8 weeks of low carbs... A HUGE success!!

Options

Replies

• wrgawife
    wrgawife Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    WOW!! keep it up!!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    What a fantastic success story, thanks for sharing!
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. I hope all the disbelievers of low carb read your post and realise it is not all about low calorie.:wink:

Not at all..... About 2000 calories a day, most days, sometimes even 2500.
  • HopeSpringsE
    HopeSpringsE Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your improved numbers, especially your A1c, that;'s just great!

(Many years ago, my 50-something diabetic/hypertensive parents started Pritikin (no oil, no sugar, no red meat, no salt, no coffee & LOTS of walking/exercise) and lost all the weight they wanted to and got off insulin & BP meds. I was in my early 20s and followed the same plan and also lost the weight I wanted. For a few years we all kept on that regimen, but stopped, and our weight (and medicines +++ for my parents) returned. I've had it in my mind for years that Pritikin would be the only way I could lose weight again (and now turn my numbers and chronic pre-diabetic state around), but cannot see myself on such a stringent diet nor subject DH to same. I've only been on MFP since 09 Jul 13 and I am surprised and happy that it is working without having to restrict certain foods completely).

Motown 13, I am so glad you shared your results. I did not know about low carb diet effects; however, now I am going to learn in hopes I can improve my triglycerides, A1c, etc, too. Any suggestions you may have on any particular book or website that you recommend would be appreciated. Thanks, and congratulations again!
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Low carb is a dangerous fad. See this critique by the AMA:

http://www.atkinsexposed.org/atkins/75/American_Medical_Association.htm

By switching to a plant-based diet, I was able to lose 40 lbs in the first 60 days. I have lost 89 in 5 months. I haven't even been consistently disciplined as far as what I eat and logging calories are concerned, other than consuming only plant-based foods with the intent of eating healthfully and avoiding junk food. I eat 200-300 grams of carbohydrates per day. I'd like to see the low carber's explanation of that.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    My cholesterol improved significantly going lower carb (though currently I've been bad) my triglycerides went from an all time high of over 400 to wobbling around 100, and my HDL went from around 20 to 69.

I'm glad you have found something that works for you.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on such success! When you say low carb, how many grams per day were you allowed? Did you follow any particular plan, ex. Ketogenic diet or other?

Well, I keep my gross daily carbs limited to 30 or less, with a long term goal of allowing myself 50 or 60 a day..... no wheat, no pasta, no sugar no rice..... all my carbs, essentially came from veggies and the occasional carbs in heavy cream or processed meat... like pepperoni. I have read lots of books, and am taking bits and pieces from here, and there.

:indifferent: "30 grams or less"!!?!?!? i think i have that in my coffee creamer alone! lol
    i heard 100 grams a day is good.. seems more do-able.. awesum job though!! yeah my sister has done the low carb and it def works.. she lost like 10lbs in 6 days! (water wt of course) but def a motivator..
    your health changes are amazing!!!! eps the sugar :drinker:
  • motown13
    Options

By switching to a plant-based diet, I was able to lose 40 lbs in the first 60 days. I have lost 89 in 5 months. I haven't even been consistently disciplined as far as what I eat and logging calories are concerned, other than consuming only plant-based foods with the intent of eating healthfully and avoiding junk food. I eat 200-300 grams of carbohydrates per day. I'd like to see the low carber's explanation of that.

Yawn. ... You explain my fabulous results.

Hope...pm sent
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options

The SAD diet gobbling down sweets, soda, fast food, processed junk full of HFCS and chemicals is a dangerous fad.
  • ewrob
    Options

Hope...pm sent

I am happy for you that you consider your results to be fabulous. I hope you continue to improve your health, but you are talking to someone who loses over 7 lbs in 2 weeks, not 2 months. (A pace that I am still maintaining) You have likely cut back on highly processed, sugary foods since there are many such foods that are incidentally high in carbohydrates and undoubtedly this has contributed to the results that you have seen.

Again, the link that I posted is a critique from the AMA. It's not just some random guy's opinion. I would suggest reading it if you are truly interested in improving your health. Good luck and I hope you live a long, healthy, fulfilling life.
  • ewrob
    Options
    The SAD diet gobbling down sweets, soda, fast food, processed junk full of HFCS and chemicals is a dangerous fad.

If only it were a fad, rather than the mainstream diet.
  • motown13
    Options
    AMA ....ADA... All just marketing groups that don't give a damn about you, as long as the money keeps rolling in. And as should have been evident by my numbers, I am diabetic. And all those carbs would likely make things worse. I may have only lost 7 pounds over that time, but I am down 67 overall, so weight is not going to fly off me. All the easy pounds are long gone.
  • MatthewMacG
    MatthewMacG Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the results you have achieved.

I find it makes no sense in finding research online that supports different methods of eating; all the articles contradict each other and people find fault in every food available. Its better to find something that works for you individually, if you function better on less carbohydrates and the numbers improve in comparison to something else, then stick with what works regardless of research.

