For the women out there...Free weights or machines?

Options
Just curious, what do the women out there that strength train like better? Free weights or machines? Which gets better results?

Replies

• hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    free weights, hands down. machines don't let you do compound movements (which use more than that one muscle you are working)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Free weights. No competition.

When I was in college I used machines all the time. Within one month of starting a compound barbell lifting routine I had gotten better results than I ever got from months and months of machines.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Free weights absolutely. I've tried machines and programs using them with little to show for it. Do StrongLifts, starting strength, or new rules of lifting for women. You will be shocked at what you can do. If you do SL, join this group for support, a writeup of the program, and answers to any questions you have:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • LisaUlrey
    LisaUlrey Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have never used free weights or machines before ( I know that sounds crazy). Not sure where to start. Trainers are not an option for the time I am able to go to the gym (later in the evening). Any suggestions?
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Free weights definitely.
    Start with one of the things lilawolf suggested :)
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Free Weights. But then again, I've never used machines.

I'm not at a stage where I want to target a specific muscle group so it's all about compound movements for me!!
  • LisaUlrey
    LisaUlrey Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Free weights absolutely. I've tried machines and programs using them with little to show for it. Do StrongLifts, starting strength, or new rules of lifting for women. You will be shocked at what you can do. If you do SL, join this group for support, a writeup of the program, and answers to any questions you have:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Just started reading New Rules of Lifting for women. I have never belonged to a gym before and I have never lifted. I am very intimidated and a little nervous. So far, I have spent my time doing cardio until I get though the book. I am weak and I hate it. Still have 23 pounds to lose so I am not sure how my diet fits into the strength training yet.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Get the book Starting Strength and watch a lot of YouTube videos.

I started with the Stronglifts program, but Starting Strength has more instructions about form, and the programs are really similar.

Start LIGHT, with just the bar, until you learn correct form.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing New Rules - free weights all the way.. and at home, too.
    I've learned so much about my body, and dropped so many inches than I did before using weight machines in the gym.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the last time I went to the machine side of the gym, but I think it's a great start for beginners.
  • smmartloss10
    Options
    I like machines..
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    I have never used free weights or machines before ( I know that sounds crazy). Not sure where to start. Trainers are not an option for the time I am able to go to the gym (later in the evening). Any suggestions?

Read Stronglifts or NROL4W. Pick one. That will get you some good reading info, watch youtube videos on how to do the exercises. Then head to your gym and start! Bring a male buddy if you feel you need a spot.
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    Also, FREE WEIGHTS. Noooooooooooo competition. For realsies.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Get the book Starting Strength and watch a lot of YouTube videos.

I started with the Stronglifts program, but Starting Strength has more instructions about form, and the programs are really similar.

Start LIGHT, with just the bar, until you learn correct form.

^^^^ thisity this

and free weights for me too
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Free weights for sure. In the beginning I would use the machines because they were a bit less intimidating but eventually found my way to free weights and found that they were much more effective.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm not a woman but I'll chime in anyway because it doesn't matter if you're a man or woman...free weights are going to give you the most bang for your workout buck.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Free weights
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    I only know the machine .. well it isn't motorized. lol I sit at a bench and stand.