workout routine

Options
I need a workout routine.
I am starting a new routine tomorrow (August 1st) and plan to work out twice a day, everyday.

i dont want to over do it. I dont want to under do it.
I need good workout routines.

Should I mix it up everyday?

I was thinking about doing 45-60 minutes of cardio (twice a day) and than 15-20 minutes of weights on the machines. Not free weights.

But Im so new to this that Im just not sure what to do!
I want the most out of my workout!

Replies

• _KrisMarie_
    Options
    Love the enthusiasm, but are you just starting to exercise? If so, I'd say that's quite a bit to start with. Make a smaller goal and then increase it. Maybe 30-45 minutes of cardio, 3-5 days a week, plus 2 days of strength training, and throw in some flexibility exercises? Find what works best for you though.

Good luck!!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    45-60 minutes of cardio twice a day is definitely overdoing it :) Try doing one session at a higher intensity. You'll get much better results and a better return on your time this way. Not every day either, maybe try 3 days strength training and 3 days cardio. If you want you can do a short (10-20 min) cardio session after your strength training. You should always have one rest day to give your body a chance to recover.

Why no free weights? I know you're just starting out but these are really the best and most effective way to strength train. Consider getting someone who knows what they are doing to show you the basics.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Twice a day is a lot! Especially if you're doing it for up to an hour. I would worry about burning out if you do something that intense. Have you thought about something like 30 Day Shred? That's a great one for beginners because it gives awesome results, is easy to follow, pretty low impact, but still gives you a killer workout in 30 minutes. It's one of the best "starter" programs I've seen. I've done it before and I loved it. Look up the before and afters! It really does give great results. And it's only a month program. So it's not a huge commitment and you can change it up since it's over so fast. Definitely consider it.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I need a workout routine.
    I am starting a new routine tomorrow (August 1st) and plan to work out twice a day, everyday.

i dont want to over do it. I dont want to under do it.
    I need good workout routines.

Should I mix it up everyday?

I was thinking about doing 45-60 minutes of cardio (twice a day) and than 15-20 minutes of weights on the machines. Not free weights.

But Im so new to this that Im just not sure what to do!
    I want the most out of my workout!

60 minutes of cardio 2x a day is definitely overkill! I have a hardcore trainer, and even HE wouldn't advocate that. I've been at this 18 months and I do 60 minutes of cardio 3x a week, 1 strength day with my trainer that has some cardio to it, and one strength day on my own that isn't as intense.

My strength is a mix of machines and free weights. My current routine is:

a mile on the track
    push ups to failure
    1 minute crunches

front lunges 3 sets
    side lunges 3 sets
    calf raises 3 sets

1 lap track, push ups to failure
    1 lap track, 1 min sit ups
    1 lap track, front lunges
    1 lap track, side lunges
    1 lap track, calf raises (2 sets of each)

crunch machine
    torso rotation machine

1 mile track

bicep curls
    front raises
    lateral raises
    triceps extensions

15 minutes of treadmill ( 5 minutes each of 12%, 10% and 8% incline)

crunches
    flutter kicks
    heel touches
    back extensions

5 laps on the track

I didn't even do all of it on Tuesday, and I am SOO sore still.

If you can afford a trainer for a few sessions, it is worth the expense. My trainer writes out a workout for me every few weeks and I keep it in a file. Eventually when I stop working with him, I will have these routines to do on my own. Most of them can easily be adapted as I progress ( increasing weights, etc)
  • edwardgaweda
    Options
    What's the reasoning behind not doing free weights? Spending 45min 3x per week doing free weight compound exercises will net you far better results than endless cardio.
  • LeeLeeLooLoo51812
    LeeLeeLooLoo51812 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    So, Im not new to working out. I do cardio every single day. I can go pretty hard during cardio.
    I dont want to do free weights because to be honest, I dont know how! Im really afraid of hurting myself.

I am trying to burn 3,500 calories a day (Im wearing a bodybugg) and only eat my regular 1,500 which is my reasoning on going to the gym twice a day. To burn more.

Im used to going a few times a week and only burning 500-600 calories in an hour.

But maybe if I just intensify my cardio + add some weights.

How long should each strength training session be?!?