Biggest Losers lose more than 2lbs/wk safely? How!?

Options
I just don't understand why its such a no-no to lose more than 2 lbs per week when the contestants on The Biggest Loser drop 10-20+ lbs in 7 days!

Granted, they have professional trainers and medical staff working with them, but essentially, they are only eating healthy and working out. That leads me to believe that if I eat healthy and incorporate muscle-friendly foods in my daily diet, my moderate exercise should be a positive factor, not a negative one threatening to eat away healthy muscle mass.

What am I missing in health education that makes Jillian Michaels' troops clear to drop buku weight, but not me?

I'm going for 4-5lbs per week... and I'm going to eat foods rich in muscle-building nutrients, drink Gatorade products, and get my rest to regenerate!

Replies

• sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand why its such a no-no to lose more than 2 lbs per week when the contestants on The Biggest Loser drop 10-20+ lbs in 7 days!

Granted, they have professional trainers and medical staff working with them, but essentially, they are only eating healthy and working out. That leads me to believe that if I eat healthy and incorporate muscle-friendly foods in my daily diet, my moderate exercise should be a positive factor, not a negative one threatening to eat away healthy muscle mass.

What am I missing in health education that makes Jillian Michaels' troops clear to drop buku weight, but not me?

I'm going for 4-5lbs per week... and I'm going to eat foods rich in muscle-building nutrients, drink Gatorade products, and get my rest to regenerate!

be careful with the gatorade, it can be a nutritional nightmare for those who are not intense athletes, and it can make you gain weight, go check it out here: http://www.livestrong.com/article/68710-effects-much-gatorade/
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Stop watching that show. The way the contestants are treated is horrible.

http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/

What you should be striving for is changing your unhealthy lifestyle (nutrition plan and exercise routine) to a healthier one. The weight will come off in time and long term, sustainable results are what you should be striving for.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    To lose 4-5lbs a week you'd need to create a 2000-2500 calorie deficit everyday. GLHF.
  • seraphinelle
    seraphinelle Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've read somewhere that sometimes their 'week' is longer than an actual week.
  • bfinup
    bfinup Posts: 47
    Options
    They also start out huge, so they can lose a ton of weight in the beginning, which is also why their weightloss slows to a crawl at the end.

Their weeks also vary in length as that interview suggests.

Also sports drinks are just as bad for you as pop if you aren't involved in intense athletic events. Our body is pretty good about regulating sodium/electrolytes, so don't buy into that hype unless you are performing at a level that requires it.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the risk of being morbidly obese every second of every day probably outweighs the risk of rapid weight loss they have them doing. Also, when your maintenance calories are around the 9000 number it's easy to create that kind of loss.....which if yours is (which I don't think it is looking at your pic) than have at it.

p.s. I would live to see someone drop that kind of weight in a week drinking gator aid. Unless you are a pro athlete or 16 year old with raging hormones then it would be a miracle. Might as well just drink coke instead.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    A "week" on Biggest Loser is a LOT longer than a real week.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I read an article about how a lot of them end up with eating disorders due to the show. Definitely not a healthy way to do it.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    they do it for shock value. its television.

unless severly obese, its not reccomended to lose that much in a week.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    And many of those people end up gaining weight back and struggling with disordered eating. Fast =/= best.

Go slow and get it right this time. Getting your mind right with what you are eating and how much takes time. Creating new routines and habits takes time. If you don't want to find yourself having to keep losing 50lbs or so then figure out how to stop the cycle of yo-yo dieting.

Stick with the 1-2lb/week loss and get not just your body fit, but your mind as well. Don't set yourself up for failure.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would be possible for you to lose that much week after week until you hit goal. Wouldn't you have to go pretty low on your calories to accomplish that and work out like a fool?
    You're not severely obese by the looks of it and I don't think your body could give up that much that fast safely.

I think you could definitely do it in 6 months though. (the remaining 67 lbs)
  • stephenszymanski
    stephenszymanski Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    1) They are morbidly obese. They can lose more than 2lbs a week safely, especially early in the process.

