Did You Bring Someone Along For The Ride?

Options
At some point in time, each of us made the decision to lose some weight. That was just the beginning of our journey to get to a healthier weight...a better looking body...fit into a particular outfit...or some other reason that was very important to us at the time.

If we are fortunate, we have someone in our life who is supportive of our goals and may have even helped us along the way. That person could have be a family member, a friend, even a coach who says the right things...just when we need some encouragement.

If you are really blessed, that person might even be 'going along for the ride'. That means, you have a partner in the journey who is not only willing to watch you change your eating habits...but eat that 'new food' with you and pass up the 'junk food'. That partner might even start counting calories, reading the labels on those packages in the grocery store or...Oh, my goodness!...even try to lose some weight to get healthier too.

I was so...so blessed to have the perfect companion for this incredible journey into a 'new way of life', my sweet hubbie Pastor Special Ed.

The timing was right for both of us. I had to lose weight to get new knees; and Ed's doctors at the VA were worried about his weight and his health. Ed was 245 pounds, had blood sugar levels that put him at borderline level diabetes, and his blood pressure was out of control. He even hit 197/134 one frightening night in September and ended up in the ER.

You can see in the 'mug shots' below that Ed was showing his extra weight in his impressive double chin last October. The new, thinner face looks so much better on my handsome, blue eyed sweetheart. :smooched:

Comparison10-12to05-13_zpsc205308f.jpg?t=1375144808

The photos below give evidence that some of the change was in his tummy.

Comparison08-12to07-13_zpsb4663acc.jpg?t=1375058444

This last photo was taken on Sunday, and you can definitely see the 'slimmer, trimmer, new model' of the man I love. He still wants to lose a bit more weight, and that's okay with me. I am so proud of him; and I know that the healthier he gets, the better my chances are of having him around for a lot more years.

07-28-13SkinnyEd03_zps29904bae.jpg?t=1375114094

So...do you have a partner in your weight loss journey? Do you have someone who encourages you, because they love you and want you to be healthier and live a longer and better life? Who is that 'special person' in your life?

Replies

• JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Great job! He's doing great!

My wife decided a couple weeks after I started my diet that there was NO WAY that I would ever weigh less than she did. So, she jumped on the wagon and she has kept up with me quite well. Apparently, sufficient motivation cancels out the whole "Men lose faster than women" thing. :smile:

Together, we're over 150 lbs down since January.
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Great job! He's doing great!

My wife decided a couple weeks after I started my diet that there was NO WAY that I would ever weigh less than she did. So, she jumped on the wagon and she has kept up with me quite well. Apparently, sufficient motivation cancels out the whole "Men lose faster than women" thing. :smile:

Together, we're over 150 lbs down since January.

Congrats to both of you. :flowerforyou:

Ed has been staying ahead of me from the beginning, because I had so much more to lose. At one point, he said that he was going to stop losing weight...to let me catch up or pass him. I insisted that he stop thinking like that.

I do hope to weigh less than him someday, but only when he has reached his goal. Then, he can stop; and I will pass him. My goal is 145 or less. That would be too low for 5' 10" old man to go, but it is just right for this 5' 4" old lady. :wink:
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    At one point, he said that he was going to stop losing weight...to let me catch up or pass him. I insisted that he stop thinking like that.

He's very gallant.

If I could figure out a way to pass my wife - I totally would. :bigsmile:
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Good for you both! Congratulations on all of your success so far!

My husband has been supportive from the start, but lately doesn't want to get as much snacky stuff at the store, wants to eat more vegetables, and doesn't ask for fast food as often. He'll look at the labels and comment on calories and protein, and doesn't grumble as much when I suggest we go for a walk. Lately he's discovered that he's lost 9 pounds over the last couple months (all while still enjoying lots of ice cream and candy... that stinker :heart: )

Great job everyone!:flowerforyou:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I got my boyfriend to join the site last night. He is bulking however not losing.. So he gets 3000 some odd calories a day. Lucky him.:grumble:
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    What a lucky couple you both are! He sure looks like he feels better. I love how his eyes show so much more in the photos of the new and improved Ed. Keep up the hard work, you two. It's paying off in so many ways!!
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    An MFP friend made the comment that Ed's tie "is getting longer", because it no longer has to go "over the high country". :laugh:

It is really just a matter of his belt moving up to his waist, rather than falling below his belly.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    It's awesome that you guys have each other. My daughter and I have been doing this together since February. I was motivated by turning 40, and she wanted to look good for prom and university.
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    My husband & I started the journey together. Initially he lost quite a bit, but he stopped for a while and regained the bulk of it back. He's back to losing again now and has gotten his motivation back. I'm very proud of him.

I also attempted to bring my best friend on the MFP journey, but she did not have the motivation at this time to stick with it. Today, she deactivated her account. I'm hoping someday she will decide it's time, for herself and for her young child.
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    My husband & I started the journey together. Initially he lost quite a bit, but he stopped for a while and regained the bulk of it back. He's back to losing again now and has gotten his motivation back. I'm very proud of him.

I also attempted to bring my best friend on the MFP journey, but she did not have the motivation at this time to stick with it. Today, she deactivated her account. I'm hoping someday she will decide it's time, for herself and for her young child.

No matter how much we love someone, there is no way to give them the willingness to change. Weight loss has got to be something that they want. All you can do is pray that they find a reason that will truly give them a reason to commit to a healthier life.

By the way, your weight loss is INCREDIBLE. You are really an inspiration.
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    What a lovely couple. Inside and out.
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My wonderful wife and I did this together. I would not have had the success I have had were it not for her support.

On Feb 1, 2013 she was 147. This morning she was 121. I was at 208, now 170.

In every way it has been a joint effort and doing it with her has made it fun (well almost).
  • crissyniko
    crissyniko Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My 12 year old son...he is such an angel...will read the nutritional information on food and let me know how many calories are in it. I picked him up from the airport and he gave me a package of peanuts, and he said, "Mom, these are only 70 calories, I saved them for you." I teared up, because he cared so much...
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    My 12 year old son...he is such an angel...will read the nutritional information on food and let me know how many calories are in it. I picked him up from the airport and he gave me a package of peanuts, and he said, "Mom, these are only 70 calories, I saved them for you." I teared up, because he cared so much...

Now, that is what I called a very supportive, young man. Any mom would be proud of a sweet son like that. :flowerforyou:
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    great pics !!!!!!!!!!!!
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    IM DOING IT ALONE BUT HUBBY AND KIDS AND FAMILY ARE SUPPORTIVE AND I HAVE 2 ONLINE WEIGHT LOSS SUPPORT GROUPS
  • HeadsPoppingOutOfCups
    Options
    My husband has been dragged along. He actually weighs something like 135 or so so he is actually trying to build muscle. I have to remind him as a result that yes, chicken is healthy, but I don't need half my calories wasted on the cup of olive oil he's trying to marinate them in, some of us are counting calories.
  • iDuchaine
    iDuchaine Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is trying to be supportive, and has been making some progress over the past month. I lost most of my weight before we started dating over a year ago (!!), but in the past 2 months lost about another 10. I think he's starting to feel self conscious. I'm in a 'normal' bmi category (although teetering on overweight), and he's not. I love him to pieces and back, but he's been reluctant to work out around me since I'm more fit than he is, although we did do core exercises today! He has joined me in modifying our eating habits, so that's good.