Any other larger gals out there doing the c25k?

Options
I'm in my 40's and a hair over 200. I'm not doing the official c25k, just following my own plan. Starting out with doing 3 days a week, trying to increase the amount of time spent on jogging compared to walking. Not doing too awful bad, i'm actually able to job for a quarter mile stretch now -- which was impossible about 4 weeks ago.

I've been trying to not do the treadmill since I always found it hard to try jogging outside before when I was used to the treadmill so I decided to just do the outdoors jogging this time and skip the treadmill.

My biggest surprise was the sore muscles in my upper thighs, lower back and lower stomach. finally to where they do not bother me much at all.

Any other pleasantly plump ladies out there doing the c2tk and how is it giong. You doing your own schedule or following the official program?

Replies

• britzzie
    britzzie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Not now, but I did do it!! I've moved on to other pursuits, but I did the C25k program and was running the 5k when I was about 214lbs.

You should be so proud. Keep on keepin on and you'll get there.

Also...if you have a bad couple of days, don't give up. I often found that when it got really tough to run the same distance that I had been doing for days, a breakthrough was right around the corner.

Go you!
  • jbeanv
    jbeanv Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Me! I'm a tad over 200 and I'm in the middle of week 7. My thighs were SO sore in the beginning but that has gone away. Be sure to stretch before and after, that helped me a lot. And I'm sure my body adjusting also helped :-) Hang in there it gets better and it's totally worth it!!
  • kristyb1982
    kristyb1982 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am doing the actual C25K program and was 245 lbs when I started. I'm only 5'3" so it's a lot to be carrying around. I am on week 6 day 1. My hips were very sore in the beginning, but I do walking lunges, some straight leg kicks, and some side lunges at the end of the jog and that has really helped with the soreness. You are doing great! It can be done! I am down 29 lbs and still dropping! Keep up the great work, ladies!
  • missmidge84
    missmidge84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Started C25k at 235 pounds or so. Finished the program and am running my third 5k this weekend :)
    You can do it!
  • scootinalong
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. You guys are doing great.

I've also been using the inversion table afterwards and it seems to help also.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Im 268 lbs. Ive just started a zombie version of the c25k and ive enjoyed it so far, except for my butt. It moves more than my boobs and i told hubby the other day i need a sports bra for my butt. If it stops the girls from giving me black eyes then one for my butt should stop the back cheeks from hitting the ground every step i run.
  • scootinalong
    Options
    That is just AWESOME!
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I just started it this week Tomorrow will be day 3. Really works my heart but haven't had the sore legs yet, but that may just be due to my sloth like pace :) I am 226 right now
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    I ran my first 5K at 230 pounds...you can do it!!!
  • rainydays5
    rainydays5 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have been doing my own version. I walked/ran 3 miles for 4 weeks and now I am up to 4.25 miles in 60 minutes. I walk 5 minutes, jog 10 minutes, walk 1 minute, job 10 minutes then for the last 30 minutes I run at a higher speed for 1 minute, walk 1 minute(sometimes 2, just to get my heart rate back down). I hoping running the intervals at a higher pass will increase my speed when I jog the first part of it.
  • MmmDrop
    MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the C25k treadmill version with my 3 kids. I started at about 215 - I'm now at 199, although I'm only weighing in once a month. I don't want any scale frustrations to derail me from how amazing I'm feeling right now.

I do C25k then follow it up with kettlebell strength training 3 days a week. I've found that strength training has been vital for this program. On off days I either walk for an hour or Zumba for 45 minutes depending on how I'm feeling. I'm hypothyroid after having a full thyroidectomy so treating that plus moderate adrenal fatigue. Sometimes my off days I just feel like taking it easy.