2) It's a TV show. A week in real life, might not be a week for the TV show. It could be 3 days. 5 days. 7 days. 10 days. You get the picture.

3) Biggest Loser sucks. I hate the way they train these people. Especially in the start, when they are utterly out of shape, and they push them to do ridiculous things. If they can't, they get yelled at.

Extreme Weight Loss is a much better show. Powell pushes the people, but he doesn't ever discourage or negatively reinforce.
  • MissyAZjourney
    MissyAZjourney Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The negative thing about that show, is the competition part...you can lose 9 pounds in a "week" and be the one who lost the smallest amount of weight...and everyone is looking sad and shaking their head...and they ask them..."Bob...how does that make you feel?" putting them down for succeeding! or someone who worked their butt off all week and lost 0...like they were a failure! THAT pisses me off. Never once have I heard any of the coaches say...HEY...this is normal...your body is just catching up and you will have ups and downs... They dont really teach reality to the masses and I can see how they would easily have an eating disorder after going thru that.

I do love to watch just to see the transformations tho...I'm a before and after visual sucker....
  • michellechawner
    Options

People on the biggest loser also weigh 400-500 pounds, clearly you do not.

Have you told your doctor you want to lose 5 pounds a week? If he agrees, you better find a new doctor.

Let's just drink a ton of sugar to lose weight? I understand dehydration, and agree with everyone unless you are an intense athlete or a 15 year old with raging hormones, drink water, EAT YOUR FOOD, and lose weight the right way.

I read you want to get healthy for your son and a future pregnancy... this doesn't seem all that healthy... would you want YOUR daughter doing it while trying to get pregnant?
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Better to stay away from the sports drinks. Drink coconut water instead.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    It's a TV show.

How much of it do you think is real and guided by the legitimate long-term health goals of the contestants, and how much do you think is guided by creating a drama that will attract a large audience?
  • saeede83
    saeede83 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    What's the rush? If you can lose slow and steady the healthy way why would you want to lose so fast?
  • MeganRhea_x
    MeganRhea_x Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else is saying... also they work out for HOURS a day. Like 6+ hours so they are burning tons and tons of calories and probably not eating back any of those burned calories. Whether that is safe or not, I'm not sure. But I don't see how a normal person who works and has other responsibilities has the time to workout for most of the day like they do. Just exercise and eat right and the weight will come off!
  • muchadoaboutme2000
    muchadoaboutme2000 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Not to feed the cliche' machine but : "Weightloss is a marathon. Not a sprint." Everyone above has stated the same thoughts I have. Their "weeks" aren't 7 days. When you're 500lbs, you're gonna lose a s**t ton a week because you're creating a new deficit from your normal 9k/cal diet and shock value. It's REALITY TV!

Do not base real life decisions on a game show. There are multiple benefits to losing weight slowly. First off: Skin. Don't get me started on the flying squirrel body I now have because I was losing quickly and addicted to cardio. Second: Your heart. If you drop weight too quickly, it can cause extra strain on your cardiovascular system. Let your body ADJUST to your new weight. Don't stress it out more than it already is. Third: You need to be able to maintain this healthy lifestyle. It's not just calories in vs calories out. It's about changing your LIFE.

You need a healthy relationship with food and not focus on the scale. Also, Gatorade is the devil. Chocolate milk would get you a lot further. Do your homework on THAT junk before you throw a bunch of sugar and salt into the mix. Good luck finding what works for you, but don't hurt yourself doing it. <3
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Plus, don't they work out like 4-6 hours or more a day?

I've seen people lose 7lbs the first week then 0-2 the next week. That's usually expelling water when you drink 8+ glasses a day.

It's great to have a goal, but please don't set yourself up for failure. How will you feel / react if you DON'T lose 4-5lbs per week. Will you get depressed? Or will you be more committed, more focused? and I mean, week after week, month after month.

I personally believe in setting several smaller goals for myself in working towards the big, overall goal. You can also "pay yourself" $1 per workout and save the money to buy yourself something special (new pants, new shoes, whatever)

Good luck on your weight loss journey. Hopefully you'll find a good balance that works for you and helps you achieve your overall goals.