Anyone else have problems taking vitamins?

Options
2»

Replies

• SymphonyTea
    Options
    They've never made me sick, unless taken on an empty stomach, but I've always had a probably getting pills down, always felt like they were stuck in my throat, no matter what type of pill it was. So for the much needed multi-vitamins I take the liquid version: Natural Vitality Organic Life Vitamins. I order bottles through Amazon, pour 4-5 cap fulls in a glass of water & have had no probs, hope that helps.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I also get sick to my stomach with the traditional vitamins. And like others I switched to the Flinstones chewables or gummy vitamins (they're not just for kids!). I'm also way more likely to remember to take my vitamins this way for some reason.
  • AngelaV75
    AngelaV75 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Vitamins make me sick as well. I couldn't even take prenatal vitamins. My Dr. also told me to take 2 flinstones, and they don't make me sick at all.
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    For those who say that you don't need vitamins if you eat clean, that is debatable. Vitamin D deficiency (which you also get from lack of exposure sun light - think SAD (Seasonal affective disorder)) is a serious deficiency in adults and children in the US and it is difficult to get the Vitamin D you need by simply eating clean.

Same thing with B12, if you're watching the amount of fish you eat because of mercury, then its harder to get B12. Both D and B12 deficiency have a major impact on your immune system and are common in chronic illnesses.

Best thing to do is get tested if you're concerned about deficiencies and simply believing me or anyone else on the internet unless you are a good critical thinker researcher is not a good idea.

I take B12 daily (methylcobalamin) not the cyancobalamin crap, D3 weekly. Both of these are because of a chronic deficiency in both that messed up my life from a health perspective for about 9-12 months. I take cod liver oil gel tablets daily and everything else I get from good clean eating habits.

I have a friend with chronic Lyme disease so I had to do a LOT of research to help her out and I am really glad I have learned as much as I have about being healthy. I used to phoo-phoo all this stuff until it happened to me. Your immune system is your best healer, better than any doc but it has to be healthy to work at 100%.
  • SymphonyTea
    Options
    For those who say that you don't need vitamins if you eat clean, that is debatable. Vitamin D deficiency (which you also get from lack of exposure sun light - think SAD (Seasonal affective disorder)) is a serious deficiency in adults and children in the US and it is difficult to get the Vitamin D you need by simply eating clean.

Same thing with B12, if you're watching the amount of fish you eat because of mercury, then its harder to get B12. Both D and B12 deficiency have a major impact on your immune system and are common in chronic illnesses.

Best thing to do is get tested if you're concerned about deficiencies and simply believing me or anyone else on the internet unless you are a good critical thinker researcher is not a good idea.

I take B12 daily (methylcobalamin) not the cyancobalamin crap, D3 weekly. Both of these are because of a chronic deficiency in both that messed up my life from a health perspective for about 9-12 months. I take cod liver oil gel tablets daily and everything else I get from good clean eating habits.

I have a friend with chronic Lyme disease so I had to do a LOT of research to help her out and I am really glad I have learned as much as I have about being healthy. I used to phoo-phoo all this stuff until it happened to me. Your immune system is your best healer, better than any doc but it has to be healthy to work at 100%.

What he said. :)

Well said @kevinlynch3; w/ the issue of GMO's and the idiotic FDA allowances, true, clean eating is becoming more and more difficult, so I too believe supplements offer a BIG helping hand and could be considered a requirement.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Both these deficiencies are associated with strict vegan diets. D deficiency can also be associated with obesity and alcoholism. Eating right and spending @ a hour out doors is enough for most people.

Mercury is really a problem with a high diet of predatory fish. Shrimp, salmon, catfish, tilapia and some types of tuna do not have very high levels of mercury. Mercury becomes a problem if you are eating a lot of top of the food chain fish, sushi daily, lots of shark or albacore tuna you shouldn't have a problem. A lot of the high mercury fish are also hard on the pocketbook Albacore tuna, shark, swordfish, etc. Most farm raised fish are not high in mercury.
  • SirAwesomenessThe3rd
    Options
    Both these deficiencies are associated with strict vegan diets. D deficiency can also be associated with obesity and alcoholism. Eating right and spending @ a hour out doors is enough for most people.

Mercury is really a problem with a high diet of predatory fish. Shrimp, salmon, catfish, tilapia and some types of tuna do not have very high levels of mercury. Mercury becomes a problem if you are eating a lot of top of the food chain fish, sushi daily, lots of shark or albacore tuna you shouldn't have a problem. A lot of the high mercury fish are also hard on the pocketbook Albacore tuna, shark, swordfish, etc. Most farm raised fish are not high in mercury.