Ewrob, before you point out the flaws in how someone else eats, why not consider that eating this way is just as good as the way you eat especially since losing weight is all about calories in vs calories out regardless of what you eat.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options

Hope...pm sent

I am happy for you that you consider your results to be fabulous. I hope you continue to improve your health, but you are talking to someone who loses over 7 lbs in 2 weeks, not 2 months. (A pace that I am still maintaining) You have likely cut back on highly processed, sugary foods since there are many such foods that are incidentally high in carbohydrates and undoubtedly this has contributed to the results that you have seen.

Again, the link that I posted is a critique from the AMA. It's not just some random guy's opinion. I would suggest reading it if you are truly interested in improving your health. Good luck and I hope you live a long, healthy, fulfilling life.
    wow... ok did you actually read this link that you keep pushing? It doesn't seem like it. I think you linking outdated information and misrepresenting it IS dangerous - please stop.
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, it is not always about "calories in vs. calories out" for everyone. And, there are about 25% of the people who do NOT do well with lower carb diets, but 75% of us do! Especially, diabetics. I just wish I could get my parents to try it...

Even with lower carb, each person has their own individual threshold that works better for them than for someone else. I wish it could be dialed in easier. I am now doing 5% carb, 65% fat and 30% protein. Trying to limit my overall carbs to 50 grams a day or less - primarily focusing on no sugars!

I have lost 17 lbs since June 15th.

Good luck to everyone and keep up the good work! :flowerforyou:

(Books i have read, if anyone is interested are: Good Calories/Bad Calories; Why We Get Fat and What to do About it; The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living)
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    It is calories in, calories out... for fat loss. This is different, this is average glucose levels.

Great results! I am assuming you're a type 2, right? (My son is type 1, since he doesn't produce insulin at all, his BG can spike like crazy with literally ZERO carbs.)

You can safely experiment with increasing your carbs up a little bit at a time, sticking with low-density carbs like berries, as long as your a1c's stay down. I think you'll find that you can eat quite a bit more of carbs (truth be told, even 100 isn't all much in a day),

It's really hard to get a BG spike off of broccoli.

Well done!
  • LovelyVegetarian
    LovelyVegetarian Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Well done. I've been doing low carb for about a month now and it's working wonderfully well for me. Down 10 lbs + (I don't have a lot to lose but was stuck on a huge plateau) and I feel GREAT!

I used to be one of those non-believers, thinking this was all hype and a fad, but like you, I started to read and what I read made a whole lot of sense to me. I have diabetes as well as thyroid problems on both sides of my family and it feels good to know I can do something to try to minimize the chances of my getting these diseases.

I just wish more people would realize how sustainable this lifestyle is. Yeah it's hard for the first few days but honestly, I am NEVER hungry, my body is looking sooooo good and I have a TON of energy. I am not able to work out at the moment so my body changes are SOLELY due to this lifestyle. I have the odd day where I eat more carbs but I started with 75 gr a day and am now at 40 gr or lower and I love it.

Congratulations again and keep up the wonderful work! I can't wait to post my success story, 10 lbs from now.
  • motown13
    Options

(Books i have read, if anyone is interested are: Good Calories/Bad Calories; Why We Get Fat and What to do About it; The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living)

I have read all those and more.... and one I really liked was Wheat Belly. And for diabetics, The Diabetes Solution, by Dr. Bernstein. And if you want to see something pretty amazing, watch Dr. Peter Attia on youtube..... he eats 90% fat, and he used to eat the SAD. And he's healthier now than then.
  • ewrob
    Options
    AMA ....ADA... All just marketing groups that don't give a damn about you, as long as the money keeps rolling in.

What are you even basing that on? The fact that they don't agree with you? Obviously you've been doing something wrong to get to where you are, and the fact that you would implicate carbohydrate intake in that is astonishing to me when we have so many examples of populations that follow a high-carb, low-fat diet with very low obesity rates. Rice is a staple in many Asian countries and obesity is low. Obesity as an epidemic is a creation of the post-WW2 era and its heavy consumption of animal products and highly processed junk foods.
    wow... ok did you actually read this link that you keep pushing? It doesn't seem like it. I think you linking outdated information and misrepresenting it IS dangerous - please stop.

Of course I have read it. Simply wishing that the information in it was not correct doesn't make it so. If you disagree with the information, let's hear why. You say my linking "outdated" information is dangerous, yet by following a plant-based diet I have lost 90 lbs in 5 months. I have completely reversed my weight gain and am winning my battle against obesity for the first time in my life. Not only am I becoming healthy, I am thriving and pursuing athletic goals such as participating in sports. 5 months ago I had crippling chest pain and could barely go for a brisk walk. Two weeks ago I went for my first 50 mile bike ride and now I have my eyes on a century ride. You are trying to shout me down, probably because the idea of cutting back on animal products is offensive to you. It is a big change, but it really works.
  • motown13
    Options
    Good for you, but nobody in a thread about low carb really gives a crap about a plant diet.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!