Early Fifties and disgusted... HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Options
Hello, I started back on here today for first time in about 4 months. My 53rd birthday is on the 12th of August and I'm disgusted with myself. I weighed in at 205.2 today. I also am only 5'4". I would like to loose 50 lbs by next year's 54 birthday. ANY help I would so greatly appreciate. I am just starting today. What is a realistic goal to loose by December 31? MY daughter is getting married that day. I am in a tight fittiing sz 16 right now... Please help... Suggestions... Exercise... Motivation...

Replies

• Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    OK so you're here so your're motivated now. the only advice I can give you is to stick with it and take baby steps. No one ever said that this journey we all make is easy, but it IS possible. You have lots of support here, to pick you up when you fall, and we all fall - hell, we're only human after all.
    Add friends (me if you like) I will support you and try to motivate you, but in the end, its your effort that will take you to where you want to be
    Exercise is the key and I would suggest that you did what I started with - Walk. Walk EVERY DAY. 30 minutes to start and build up. Just walk - anywhere, if you have a dog take him.her. If not, then just walk and enjoy your surroundings. A 30 minute walk will tone up your legs and help to start burning the calories. You can add to your exercise regime as you progress and the effort will make you feel good about yourself.
    Its great that you decided to come back on here and try again. By next year, I hope that you;re looking in the mirror and seeing what you want to see. You can do this!
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I;d add to my post above, that realistically, I would aim for one pound per week. you may lose more, or not. But in four months, you should be more than a stone lighter. That would be REAL progress!!
  • bdenitto
    bdenitto Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I started at 270 on August 1st and by December 31, I had lost 48 pounds. I found that logging my food, eating healthier, and exercising are key to me losing the weight. I also had some great friends on here. Feel free to add me and good luck!
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Baby steps, definitely.

At work, if possible, take stairs instead of using the elevator. Park at the far end of the parking lot. Take 10 minutes of your lunch hour and walk.

If you drive a desk, try to stand up for a few minutes of every hour.

If you know you are eating unhealthy, try cutting down on portion sizes of things that aren't good for you. Cut down, not out.

What I have found is that trying to do too much too fast just made me frustrated. Slower is better.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I've lost 2 stone and a dress size and a cup size since November! If that's any guide.

Slow and steady is the way to go - and the other thing would be don't panic if/when you hit a plateau or get stuck - it happens to us all! Stick with it and you'll do it :flowerforyou:

Oh - and don't be disgusted with yourself - you're still a beautiful person!:

(ed) and fill up your friends list with people who will cheer you on and encourage you and help you when you need it! I find that a great help. Happy to be one of them if you want to add me :smile:
  • poohbear1958
    poohbear1958 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and just started on this - was very surprised at my initial weight. Please feel free to add me for mutual support.
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I'll be 55 near the end of this month. I started here at the beginning of July. Logging the food I eat and exercising have been working for me so far. That and the encouragement of friends here and in "real life." Just take, as suggested above, baby steps. You can do it!!!!!
  • Kevinkpcc55
    Kevinkpcc55 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Agree with all that has been said so far, target 1lb a week weight loss, don't go in guns blazing, reducing calorie intake down to the amount a sparrow can consume in a day.

The biggest hurdle we (and i say we in our 50's have to over come), is to kick start that metabolism again, unfortunately
    at our ages it slows down, due to muscle deterioration, so working on getting them up and running again will work wonders for your weight loss.

Good luck on your journey, there are plenty on here to help if you need it, just add and ask away.
  • Courtney011691
    Options
    Try this website out. It definitely helped me see what I needed to do and what would be realistic. I wouldn't depend on it and don't get yourself down if you don't quite make the marks it supplies. Everyone is different. It does provide a great starting point for realistic goals though!

http://losertown.org/eats/cal.php
  • mtnhiker1
    mtnhiker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My opinion: Realistic Goal is 21 lbs by the end of December, that is 1 lb per week.