Not to pi** in your Wheaties or anything but I noticed you said that Mercury is a problem in predatory fish and then mention to eat shark... I get what you're saying about the Mercury but whether a fish is predatory or not makes no difference in it's Mercury levels. Sharks are fish and are extreme predators of the sea. Within your own response you make yours seem inaccurate at the same time you're trying to use it. Just wanted to point that out in case anyone took that to heart. Do the research on the nutritional values of the fish you're going to consume if you want to know whether or not it's safe for your diet.
  • julien999
    julien999 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Iron is usually the main culprit with vitamin stomach aches, I can only take them if I eat with something easily digestible like yogurt. Most people don't actually need to take vitamins. If you track your food check and see what you are missing and maybe try only taking a supplement for those deficiencies otherwise you are pretty much just going to be peeing them out anyway.
  • SirAwesomenessThe3rd
    Options
    This took two seconds to Google search btw. It is a FDA testing chart and shows shark(one of the things you suggested that would have low Mercury levels) having one of the highest Mercury levels of all seafood. Sorry but I just wanted to point that out just in case someone was foolish enough to listen to your incorrect post that could result in them doing more harm than good to their bodies.

Link - http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/Metals/ucm115644.htm
  • julien999
    julien999 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Actually its higher in deep water fish because there is more mercury in the water at depth. Has nothing to do with predator fish.
    Also fish that live longer are worse for mercury simply because of their exposure.
  • SirAwesomenessThe3rd
    Options
    Actually its higher in deep water fish because there is more mercury in the water at depth. Has nothing to do with predator fish.
    Also fish that live longer are worse for mercury simply because of their exposure.

*claps*
  • doubglass
    Options
    I dropped an unless from that sentence. I meant not a problem unless you are eating a lot of predatory fish like shark.
    Some of the very highest mercury levels are in top of the food chain pelagics like shark, albacore tuna, swordfish etc.
    These are the worst for mercury content:
    HIGH MERCURY
    Bluefish
    Grouper*
    Mackerel (Spanish, Gulf) Sea Bass (Chilean)* Tuna (Canned Albacore) Tuna (Yellowfin)*
    HIGHEST MERCURY
    Mackerel (King) Marlin*
    Orange Roughy* Shark* Swordfish* Tilefish*
    Tuna (Bigeye, Ahi)*
    Most of them are not deep water fish.
  • doubglass
    Options
    I dropped an unless from that sentence. I meant not a problem unless you are eating a lot of predatory fish like shark.
    Some of the very highest mercury levels are in top of the food chain pelagics like shark, albacore tuna, swordfish etc.
    These are the worst for mercury content:
    HIGH MERCURY
    Bluefish
    Grouper*
    Mackerel (Spanish, Gulf) Sea Bass (Chilean)* Tuna (Canned Albacore) Tuna (Yellowfin)*
    HIGHEST MERCURY
    Mackerel (King) Marlin*
    Orange Roughy* Shark* Swordfish* Tilefish*
    Tuna (Bigeye, Ahi)*
    Most of them are not deep water fish.
  • KrisRei
    KrisRei Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi there,

I take a TON of vitamins and suppliments a day for different things and I find that taking a papaya just before or with helps me digest them bettter. Google 'papaya enzyme pill benefit' or something like that to see.

Hope to have helped
  • rgugs13
    rgugs13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options

When you eat farmed fish you lose a lot of the benefits you get from eating fish. Farmed fish are fed pellets made from grains (mostly corn), and fishmeal, and that causes them to store more Omega 6 fatty acids than wild caught fish. They are also fed antibiotics because there are huge issues with diseases and parasites from having such a huge biomass crammed into a usually much smaller space than they ever would be in the wild. In the case of salmon, they add dye to the food so it gets its famous pink color. In the wild salmon gets that color from krill. They also threaten the environment by introducing exotic species to new areas. A few of these fish will escape, and threaten the native species. I've seen farmed fish facilities, and I work as a fisheries observer in Alaska on the commercial fishing boats. You are better off with wild fish, just eat aim to eat smaller fish that are at the bottom or middle of the food chain.

With our current fishing levels, top level ocean predators will be a thing of the past soon. Overfishing is rampant, even in the US. Bluefin tuna world wide will most likely go extinct in my lifetime because they are being harvested before they are old enough to spawn.

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/SeafoodWatch/web/sfw_factsheet.aspx?gid=49

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sea-to-table/is-farmed-fish-really-the_b_3455436.html
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Be very careful with vitamins. If you eat clean, you don't need a multivitamin every day.
    I eat very clean. Started taking a multivitamin and was throwing up every morning. Turns out I was overdosing on a few vitamins/nutrients (Iron, Vitamin C, for two) and it was making me ill.
    This can be very dangerous, so make sure you are tracking those as well if you do take a supplement (multivitamin).

most (NOT ALL but most) of the vitamins in a standard multi-vitamin are water soluble. Which means you can't really overdose because any that's extra your body will just eliminate in your normal bodily waste. So don't let this chick freak you out too much, unless a vit. is fat soluble it's not necessarily 'very dangerous" if you get too much.