Been A While / Getting Back Into the Groove

Options
CookNLift
CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
I used to be in mediocre shape,running a 8.5 minute mile doing 100 pushups in the morning and at night and 200 sit ups each as well. I currently can barely get myself to do 20, and it feels pretty embarassing. I can't believe how fast the years and lack of exercise have weakened me.

What would be a good way to start, and get back into my groove. I know a little by little goes a long way, but it's pretty frustrating to do 20 push ups and be weak afterwards.

Anyone have any good tips? I plan on starting boxing and muay thai soon, and want to be in better shape before going into them.

Replies

• CookNLift
    Options
    bump....anyone?
  • CookNLift
    Options
    bump.....
  • CookNLift
    Options
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You said it yourself: a little goes a long way.

If you can't go as fast as you used to, then for now, go slow. Go slow and work back up to fast. Same with push-ups. Do 20 today, maybe 22 tomorrow, then 25 the third day....and so forth (I'm inventing numbers out of my head; Google 100 push up challenge for a better ramp-up schedule). In any case, build up slowly, adding a few each day, until you get to where you want to be.

You probably already know this, but it'll probably take a little while to get back into what feels like "your groove." Because you'll be mentally comparing your now self with your old self, and that experience might be frustrating. Just remember that it's temporary and the progress you seek will come as long as you keep chugging away.

I know what it's like to get back on the wagon after time away. Good luck!