The 17 day diet

Options
2»

Replies

• JenX15
    JenX15 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/17-day-diet-review

Sounds like it just tries to get you eat clean. Probably helpful for people who don't want to come up with a food plan of there own.

Summarizes it all nicely! Thanks Malk2651 :)
  • sclaibo
    sclaibo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The no fruit after 2 PM is something the book states not to do because it is harder to burn off these calories and they might get stored as fat. I have never heard of doing that before, but it apparently works. At least with me.
    ^This is full of fail. Thats not why it's working, it's working because the cals are low. It's proven that meal time does not matter. I've eaten late at night and it doesn't effect me at all, as long as I'm under my cals. People create diets like this based on the fact they know a lot of people who eat a lot eat at night. Cut that out and you cut out cals. But it's just as efficient to cut out another arbitrary meal that's not at night. So you don't have to go to bed hungry.

The carbs get stored as fat is also BS. If you're not eating enough, you're not going to create mass with no fuel. That's not the way it works. These diets just fuel off of underfueling people who don't know any better.

I've never read the book, but I have heard good things about it. I recently hit a plateau and when I talked to my doctor about it, she recommended not eating fruits late in the day and to not have anything to eat after 8. After following her advice, I have lost another 5 lbs in the last 2 weeks and 2 inches off my waist. The no fruit after a certain time may not affect some people, but there has always been an obvious difference for me between eating late and waking up bloated vs. cutting off eating and waking up feeling and looking lighter.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Sigh.. :noway:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    The no fruit after 2 PM is something the book states not to do because it is harder to burn off these calories and they might get stored as fat. I have never heard of doing that before, but it apparently works. At least with me.
    ^This is full of fail. Thats not why it's working, it's working because the cals are low. It's proven that meal time does not matter. I've eaten late at night and it doesn't effect me at all, as long as I'm under my cals. People create diets like this based on the fact they know a lot of people who eat a lot eat at night. Cut that out and you cut out cals. But it's just as efficient to cut out another arbitrary meal that's not at night. So you don't have to go to bed hungry.

The carbs get stored as fat is also BS. If you're not eating enough, you're not going to create mass with no fuel. That's not the way it works. These diets just fuel off of underfueling people who don't know any better.

^^^This.

Just my opinion, anything that says diet is just a bad idea. I've dieted before to gain it all back after a few years. This time I'm actually making it a lifestyle change. Learning how to eat, what to eat, how to really workout and stick with it.

I know that it's called the 17 day diet and there's 3 cycles each 17 days long. What happens when it's done? I saw there's a maintenance plan, so are you just never supposed to eat fruit after 2? Which that is just plain silly to me. I have green smoothies with fruit at night (sometimes even after 8 pm) and am losing weight.

Quick fixes usually set people up for quick failure.

I'm happy for those of you it's worked for, that's great. Unfortunately, a lot of people may fail because they don't realize it has to be a lifestyle change, and they just go back to eating what they did before they lost the weight.
  • sethsmommy2008
    Options
    i just purchased the book. when it arrives in a week, i'm going to give this a shot.
    i also wanted to let everyone know that they have menu and planning boards per this diet on pinterest!
  • storm15918
    storm15918 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This issue with this, like most diet plans, is that once you go back to normal eating the weight comes right back. My mom swears by this diet, and has had good success with it. Until she went back to normal eating and gained almost all of the weight back. Now she's back to square one. She finds it unfair that I can eat whatever I want and still lose, but she has to be restricted, because she has yet to realize that it's all about calories in vs. calories out. If you want to try it, go ahead, but just realize that when you go back to normal eating, if you don't count your calories it's all going to come back.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options

Quick fixes usually set people up for quick failure.

QFT!
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    It sounds pretty legit. I read the review on Web MD. It is teaching people to eat clean. And it says that if you are working out more streneously then you need to eat more calories. I think if people use this and incorporate it into their everyday lives, even after the 17 days its a winner. (even though it says diet)... sometimes that's just what people need to get started. not anyone person is the same!
  • SaraA07
    SaraA07 Posts: 43
    Options
    I read the no fruit after after 2pm and kinda now thats bull**** so that i'm going to ignore....but overall i think it sounds pretty healthy because it doesn't exclude whole food groups.

what i like about it is that it has 4 17 day cycles and each cycle after the first starts to introduce foods that you weren't allowed at first and that the last stage is a maintenance stage and will help you learn exactly the portions of healthy foods you should eat.
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I don't have pictures but I have had GREAT results with this plan. I started on 6/7/13 and am now down 25 pounds! A lot of inches are gone as well. I find this plan very easy to follow and maintain. Unlike some low carb diets, I love how you can have 2 fruit servings a day (before 2 pm). I am currently on cycle 2 and the pounds are still coming right off! Best of luck to you, I am sure you will do great!
    ~Linda

Why would there be a deadline on when you have to eat your fruit? lol
    Didn't you see "Gremlins"? :happy:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Cycle 1 is the strictest (that is the one you lose the most weight from)

Of course you lose the most weight in the first cycle. That's where you lose the most water weight. Pretty much any diet works this way.
  • bec_232
    bec_232 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I loved the diet. I think it's a great kick start to anyone wanting to start eating healthy or if you hit a plateau. I lost 7 lbs in the 17 days but my best friend lost 12 lbs. Both of us have kept the weight off and lost more since.

Sorry I don't have any pics to post.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!