what to put on oatmeal?

Options
I like oatmeal but I put way to much brown sugar on it . So what is a nice alternative to get the same kind of taste. Not a fruit in my oatmeal girl. Oh ya what's the best oatmeal to buy?

Replies

• estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter, raisins and cinnamon.

yumm
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I mix a little natural peanut butter and a smashed up banana in it while it's cooking. No sugar needed!
  • sazziecee
    Options
    I either use a tsp of jam or golden syrup, sometimes honey

Last week I tried a tsp of Nutella, wasn't bad actually

I buy the cheapest oatmeal there is, the microwavable sachets don't keep you as full for long, as they have been processed somehow
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    -Canned pumpkin, a little sugar, Cinnamon
    -Maple syrup
    -Raw sugar
  • ambercole
    Options
    pb and a banana all smashed up, or pumpkin puree with alittle pumpkin pie spice and slpenda.
  • faithstephenson
    faithstephenson Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I use about 1 tablespoon brown sugar and some dried cherries. I know, that's fruit, but it's quite good.
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    I put plain yogourt and walnuts with brown sugar or maple syrup (just a little). :drinker:

My favourite oatmeal is the stone cut that you can buy in the organic section or organic maple nut instant oatmeal.
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    steel cut oats! delicious!

you could always put some light agave nectar on it (dont use the dark stuff, its gross when its not baked in something, the light tastes like honey)

make a mixture of a no calorie sweetner (i use stevia powder, its natural), a tiny bit of brown sugar, and cinnamon, keep it in a little jar just for your oatmeal, you still get the delicious brown sugary sweetness but its WAY less calories!

man! we're out of oatmeal! XD now i want some!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I put granola on top of mine. I really don't like oatmeal. So the granola breaks up the taste and the texture.
  • davidmmunoz
    Options
    Im not a fruit person either, but I got over it. Try a little dried cherries and blueberries, smidge of brown sugar and cinnamon..... I like the jam idea too.
  • sandyland324
    Options
    Today I did a banana and some walnuts. Sometimes I use the Agave sweetener. The Biggest Loser cookbook makes it like this:
    (makes 4 servings) Heat 1 1/2 cup FF milk until just about boiling, add 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats - cook , stirring for 1-2 mins or until creamy.
    Mash 1 very ripe banana with 1/2 tsp of vanilla, add to oats. Remove from heat, cover, let stand for about 5 mins. divide between 4 bowls and sprinkle with 1tsp chopped walnuts.
    150 cals, 7g protein, 26g carb, 3g fat, 0 mg chol, 4g fiber, 40mg sodium.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I put peaches in my oatmeal this time of year. Cook it in the last three minutes or so.

I also buy a local oatmeal. Check the web or local type stores for some. I also use Bob's Red Mill.
  • sucre322
    Options
    i hear cinnamon is great on oatmeal....
  • Pendragn
    Options
    I put a scoop of whey protein powder in my oatmeal. Adds a bit of flavor without having to add sugar or other sweetener. It also balances out the complex carbs and protein. Occasionally, I vary it up a bit. Sometimes I add a banana and cinnamon. The other day I put in diced apple and dried cranberries.
  • allief
    Options
    What is the best kind that you can microwave? I have to cook my breakfast at work so I am limited to the microwave. I agree that the packets just don't fill you up as much, but that is my only option if I want oatmeal.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats, for sure! I make mine in the microwave and it's delicious, fast and super filling...

1/3 cup oats + 2/3 cup water on high for 1 min
    Stir and add 3 dates, chopped and 1 tsp-1 tbsp of walnuts (to taste?)
    Nuke on high for another 45 seconds and you're done!

Highly recommended...
  • sharmonesq
    sharmonesq Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I cook it with water (in the microwave) and then add fat free milk, 1/2 scoop of vanilla protein powder, cinamon, and sometimes slivered almonds.
  • maroon58
    maroon58 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    raspberries on soooo yummy on oatmeal!
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I take about 50g (1/4cup?) of dried blueberries and I put them in water and nuke them until they are hot, then I add the blueberries to the oatmeal and cook it all together.

Sometimes just a bit on honey, but certainly cinnamon :bigsmile:
  • skinnytayy
    Options
    raisins + cinnamon + a sweetener of your choice (i prefer splenda)