Winter is coming...

Options

Replies

• LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Depends. General colder weather, I'll go with a long-sleeve shirt and yoga pants. Anything heavier, I'll add a hoodie and call it a day. If it's REALLY cold, I'll probably add some gloves, but what I usually end up doing is balling the ends of my sleeves in my fists instead, because my gloves tend to run off with my three year-old... I do the same thing to protect my face with it's cold, and I'll just pull up my hoodie around my mouth.

I'm seriously lazy with my workout gear, especially in the wintertime..
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I've been out in as cold as 21 degrees. I'm fine in sports bra, Nike hyperwarm long sleeve shirt, jacket on top of that, running tights, sometimes I'll wear shorts to have a second layer on my butt (it gets cold, I don't know why), gloves, and something to cover my ears and head. I don't even notice after 2 miles. Just keep moving. I also like smartwool socks.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Layers of wicking materials, and something to break the wind. I run outside down to -20C (approx -4F).

My local running store sells great light-weight items that kept me warm all winter. But there's nothing you can do to keep your eyelids warm, so I give up at -20.

Sunglasses help a lot, but ski goggles really work. It all depends on how OK with looking like a goofball you are.
  • Juanwi
    Juanwi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thought this was GoT related. *sad face*

winter-is-coming-meme-generator-winter-is-coming-burn-your-family-to-stay-warm-834af3.jpg

Haha! I love GoT, and I feel like John Snow right now! I totally know nothing!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    do you ski or snowboard? if so, you might already have some of the neccessary clothing already.

i bought some nike prosport long underwear that is warmer than any underarmor gear i've ever owned. good stuff. that'll be my base layer. or you can finde something that is a little more sweat wicking, like the typical underarmor stuff.

on my legs, i'll then put on a pair of sweats. thats it. i bundle up more on the top, throwing on a long sleeved shirt, a hoodie and/or a fleece, and then a wind breaker over that.

i'll wear a hat with a brim to keep falling snow out of my face, and earmuffs. or a regular wool hat. a scarf can also come in handy as you can wrap it around your neck, and pull it up over your mouth.

two pairs of socks. one that is sweat wicking, and one for warmth. and trail running shoes for grip on snow and ice.
  • xoemmytee
    xoemmytee Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I share your disappoint.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Total awesomeness! Really I can't wait as an 'ice queen' for the winter to start!!! :bigsmile: I guess next month we will get the first snow fall already :smile:
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I share your disappoint.

Thread does not deliver

tumblr_mo624jmyOk1qabfx1o1_500.gif
  • centarix
    centarix Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I just started seriously running and I too am thinking about the winter. Normally I go to the gym more but I also get tired of being stationary. Thus i skip days, thus I eat more :) Would like to hear what others are doing to run in cold weather
  • Juanwi
    Juanwi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Ah! But GoT is coming too... lol.

Do you think this is too much....

http://www.exmask.com/Talus-ColdAvenger/images/prod-large/2009_expedition_big.jpg :laugh:

I don't ski or do any type of winter sports. Running is relatively new to me. You all have given me some great shopping tips!

Thanks! :happy:
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a GoT thread to but I'm bumping because I was wondering the same thing.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    not a GoT thread? I am disappoint.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Usually if it's 40 and not windy, I do shorts and a long-sleeved T-shirt with gloves (I have light Nike running gloves) and a fleece headband for my ears (mine is Columbia). If it's much colder or if it's windy, I have running tights (I LOVE my Under Armours, but I also have a Reebok pair) and a thermal fleece pullover.
  • casmithis
    casmithis Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have in the past worn 3 layers of running pants but I tend to get chilly willy and I live in Canada!! Toque for sure and thin running gloves. I sometimes wear a bandana to cover my mouth if it's really cold. But REFUSE to run indoors (well unless it's below minus 12 Celsius!!)
  • LRunda
    LRunda Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    In the past I have always tapered off with exercise due to the winter. I do not want to fall into that habit again. So I have made it a goal to keep exercising throughout the winter and that includes outdoor activities.
  • thisoldroutine
    Options
    haha, also thought the thread was about game of thrones!! :(
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Aw man, I thought this was going to be a GoT thread :(
  • Nico_the_enabler
    Nico_the_enabler Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I share your disappoint.

Thread does not deliver

tumblr_mo624jmyOk1qabfx1o1_500.gif

Alas... not a GoT thread.. but I see some of the fans arrived to try and make it so anyway :P Well done. morning amusement acheived. :D
  • mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Cleats.

Seriously, a friend thats been an avid runner for years slipped on a small patch of ice while running earlier this year and broke his ankle. He was in a cast and then a walking boot for months.