Trying to lower my carb intake for new diet.....failing....

Options

Replies

• ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    My ex was a sleep eater. Drove me nuts!! Can't tell you how many times I went to get my leftovers and they were gone. He never knew what happened to my food, it would just be gone! LOL
    Haha!! I am glad I am not alone:)
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    OP, I love how people completely ignore both your perfect legitimate explanation as well as you profile pic that clearly indicates that your buff as hell, and have no weight problem and still offer you something totally opposite of what your looking for. :laugh:

When I cut carbs I just had to power through. It was miserable for sure, and it lasted 9 days for me. Most people say they are past it in 2-3 days. I did it for a different reason though... I am a diabetic and would suffer horrendous post-exercise spikes... 500+ BG to the point where I could barely see. I went super low and stayed there until it I stopped getting the glycogen blast. I now roam upwards of 100g per day on occasion, but still try to stay below 50.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    planning is all you need...

work out six meals a day , fibre supliment, multivit, omega 3 capsules and primrose oil - buy stuff in for a week and eat the same every day at the same time and on less than 20g of carbs you ll have no craving for them, you ll have plenty of energy and sleep like a baby for the first time in years ! - wont even feel hungry.

As, for losing weight - your body goes " flat" and for me on 1750 ish cals the weight loss was very rapid and im at 13% bodyfat taking a break and maintaining it eating carbs again purely because of the heat and my choice to do so preparing for the next leg down. ( i notice i lack energy when training and eating carbs in still sticking to 1750 cals )

ps - its true there is very little muscle mass loss
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options

work out six meals a day , fibre supliment, multivit, omega 3 capsules and primrose oil - buy stuff in for a week and eat the same every day at the same time and on less than 20g of carbs you ll have no craving for them, you ll have plenty of energy and sleep like a baby for the first time in years ! - wont even feel hungry.

As, for losing weight - your body goes " flat" and for me on 1750 ish cals the weight loss was very rapid and im at 13% bodyfat taking a break and maintaining it eating carbs again purely because of the heat and my choice to do so preparing for the next leg down.

6 meals a day? No thanks Jeff!
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I only managed to lower my carbs when I focused on INCREASING my protein intake instead - then my carb intake then dropped by itself.

I hope that helps.

This. Also I still Ste carbs like sweet potato and red potatoes. Just no bread, pasta, rice etc.
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

As, for losing weight - your body goes " flat" and for me on 1750 ish cals the weight loss was very rapid and im at 13% bodyfat taking a break and maintaining it eating carbs again purely because of the heat and my choice to do so preparing for the next leg down.

Actually 6 meals s day did help with insulting balance which in turn helps control carb cravings.
  • ChiManLifts
    Options

Lmao...no thanks Jeff is right

brb 10 meals a day or I'll starve
  • mrdexter1
    Options

each to their own, but i guess you re "special" and your body is unique in storing protein rather than needing it like the rest of us mere mortals !!!!
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

Actually 6 meals s day did help with insulting balance which in turn helps control carb cravings.

No, sorry - maybe in your head of backwards theories, but no.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

each to their own, but i guess you re "special" and your body is unique in storing protein rather than needing it like the rest of us mere mortals !!!!

Protein takes hours, and hours, and hours to digest. Do some research.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    OP, you may want to edit your original post to include the information about trying it out for your clients. Most people don't read all the comments on a forum and you're just going to get more people asking why.
  • luvlc
    luvlc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There is nothing gimmicky or temporary about weight loss with a low carb diet...unless you think it's a diet and you go back to eating carbs. Like any way of eating, you have to find what works for you and stick with it...forever. No easy fix for most people. I have lost 200 lbs with a low carb diet and have kept it off for 7 years. In the beginning it is easier to cut them drastically to 20 or so a day and after the first week or so, gradually increase until you find your optimal level. For people with no major metabolic issues, up to 100 gm or so daily will be ok. You can get the maximum health benefits by staying at 75 gm or less per day. However, for others, eating additional carbs trigger cravings and binge eating. It's all YMMV. Even cutting refined sugars and white starch from your diet will help your health in the long run. Good luck!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am trying to lower my carbs to experiment with a new diet. This, unlike previous diets I have experimented with, has proven very difficult. I have to say I love my carbs. I know what I have to do to get there, but I am looking for any help on how experienced carb cutters have managed to stay away from them. I actually sleep eat....lol-Waking up and going to the fridge in the middle of the night. My carb intake is ranging from 60-100 grams and before was around 200 hundred....Maybe it was too drastic of a cut. Failing but still fighting! Any input is appreciated:) Thanks!

