I think if you are in school and you live near by you should live with your parents unless you can truly afford dorms without loans. Otherwise get a trade skill or try and find a decent place to work with health insurance and a 401k then move out. 18 is a great age to try it out either way.... I don't support adults who stay with their parents by choice and just live like a kid their whole life.

I also recommend not to rush into any relationships and play it smart when it comes to dating... Partying is good for you but don't make it your life. Stay away from drugs and pay the bills on time. Save a little.

I started out at 20 years old with nothing... a 10 - 15 hour a week job at a retail store and was rooming with 3 people in a nice house. I eventually found the ever common full time call center job which I knew was a means to an end and worked there for a year before going back to school. I was lucky in that I met my husband in that job and was able to not work with his support. I got my associates degree and transferred back to the university I had at one time got kicked out of. I almost have an accounting degree done with a good GPA and also landed a very nice job. We live a great life now and built it all up from the ground up. It's a great feeling making something out of yourself without your parents or anything there to tell you what to do. I also feel like it calmed my wild spirit, gave me meaning and a purpose, and also something to look back on with pride.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    17, when I went to college, and was excited about the freedom.
  • legreene515
    legreene515 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I went to college at 18, but I didn't technically live on my own until after I graduated from college at 22. That's when I got my own place and paid my own living expenses.
  • girliepotternerd
    Options
    17 ^.^
  • Tinytaru
    Tinytaru Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    wow seeing all these answers.. I was pretty late, 27 when I first moved out but I couldn't really afford it before and I was so much nicer living at home, didnt have to cook/wash/clean up :tongue:
  • bobwest185
    bobwest185 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    definitely not a western thing. The Asians live together routinely in multi-generational homes. My guess is it is more farming related. Families stay on their land and look after each other.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Turned 18 on July 31, 1972. Enterred the Marine Corps 4 days later. August 4.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I was 17 and had just graduated high school. It would have been nice to do things the conventional way and go off to college, but I have had so many experiences that I wouldn't have had otherwise. I feel no guilt over leaving.
  • calbadger
    calbadger Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I was 17 and off to college.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options

Did get homesick the first month I moved out, but having supportive friends and family stop by to my apartment couple times a week sure made my experience of moving out go smoother.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I moved into a college dorm when I was 18. After graduation, I moved back in with my parents. I bought a house when I was 26.
  • SienaJoelle
    Options
    Stayed at home for community college and I am turning 18 this month and moving in October when I get married. I am glad that I am not moving in together before marriage because it gives us a chance to experience something new together and grow together in that aspect. Not to mention I am religious and don't feel comfortable moving in with him before marriage (not against people who do though).
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I was 18 and moved in with my boyfriend.
  • JesseDP00
    JesseDP00 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I was 18 and joined the military...if I could go back in time I would tell myself not to grow up so fast and follow my dreams.

8488541.png
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options
  • csw92
    csw92 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I was 15 when I moved out, stayed on a lot of friends couches until I was old enough to get a job.
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options