Advice: Be totally honest about the calories and the food you eat, about your daily level of exercise, and log everything

even toothpaste (maybe that is carrying it a bit to far)
  • hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    even toothpaste (maybe that is carrying it a bit to far)

....I never even thought about calories in toothpaste... :noway:

I think that's going a bit far, so unless I hit a plateau I don't think I will Google Sensodyne's nutritional info. YET haha.
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I was almost your weight 16 months ago (also 5'4") and have gone from obese, to overweight, to normal weight in that time. I joined the YMCA and signed up for some group classes that were pegged for my demographic (older adults). I also went back to Weight Watchers (as I was a Lifetime member who had backslid); had I know about MFP then, I would have joined it. I only discovered MFP last November. I reached my Weight Watcher goal by Dec, but knew I wanted to keep going, so am now 22 lbs below that preliminary goal.

As far as progress goes, I lost a pound each week, following a 1200 cal/day plan, along with exercise several times a week. As I got closer to my goal, that loss has slowed down a bit, which is normal. As I became more fit, I upped my exercise to 4-5 times a week, plus I walk every day. I even have ventured into some classes at the Y that are not pegged to older adults. I feel better than I have in years. One pound a week might sound discouraging to someone who wants to lose weight faster, but I am down 61 lbs from where I was in March '12. The time went by whether I was losing or gaining that weight. And, I never had a week when I had gained even an ounce.

I will say that prior to going back to regular exercise, I was not able to lose weight consistently, as I used to be able to do when I was younger. For me, I had to both watch my diet AND incorporate exercise into my life. This is often the lot for the older woman; guess its a metabolism thing. Of course, I am way older than you.

Please friend me if you would like!
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    You've had some great advice in the posts above. I would second the advice to walk, not so much for the calories burned, but for me, exercise seems to help me moderate my food intake and choices. 30-40 minutes a day can make such a difference. If you can get to a gym see if you can find a class that would suit you, or do intervals on a cardio machine. I also second the advice to to go too low calorie. You want to make this a change you can sustain. All the very best of luck to you. Logging in here is working for me, however slowly, both in weight and in health....I'm staying off cholesterol meds!
  • sunfirelynn
    sunfirelynn Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hello, Im 51 and way over weight alot of mine may be due to medicines but ive been here since may of this yr. and lost over 20 pounds so just do what the MFP tells you and you should lose a pound or two a week. Good luck to you and feel free to add me :smile:
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    The things that are difficult but which get done in our lives nonetheless are the things that we make our priorities.
  • l2b1
    l2b1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Well, you're younger than me and weigh less so I'm actually kind of jealous. I just started on this site a few days ago & I've already found posting my meals (what I should be eating) before I eat them helps. I don't want to change my food diary. Good luck & let us know how you're doing.
  • megfischer
    megfischer Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    In addition to exercise, open your taste buds to a whole new world of food choices!, I found taking a few hours in the grocery store and reading labels for calories and macros really got me interested in new foods. We all love chips and dips, but that can be replaced with Earing Right sea salt popped crisps (120 calories for 23 chips) and Oikos yogurt French onion dip (25 calories for 2 tbsps!). That's a fraction of traditional. Get to the store and get started on your new adventure in exploring new products and favors. Also, I follow Hungry Girl website and tv show since she has great filing recipes with low calorie count. good luck and enjoy the journey!
  • cmeranda79
    cmeranda79 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend finding changes you can stick with long-term (for months or maybe years), and picking one area (breakfast, cardio, etc) at a time in which to find that change, so you're not overwhelmed. For instance, I typically eat like a 10 year-old on Halloween: candy, cookies, etc. So I decided to start eating a breakfast that's quick but healthy and full of protein, no sugar: spinach, two fried eggs, salsa, green onions, stuff like that. That was my one change. It makes a huge amount of difference over time, and can be the start of a change in your mindset, IMHO.

Regarding exercise, I'd say find something you really enjoy doing: frisbee with the dog, walking around a botanical garden, snowshoeing, martial arts, ballroom dancing, etc. And then find friends or groups to do it with, to keep you motivated to show up and have fun on a consistent basis. Consistent is the key word there. Personally I do yoga, road biking and work with a trainer twice a week. I think that incorporating some kind of resistance training is extraordinarily beneficial. You'll become strong in both muscle and bone, balanced, toned and you burn more calories even when sitting on your *kitten* :)
  • Clarisse732
    Options
    I'm 54 and looking for friends too. Add me if you like. I am committed to my program of logging meals and exercise and am looking forward to getting out of my baby step phase, haha
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Better than 63 and disgusted! Do it for yourself and stop feeling disgusted. It's a waste of energy that should be used to get healthy! You can do it! Good Luck/Cindy