How about instead of low carb, think low processed carbs? Your body burns more calories processing carbs in their natural state, especially when raw, which is an extra benefit. The natural carbs (fruits and vegetables) also have the extra benefit of more water and fiber, which slows down the processing of the carbs and sugars, which helps your insulin from spiking and dropping. I pair carb snacks with fats and protein to increase this effect. For example, every morning I blend a cup of strawberries, three ounces of two percent Greek yogurt, half a cup of milk and three or four packages of Stevia (or a dropper full of Stevia liquid you can get at Whole Foods). I have a snack of fruit and a couple of egg whites from a hard boiled egg for a snack, eat a salad with grilled chicken for lunch with an apple or orange, have a snack in the afternoon - usually hummus and salted cucumbers and tomatoes, and then chicken, steak or fish for dinner with a baked potato or homemade sweet potato fries and a couple of veggies (I love roasted zucchini with parmesan cheese and usually eat steamed broccoli). I cook extra veggies so on late dinner days I can just heat them up, or I make sure I have salad stuff in the fridge, or I munch on carrots and celery while I cook dinner.
    This summer I have been a bad girl, but usually when I eat as described above, I do really well with weight loss. I hope you find what works for you!
  • Dwindlyn
    Options
    Hahaha! I love it! Bacon is a cure all for sure!
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am trying to lower my carbs to experiment with a new diet. This, unlike previous diets I have experimented with, has proven very difficult. I have to say I love my carbs. I know what I have to do to get there, but I am looking for any help on how experienced carb cutters have managed to stay away from them. I actually sleep eat....lol-Waking up and going to the fridge in the middle of the night. My carb intake is ranging from 60-100 grams and before was around 200 hundred....Maybe it was too drastic of a cut. Failing but still fighting! Any input is appreciated:) Thanks!

How about instead of low carb, think low processed carbs? Your body burns more calories processing carbs in their natural state, especially when raw, which is an extra benefit. The natural carbs (fruits and vegetables) also have the extra benefit of more water and fiber, which slows down the processing of the carbs and sugars, which helps your insulin from spiking and dropping. I pair carb snacks with fats and protein to increase this effect. For example, every morning I blend a cup of strawberries, three ounces of two percent Greek yogurt, half a cup of milk and three or four packages of Stevia (or a dropper full of Stevia liquid you can get at Whole Foods). I have a snack of fruit and a couple of egg whites from a hard boiled egg for a snack, eat a salad with grilled chicken for lunch with an apple or orange, have a snack in the afternoon - usually hummus and salted cucumbers and tomatoes, and then chicken, steak or fish for dinner with a baked potato or homemade sweet potato fries and a couple of veggies (I love roasted zucchini with parmesan cheese and usually eat steamed broccoli). I cook extra veggies so on late dinner days I can just heat them up, or I make sure I have salad stuff in the fridge, or I munch on carrots and celery while I cook dinner.
    This summer I have been a bad girl, but usually when I eat as described above, I do really well with weight loss. I hope you find what works for you!

Agreed! I have my carbs limited to 70g/day. I didn't really go through withdrawals bc I didn't drop my carbs super low in the beginning.. it was gradual. The carbs I eat are generally from whole foods, not processed either. I can tell you that as soon as I upped my fat/protein intake, I hardly get hungry in between meals... plus my congestion cleared up a lot! That may also be from just cutting out a lot of the processed/sugar junk.

Best of Luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,755 Member
    Options
    Change your philosophy on diet then. I don't have any clients diet. Their best interests is for lifestyle change and you know as well as I do that diets of low carbs are just temporary and reverting back to eating them will cause a regain of weight.
    Change their thinking of portion control and not by totally changing their lifestyle diet. You can suggest more nutrient dense food, but let them make the decision to change to it.
    One of my favorite quotes is "Consistency is the difference between true champions and occasional winners". Don't let the client just win temporarily. Make sure they can do it for life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mrdexter1
    Options

you re from grimbsby... cant bring myself to disagree with you !!!
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I've also been consuming between 100-200 gms of carbs daily since I started MFP in January and I've lost 47 lbs so far. I've upped my protein intake, however, and I find that helps much more in maintaining muscle and losing weight.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

you re from grimbsby... cant bring myself to disagree with you !!!

...Right
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    60-100 g carbs is a horrible place to be. Bump it up to where you feel better- my guess would be 150 but it might be lower, or really do low carb and go to ketosis. That middle carb area leaves just about everyone with angry, bingey carb cravings and feeling miserable.