Who Are Your Go-To "Gurus"?

Replies

• AnaCoffee
    AnaCoffee Posts: 95 Member
    Richard Simmons is my mood guru. Teaching you to value yourself and get up and move because you're worth taking care of is a wonderful message and he always peps me up to keep going!
    That's exactly who I was going to mention. :flowerforyou:

I did his Sweatin' to the Oldies video today for my workout. He has people of all sizes in his videos, is so upbeat, and honestly cares about people. His routines aren't easy, but he's so perky and encouraging, and seeing other folks at your own size doing the same workout, you know you can do it too. I just adore him and he's such a great pick-me-up for those days where you don't want to workout, but know you have to. I can't wait for my new RS video to come in the mail this week. :heart:

Not a guru for me per say as I've never looked into her background, but do love her workout videos, is Lelsie Sansone. I have a number of her Walk Away the Pounds dvds and for someone at my weight, lack of coordination, with back problems, and going from the couch to exercising 5-6 days a week, she's perfect. I can't do all of her workouts yet, but I'm getting there. I like how she encourages you to just keep moving, march in place if you have to and can't do all the moves. I like that. :smile:

From both Sansone and Simmons, I need that "Just do your best. I know you can do it!" encouragement. It keeps me motivated. Three weeks now and I think I've exercised more than I did even 12 yrs ago when I had (and could afford) a gym membership and lost the weight the first time.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    I don't have any gurus. I read a lot about sports nutrition, if something seems interesting to me I adjust my diet accordingly and see how my body responds, but as I believe that everybody and every body is different, I don't think there's one plan to fit all.

Worth reading in my opinion (in random order):
    Lauren Cordain
    Robb Wolf
    Mark Sisson
    Pauline Nordin (Fighter Diet)
    Lyle McDonald
    Mario diPasquale
    Michael Pollan
    Wolfgang Lutz
  • GnosisGnosis
    GnosisGnosis Posts: 148
    Bruce Lee, and Arnold schwarzenegger, with the hope of being aesthetically in between those two. Also, Joe Rogan, and most of the top Brazilian Jiu Jitsu competitors.
  • cluelessang
    cluelessang Posts: 36 Member
    bump
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    I don't do "gurus" - if it's got classroom-level credibility, I read it.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    I don't do "gurus" - if it's got classroom-level credibility, I read it.

I wouldn't get too caught up in the terminology, hence it being in quotes.

All I meant was certain people you follow for fitness/nutrition advice or motivation. I don't have time to read every fitness article online, so I like to follow people that I trust and/or that do a great job of curating relevant fitness content - saves me time!

Some great responses on the this thread - going to check out some of the recommendations!

Funny to see the mention of Richard Simmons. When I was younger - I could not stand him. I dunno if he was too camp to me or what it was. Just found him grating and annoying. The past year though I have read a couple different articles that really put him in a new light to me. Although he isn't going to be the type of guy that motivates me - he has helped a load of people. I read a great article about him on Grantland (of all places) just a couple months ago.
  • carrieanthony
    carrieanthony Posts: 70 Member
    Chris Powell. Hands down.
  • grggmrtn
    grggmrtn Posts: 171 Member
    Sarauk2sf
    Sidesteel
    ArroganceInStep
  • VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    Go Kaleo
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    No one.
    I know I should eat less calories than I burn, I know to keep fat & sodium low. I don't really need to know anything else.

The statement you made right before you said you don't need to know anything else, shows just how much you don't know. Insulin resistance as a result of a high carb, low fat diet is the single largest cause of non-communicable disease, like heart disease, type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, and obesity...

If you look at my diary I eat about the same as you in carbs, and yes less in fat, but I eat healthy fats like nuts. My cholesterol has actually lowered from 5.9 to 4.9.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    My all time favorite is Alan Aragon (www.alanaragon.com) followed very very closely by Eric Helms (www.3dmusclejourney.com/team-3dmj.php) and Lyle (www.bodyrecomposition.com).

And James Krieger (www.weightology.net) is another guru although he doesn't post as much about bodybuilding. Dude is brilliant though, and people should check his website out. Tons of knowledge dropped on his site.

Steve Troutman (body-improvements.com) has great things to say and fortunately he also posts here to help others. He's also been very helpful to me personally.

And I do have another list of people who I regularly follow as far as their information whether it's youtube or blog posts/etc. Very curious what Schoenfeld comes up with during his new research....
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    I'm glad you put "gurus" in quoations. I believe in getting information from a wide range of sources and coming up with your own system that fits your unique needs.

However, I recently joined the Eat, Train, Progress group and have learned so much reading through the threads there, especially Alan Aragon, Lyle McDonald ane Eric Helms, as well as others. I like that they have more of a common sense approach while backing everything up with science, credentials and years of experience. So, thanks to Sidesteel and Sarauk for providing all that awesome information!
  • helenrosemay
    No one.
    I know I should eat less calories than I burn, I know to keep fat & sodium low. I don't really need to know anything else.

The statement you made right before you said you don't need to know anything else, shows just how much you don't know. Insulin resistance as a result of a high carb, low fat diet is the single largest cause of non-communicable disease, like heart disease, type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, and obesity...

Agreed. You should be getting healthy fats! :) (lean read meats, avocados, almonds, etc) :)

Again if you too look at my diary I have about the same as you in carbs and fat.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Bob Sebohar (sp?)
    Matt Fitzgerald
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Alan Aragon, Steve Troutman, Eric Cressey, Mark Rippetoe, SideSteel and Sarauk2sf
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    martin berkhan (leangains)
    andrew morgan (rippedbody.jp)
  • helenrosemay
    No one.
    Oh, I hope you do some research -- fat is healthy and essential. Even Harvard doesn't recommend a low fat diet any more and the CDC just released a report suggesting there is no benefit in reducing salt and it may actually be harmful!

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats-full-story/

http://www8.nationalacademies.org/onpinews/newsitem.aspx?RecordID=18311

When I say lower fat & salt I just mean lower than what I was eating. Plus I'm going by advice given by my doctor.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Since it hasn't been said yet... Tony Horton. :bigsmile:
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,000 Member
    Mirelle Guliano is my true inspiration for a bunch of reasons...not the least of which she knew/knows how to live life to the fullest, sip champagne frequently, and keep her figure.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    No one.
    Oh, I hope you do some research -- fat is healthy and essential. Even Harvard doesn't recommend a low fat diet any more and the CDC just released a report suggesting there is no benefit in reducing salt and it may actually be harmful!

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats-full-story/

http://www8.nationalacademies.org/onpinews/newsitem.aspx?RecordID=18311

When I say lower fat & salt I just mean lower than what I was eating. Plus I'm going by advice given by my doctor.

You should always be getting at least the minimum of 0.4g of fat per lb of bodyweight. So check that you do.