The 17 day diet

Options
Hi everyone,

I was hoping some of you have before and after pictures when doing the 17 day diet. I am starting this and think it would be great motivation. Can't wait to see your results.

*I know there will be hater coming into this post because of the diet....if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all*

Replies

• jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I am starting on Monday. I would love to see results as well.
  • MichiDark
    Options
    I'm sorry, I'm curious. What is the 17 day diet?
  • horses1jessi
    horses1jessi Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I'm curious. What is the 17 day diet?

Me too!!
  • lindacarroll77
    Options
    I don't have pictures but I have had GREAT results with this plan. I started on 6/7/13 and am now down 25 pounds! A lot of inches are gone as well. I find this plan very easy to follow and maintain. Unlike some low carb diets, I love how you can have 2 fruit servings a day (before 2 pm). I am currently on cycle 2 and the pounds are still coming right off! Best of luck to you, I am sure you will do great!
    ~Linda
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Curious too! I'm going to google it, but would like to know about people's experience with it..
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    It sounds okay, and actually kind of similar to what I have been doing...
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    bump cuz i have no idea what this is. going to google now
  • JenX15
    JenX15 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't have pictures but I have had GREAT results with this plan. I started on 6/7/13 and am now down 25 pounds! A lot of inches are gone as well. I find this plan very easy to follow and maintain. Unlike some low carb diets, I love how you can have 2 fruit servings a day (before 2 pm). I am currently on cycle 2 and the pounds are still coming right off! Best of luck to you, I am sure you will do great!
    ~Linda

Just curious - what is an avergage caloric intake for the day on this plan? Based on suggested recipes, etc. things you are "allowed" to eat?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    ~Linda

Why would there be a deadline on when you have to eat your fruit? lol
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    ~Linda

Why would there be a deadline on when you have to eat your fruit? lol
    Magical ferries feed off h20 after 2. When you hardly eat, they drink, so you lose weight. At least thats my theory.
  • lindacarroll77
    Options
    The no fruit after 2 PM is something the book states not to do because it is harder to burn off these calories and they might get stored as fat. I have never heard of doing that before, but it apparently works. At least with me.
  • lindacarroll77
    Options
    The average cals I believe is around 1200. But you don't necessary count calories, more what you can and can not eat. As for what you are allow that is based on what cycle you are in. Cycle 1 is the strictest (that is the one you lose the most weight from) Although it is strict I had no problem sticking to it. You basically can have almost all vegi's, chicken, fish, turkey, eggs. No cheeses, starchy carbs, and no alcohol. Oh and he states that you should have green tea with every meal.
  • lindacarroll77
    Options
    Jenbk2

Good luck! It is a very doable plan! Do you have the book?
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Well, considering I love my booze, this diet is not for me.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    The no fruit after 2 PM is something the book states not to do because it is harder to burn off these calories and they might get stored as fat. I have never heard of doing that before, but it apparently works. At least with me.
    ^This is full of fail. Thats not why it's working, it's working because the cals are low. It's proven that meal time does not matter. I've eaten late at night and it doesn't effect me at all, as long as I'm under my cals. People create diets like this based on the fact they know a lot of people who eat a lot eat at night. Cut that out and you cut out cals. But it's just as efficient to cut out another arbitrary meal that's not at night. So you don't have to go to bed hungry.

The carbs get stored as fat is also BS. If you're not eating enough, you're not going to create mass with no fuel. That's not the way it works. These diets just fuel off of underfueling people who don't know any better.
  • lindacarroll77
    Options
    CoderGal,

I am not stated that because it says to eat fruit before 2 pm is why it is working. I am just glad I can have fruit unlike Adkins or the Southbeach diet. As for the cals there are many days I go over the 1200, as I said it does not give a cal restriction. All I know is I am eating a well balance of many types of food, and at least for me (and many others) this plan really works.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

But what if you exercise in the evening? Wouldn't you burn off the fat then?

What if I eat vegetables after 2PM? Will those get stored as fat?

What if I work night shift? Do I have to wake up all day and eat or can I just make my cut off 2AM instead????
  • lindacarroll77
    Options
    I am just giving information from the book... not trying to represent myself as a doctor so I cant answer your questions.

Plan and simple, it is a plan that is working for me, and I have tried many others.

I am sure it great for some people and not for others, as any diet.
  • dunq13
    dunq13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Did this for about a week and a half. My calorie and water intake was totally normal--I usually eat between 1300-1600 (with exercise calories) and a gallon+ of water daily. Ate lots of lean proteins, veggies, a couple pieces of fruit, threw in a couple of healthy fats-- honestly, not too much different from my normal day. I really only had to cut out some of my snacks and sweet potatoes, my staple carb, which I love. That made me sad...but I figured for the first 17 days, no big deal. Oh. I even started drinking my single cup of AM coffee black (I usually use Splenda. Dont judge). Wasn't a fan of that, but again...17 days... This plan was appealing because it seemed SO doable--and the removal of *most* sugar/carbs is only for the first "phase". Why did I only last a week and half then? About 4 days into it, I started becoming horribly sluggish. 6 days in, I couldn't even think straight. I've heard of brain fog, and maybe that was it. Maybe it was the fact that I continued at my normal workout pace (I'm sorry, but a 20 min walk will never qualify as a "workout" for me--and I NEED my daily workout). After 6 days of feeling 'off', I couldn't take not knowing which shoe went on which foot anymore, so I broke down and ate a dang sweet potato. Made a world of difference.

That being said, I actually like this plan...and I don't love diets. It's sensible eating. I was not calorie deprived. Plus, people seem to have really great results for weight loss, and although I only did it for a short time, it made my pants noticebly more comfortable. I may try it again in the future...but I've realized my body needs more than a couple of pieces of fruit if I'm going to workout like I normally do, so keep that in mind.

As for the whole fruit after 2 pm thing (note, that is FRUIT after 2 pm. No one said "don't eat after 2 pm." That's just ridiculous)-- it's a recommendation based on about the amount of time the average body takes to process the sugars, presuming you sleep/work a normal schedule. Your basically not working out (besides your walks) for the first phase either, so not much of a chance to burn it off. I don't see what the big deal is either way. Eat it at 2 pm, don't eat it after 2 pm... no one is proclaiming that to be the magical tip that makes this work.
  • malk2651
    malk2651 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/17-day-diet-review

Sounds like it just tries to get you eat clean. Probably helpful for people who don't want to come up with a food plan of there own.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!