Getting down and dirty

Hughes39
Hughes39 Posts: 169
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
to those horrid pictures of reality!

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy108/momsince07/my photos-private/redcopy.jpg

*sigh*
I need help. (clearly)

What can I do to tone my flabby arms? and what about my thunder thighs? I'm having horrible knee pain so lunges and things of that sort are out of the question for now. And my but could use some serious help as well!

Replies

• gtoqueen
    gtoqueen Posts: 2 Member
    I have bad knees too. I was told by my physical therapist to ride a stationary bike. It burns tons of calories and it a good muscle builder for your legs. This will help lighten up the knee pain. Also it is a great cardo workout too.
  • Wholigan
    Wholigan Posts: 3 Member
    I used to have knee pain a lot as well. As I've dropped weight and gotten in better shape it's not as bad, but I still dislike doing high impact exercises. (especially squats) they kill my knees. Anyway, I've found that swimming is terrific for toning and all around great way to exercise! Even water aerobics is great, you get all the benefits of regular aerobics plus the added workout from being in the water. Keep at it you can do it!
  • The only work out stuff I have is my wii fit, two 3lb hand weights, and the jillian michaels 30 DS. We live in a small town so no pool or gym. i appreciate all of the suggestions but does anyone have any that is more realistic for what I have available for me?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Invest in some good walking shoes and some elastic bands and get busy.

Build up your endurance, throw the kids in stroller, and get out and walk for an hour a day at a brisk pace. There are plenty of band routines to start doing some muscle work. Cooking and eating healthy doesn't require a lot of expensive equipment either.

It's not asking too much and you are not being a bad mother or partner if you take 60-70 minutes a day for your health.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Good for you, you brave soul. One thing I've done to help with the arms is to warm up on the treadmill with weights. I do as many arm curls and lifts as I can imagine to music for the first 15 minutes on the treadmill. Then I do my run. If your not ready for the treadmill just get a set of 3 or 5 pound weights, sit in a chair with good back posture and move to some tunes.
    We all start somewhere, congratulations on finding this site, It works.
  • panjabi
    panjabi Posts: 70 Member
    Lot's of walking, as fast as you can comfortably manage, anything over 30 mins a day is great.

For the arms, you won't need heavy weights, the ones you have are propably ok, maybe a little on the heavy side, go for high reps with low weights.

There are a number of exercises you can do, look them up on some fitness websites like LAMuscle, Fitness.tv or even youtube and pick out the relevant ones like shoulder press, curls, tricep curls and away you go.

Watch those arms tone up!

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.