Game of Thrones: Rorge and Biter. Thoughts?

Options
rml_16
rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
I posted this last evening and didn't get a lot of response, so I wanted to see what the daytime crowd thinks. I would have just bumped last night's thread, but every time I click "reply" I get "The site is temporarily down for maintenance." Can MFP PLEASE fix that glitch???

So, I've thought about this and I'm hoping GRRM has some hidden agenda about those two because otherwise, this is a HUGE plot hole.

Why in the world would Yoren choose them for the Wall? It seems like that would be a major mistake, having them running loose, even there, and would they really be good Black Brothers?

What do you all think?

Replies

• LordOberon
    LordOberon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If I remember correctly, you haven't finished all the books. Biter does come up in Dance with Dragons and Rorge is mentioned as well.

As far as why they were chosen, I think that there wasn't much choice. By the time of the events of the books, the Black Watch was only being stocked with the vile and desperate men. Yoren needed men, even if they were awful, he had to take them to help fill the ranks of the watch. I enjoyed the plot twist with Jon Snow's story when he learns his sworn brothers are basically really ****ty men.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Right, they take rapists and murderers, I get that. But Biter EATS PEOPLE. How were they going to control those guys? They at least had some control over the others (until they got really desperate).

I'm nearly done with A Feast for Crows and they're both dead now. There has to be something about them that hasn't been revealed yet. Because otherwise, their presence seems like a lazy plot device to make other things happen without their characters actually making sense otherwise.
  • rml_16
    Options
    No ne else? Am I the only one with questions about these two???
  • LordOberon
    Options
    I agree they are a plot device, but not all characters have to be complex or woven throughout the story for them to matter. It could be that they are there to show how desperate the Night's Watch is, that they will take a cannibal. They end up in the Band of Brothers to end up having Brienne kill Rorge but get her face chewed on by Biter. So that does give them more to do than just what was in Clash of Kings.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I agree they are a plot device, but not all characters have to be complex or woven throughout the story for them to matter. It could be that they are there to show how desperate the Night's Watch is, that they will take a cannibal. They end up in the Band of Brothers to end up having Brienne kill Rorge but get her face chewed on by Biter. So that does give them more to do than just what was in Clash of Kings.
    Yes, but their presence should make more sense is all. It's like he threw them in to further a plot where another character introduced in a more believable way would have worked just as well.

Other throw-away characters' presences make more sense to me. I guess the idea that the Night's Watch was the desperate makes a little sense, but I still don't buy it, especially since Yoren had a pretty large band following him back to the Wall with that group.
  • LordOberon
    Options
    I do get what you are saying. Without having GRRM to explain/defend them, there is no way to know for sure. I bet there are many GoT fans that would agree with you as there are many like myself that aren't really bothered by it. I guess that is what makes books/movies/sports fun to discuss and debate; that there are different interpretations of the same event.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Just wait. Read the rest of the books. This question won't bother you so much once you're done. I promise. :flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    Options
    Yes! I love the discussion.

I think in the hands of a lesser author, I would set it aside as poor writing. I think GRRM is better than that. I have a strong feeling that there will be a lot of shocking stuff in book 7.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Just wait. Read the rest of the books. This question won't bother you so much once you're done. I promise. :flowerforyou:
    Thanks! I have book 5 on my desk at home and should be starting it tomorrow.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about the books or the tv series?
    because I've watched all 3 season's and have no idea what you're talking about. Didn't read the books.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Are you talking about the books or the tv series?
    because I've watched all 3 season's and have no idea what you're talking about. Didn't read the books.
    Books.

Rorge and Biter were the other two prisoners in the wagon with Jaqen, so when he offers to kill three people for Arya in exchange for her saving three lives, he means his and theirs.

I haven't seen season 3, but they come up a few times in the books. They joined the Brave Companions. I think the show does that part differently. In the books, Arya never serves Tywin Lannister it Harrenhall. That whole part is different.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I finished A Dance with Dragons last night. The question still bothers me.