Distance tracker

What's a good brand tracker for recording miles run? I want to sign up for a 5k but have no idea how far I can run at the moment. It's in about a month. How long would it take to train for one?

Replies

• SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    I've been having a look for something too. I know you can get GPS running watches that will track distance, speed etc. But they tend to be quite expensive and I haven't quite been able to make the plunge into buying one
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    I love the nike running app on m phone. It's free to download. It keeps track of your distance and speed and over time tells you how you are progressing compared to previous runs. It's pretty nice.
  • hhill83
    hhill83 Posts: 22 Member
    I use a free app on my phone called Map my Run if that's any help?
  • PheonixRizing
    PheonixRizing Posts: 131 Member
    I used endomondo as it does many activities. It has gps and keeps track of all sorts of stuff.
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Free app - MapMyFitness
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    I use runkeeper

Free, and you can listen to your play lists as you run.

I think alot of the apps are very similar?
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Another vote for MapMyRun
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    I don't have a smart phone, so can't use any gps apps. I was using the website version of mapmyrun. I would plan my runs in advance so I knew about how far I was running. But the planned routes bored me. I wanted to be able to take a spontaneous turn and still know how far I'd run. You could always try mapping your run afterwards on the website, i suppose. But I'm training for distance at the mo and don't finish a run until I've reached a predetermined distance.

I broke down and got a Garmin Forerunner 10. Love it! I've have since found that I can't rely on the signs posted at some parks claiming their loop is a mile, two have come up short! With a gps tracker whether you run or walk the distance will be correctly calculated.

In the very beginning, I had a digital pedometer for tracking my steps. It also had a feature that tracked total distance. But the problem was, it used a set stride distance to calculate how far I'd gone. My stride for walking is about 7 inches different than my running stride. So on trips where I would run/walk the distance was screwed up. It can count all my steps as walking or all my steps as running, it couldn't tell the difference. 7 inches difference per step really adds up.

Whatever your tool, be it smart phone or watch...gps tracking is the best.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Another vote for MapMyRun

Does MapMyRun send info on calorie burn to myfitnesspal? I know runkeeper does now(last month or so I tihnk)
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    I use runtastic and LOVE it....similar to mapmyrun but I like the runtastic website better so thats what I use....any of those free apps should work as long as they detect gps and use an accurate map.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,658 Member
    What's a good brand tracker for recording miles run? I want to sign up for a 5k but have no idea how far I can run at the moment. It's in about a month. How long would it take to train for one?

I measure my courses on GMapsPedometer, it is possible to save each course on that site and add notes too.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
  • hhill83
    hhill83 Posts: 22 Member
    It doesn't send the, itself but it does tell you how many you've burned so you can input it yourself
  • paleopin
    paleopin Posts: 47
    thanks everyone! I think I'll probably just try the phone app to start off and see how that goes