Supplement Question

Options
What's a good pre-wokout supplement? The only thing I'm taking right now is BSN Amino X.

I'm 150lb 5'6' and just want to tone and get the best (healthy) results.

I just started to do weights...I was one of those cardio freaks and never wanted to use weights.

I usually workout after work 5pm-ish

Replies

• koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Have a strong black coffee.

OR
    MP Assault : I quite like this one. I have it on leg days. Other days I'll have a coffee instead.

Koing

PS make sure you get enough protein in! Get at least 120-150g per day!
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Caffeine.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    None are necessary and I doubt your results will be much different if you take them or not but sometimes we need a little boost when we just are not feeling it.

Pre workout:
    Caffeine and citrulline malate

Every day:
    Creatine and beta alanine

But I really like the ones I get for free. Go to your local supplement store and ask about preworkouts. When they give you their sales pitch ask them for a sample of a couple different kinds. Then go to the next store. : )
  • Chasem1984
    Chasem1984 Posts: 10
    Options
    I agree with everyone else so far. Mainly just some sort of caffine, but I like to take eith C4 or Pump. It helps me get throught the full hour without feeling sluggish.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Bcaa are good. But if you want craziness and maximum focus DS Craze the purple flavour man youll never take another pre workout again haha.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    No supplements.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    i've been enjoying n.o. xplode.
    jack3d got me too 'wool sweatery'.
    i have hyperfx too, but that lacks the creatine.

youll get tons of answers here...best bet is to try some out and see what ya like.
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    No supplements.
    Then why did you comment?

As someone else posted, Cellucor HD is good stuff. The first couple times, it's super strong but you build a tolerance.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Depends on workout. For weights I use C4, for cardio either HyperFX or Scivation XTEND.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I take Creatine & Beta Alanine. Also, I always eat something with a good amount of protein & carb 1.5-2 hours before I lift.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    No supplements.
    Then why did you comment?

As someone else posted, Cellucor HD is good stuff. The first couple times, it's super strong but you build a tolerance.

Because I do fine without supplements. I like people that think
    for themselves rather than listen to those that tell them what to think. Or do.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    You really don't want any pre-workout supplements. In the grand-scheme of things their benefit, aside from maybe Creatine, is extremely minor and not worth the money. If you're exercising after 5pm, you probably don't want a stimulant do you? BCAA's are fine if you feel they help. Creatine is probably the most legit supplement there is, aside from Whey, and you don't need ConCret or Assault or anything fancy, basic Creatine Monohydrate is perfect as-is.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Since you "just want to tone" in a healthy way, there's no need to use any supplements except maybe caffeine - and even that should be used cautiously or it can affect your sleep. 98% of your results will come from following a good exercise program, proper meals, and proper recovery, so i'd focus on those. Which lifting program are you following?
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Let me save you a crap ton of money here.
    -Caffeine (for your size prob around 150 mg)
    -Vitamin B complex
    -creatine

Buy then all separately.

Take all about 45 mins before your workout and watch your intensity and energy shoot through the roof.

The above is about every active (proven) ingredient in most expensive pre-workout supplement out there....at a fourth of the price.

Don't forget that post workout protein!
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    coffee or no doz
  • KellyAMueller
    KellyAMueller Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the comments! :)
  • Jhostile
    Options
    i've been enjoying n.o. xplode.
    jack3d got me too 'wool sweatery'.
    i have hyperfx too, but that lacks the creatine.

youll get tons of answers here...best bet is to try some out and see what ya like.

I use N.O.-XPLODE also, it was successful in helping my last few yo-yo diets(I eat to 210 then diet to 180 yearly), and working again this time. There are a few minor downsides when you first start taking it...

The first 1-2 weeks you will:
    Get the ****s
    Not lose weight even though you are burning fat because your muscles are retaining more water
    Have trouble sleeping if you work out at night

Once you get past that first couple weeks though its GREAT!!! No matter how bad I don't want to go to the gym, by the time I get there and it kicks in I NEED to work out, like if I took it and didn't work out I would be craving weights. When I'm done lifting I WANT to do Cardio...every day!

...As far as money goes its a $30-35 tub that lasts through my entire cut, so ~$1 a pound