Abandoned the scale and finally lost weight! (w pic)

Options
I hate the scale. Absolutely HATE it. Every time Ive ever tried to lose weight, I diet, I workout, I swear I see progress, and then I get on the scale and there it is, a number stares back at me that is ALWAYS such a disappointment. I have never stuck to MFP longer than 3-4 weeks since I found this site in 2011. This has happened about 4-5 times now.

In March of this year, I booked my annual trip to Coachella (it's in the middle of April) and immediately hopped onto MFP and into the gym to trying to lose as much of my "winter" weight as possible in 6 weeks. I had a pair of shorts I absolutely needed to fit into. I avoided the scale. And sure enough, by the time I left for LA, they fit. I had no idea how much weight I lost, and I didnt want to. For the first time in 25 years, I decided to abandon the scale. Now, 4 months later, I am still eating healthy, tracking, and working out 5 days a week (really 6 is you count my weekend bike rides). And I have still not gotten on a scale.

This time around, I have been on MFP for 5 months. I do not feel like I am dieting, I do not feel like I'm trying to reach a perfect number. For the first time in my life, I am committed to my health and my fitness, not to seeing an arbitrary number. And goddamn, it feels good.

Oh, and everyone's favorite part about success stories: the pics! (i cant believe im posting myself on the internet in my undies!!)

9442286_4296.jpg

Replies

• tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    nice job! and i love your decision to abandon your scale! scales are full of crap as far as i'm concerned! keep it up, you're looking great! hip and tummy area are greatly improved!
  • LETTYRP05
    Options
    You look great! Keep up the good work!
  • louise62602
    Options
    Congrats :D I'm trying really hard to not get on mine for a month while I'm doing the 30 day shred.
  • Jerijoh
    Jerijoh Posts: 107
    Options
    I LOVE this!! I always feel the same way about the scale after a few weeks.. SO discouraging! Keep up the good work, you're looking great!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I see the difference...good work.

I am somewhat adopting your path..but just weighing after I go down a size so i keep on the weight loss path without feeling the failure i do when the scale doesn't reflect a loss. today i donate my larger sized shorts and it feels better than when the scale reflects a loss. so.. I'm capitalizing on that.
  • kellywa1179
    kellywa1179 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am going to put my scale away for a month. We all get focused on that number and we gauge our success by it, but there are so many more positive things happening in our bodies that are not reflected by the scale. THANK YOU!
  • T0BYW0N
    T0BYW0N Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yep, this is further proof, that the mirror (or camera) is the better tool for tracking transformation. I, too, HATE that fraking scale!
  • kateauch
    kateauch Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I COMPLETELY understand this!!

ETA- Congrats on your accomplishments! You look lovely!
  • jade2112
    jade2112 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Where the heck did your hips go? No, really, your hips are now nice and curvy. When you reach goal, probably before, you're going to have one hot figure.
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm so excited to see where this journey takes me!

I have always had hips (and only moreso since I had my son), but I think the hips you're referring to in my "before" were just love handles---which I did NOT love!
  • 123dmc
    123dmc Posts: 13
    Options
    RIGHT ON!!! :happy:

I, too, ditched my scale last month.

I was sick of it dictating my mood! If it went down...I was happy. If my weight went up...I was devastated. Emotional rollercoaster bullsh*t.

At first, it was so difficult getting rid of the scale! I mean, I had always used it as a gauge of my success. Isn't that the way it works? NO MORE. My clothes are getting looser and that is REAL.

I've asked a few friends if they weigh themselves, and they said they do not. Ever.They go by what their clothes feel like. Too tight in the waistband? Drop the calorie intake and bump up the activity. It works. It's science.

I could not be happier about my decision to kick my scale to the curb. I feel FREE for the first time in a very long time. I do what I need to do: exercise and watching what I eat. The weight loss is happening.

The smile on my face is proof.

:flowerforyou:
  • Naaer
    Naaer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    This is terrific...
    I have, yet, to abandon the scale, as this has always been my pointing to "success" in weight loss: but I think that this is not such a bad idea...Someone said that you can tell more by the mirror and your clothes, and that is right on!!! I, also, wear a belt to work every day...I am on the last notch...A year ago when I lost twenty pounds, I went down a notch, and this, actually, made me feel better than the number on the scale...
    By the way, your progress is noticeable, and I agree, you're probably going have a killer figure...

Reaan:flowerforyou:
  • MaryMacAttack
    MaryMacAttack Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Keep up the great work- you're looking wonderful! I weigh myself very sporadically and find better fitting clothes much more of a motivator than the number on the scale :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!