Dietary Guidelines from Weston A. Price Foundation (WAPF)

Options
Anyone else out there following the dietary guidelines of the WAPF? Here are there guidelines. My local food club is WAPF based, so we are able to purchase some things that aren't available at the grocery stores.

1. Eat whole, natural foods.
2. Eat only foods that will spoil, but eat them before they do.
3. Eat naturally-raised meat including fish, seafood, poultry, beef, lamb, game, organ meats and eggs.
4. Eat whole, naturally-produced milk products from pasture-fed cows, preferably raw and/or fermented, such as whole yogurt, cultured butter, whole cheeses and fresh and sour cream.
5. Use only traditional fats and oils including butter and other animal fats, extra virgin olive oil, expeller expressed sesame and flax oil and the tropical oils—coconut and palm.
6. Eat fresh fruits and vegetables, preferably organic, in salads and soups, or lightly steamed.
7. Use whole grains and nuts that have been prepared by soaking, sprouting or sour leavening to neutralize phytic acid and other anti-nutrients.
8. Include enzyme-enhanced lacto-fermented vegetables, fruits, beverages and condiments in your diet on a regular basis.
9. Prepare homemade meat stocks from the bones of chicken, beef, lamb or fish and use liberally in soups and sauces.
10. Use herb teas and coffee substitutes in moderation.
11. Use filtered water for cooking and drinking.
12. Use unrefined Celtic sea salt and a variety of herbs and spices for food interest and appetite stimulation.
13. Make your own salad dressing using raw vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and expeller expressed flax oil.
14. Use natural sweeteners in moderation, such as raw honey, maple syrup, dehydrated cane sugar juice and stevia powder.
15. Use only unpasteurized wine or beer in strict moderation with meals.
16. Cook only in stainless steel, cast iron, glass or good quality enamel.
17. Use only natural supplements.
18. Get plenty of sleep, exercise and natural light.
19. Think positive thoughts and minimize stress.
20. Practice forgiveness.

Replies

• realmilk4me
    realmilk4me Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Me me me me!!!! I don't eat grains but I love WAPF and Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions (my favorite cookbook) It's where we got the idea to render our own pork fat from pastured animals. LOVE!
  • nickgarner6
    nickgarner6 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Except for rules 7 and 10 I could get behind that plan. Too bad where I live there is almost none of the stuff mentioned available.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Anyone else out there following the dietary guidelines of the WAPF? Here are there guidelines. My local food club is WAPF based, so we are able to purchase some things that aren't available at the grocery stores.

1. Eat whole, natural foods.
    2. Eat only foods that will spoil, but eat them before they do.
    3. Eat naturally-raised meat including fish, seafood, poultry, beef, lamb, game, organ meats and eggs.
    4. Eat whole, naturally-produced milk products from pasture-fed cows, preferably raw and/or fermented, such as whole yogurt, cultured butter, whole cheeses and fresh and sour cream.
    5. Use only traditional fats and oils including butter and other animal fats, extra virgin olive oil, expeller expressed sesame and flax oil and the tropical oils—coconut and palm.
    6. Eat fresh fruits and vegetables, preferably organic, in salads and soups, or lightly steamed.
    7. Use whole grains and nuts that have been prepared by soaking, sprouting or sour leavening to neutralize phytic acid and other anti-nutrients.
    8. Include enzyme-enhanced lacto-fermented vegetables, fruits, beverages and condiments in your diet on a regular basis.
    9. Prepare homemade meat stocks from the bones of chicken, beef, lamb or fish and use liberally in soups and sauces.
    10. Use herb teas and coffee substitutes in moderation.
    11. Use filtered water for cooking and drinking.
    12. Use unrefined Celtic sea salt and a variety of herbs and spices for food interest and appetite stimulation.
    13. Make your own salad dressing using raw vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and expeller expressed flax oil.
    14. Use natural sweeteners in moderation, such as raw honey, maple syrup, dehydrated cane sugar juice and stevia powder.
    15. Use only unpasteurized wine or beer in strict moderation with meals.
    16. Cook only in stainless steel, cast iron, glass or good quality enamel.
    17. Use only natural supplements.
    18. Get plenty of sleep, exercise and natural light.
    19. Think positive thoughts and minimize stress.
    20. Practice forgiveness.

:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Except for rules 7 and 10 I could get behind that plan. Too bad where I live there is almost none of the stuff mentioned available.

sure it is! you can make all of it for much cheaper than it would cost in a store anyway
  • realmilk4me
    Options

I had no idea that my city had the food buying club. Here's a list of WAPF buying clubs.
    http://www.westonaprice.org/local-chapters/find-local-chapter#tx

Also check local harvest, there's a lot of farmers out there, they just have to be found.
  • islandlifenc
    islandlifenc Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I love the WAPF principles and try to apply as many of them as I reasonably can to my life.

We have no regular access to raw milk around here at the moment, but I am able to get grass-fed, pasteurized dairy and am quite happy with that.

I still haven't been able to get into the organ meats yet. Just can't make myself do it. LOL

And as for the soaking grains, it really does make a HUGE difference. I used to have indigestion issues from eating things like oatmeal and bread, but when I soak my grains overnight, that problem is non-existent.

The best part — aside from the vibrant health that comes from eating real, whole, clean, nourishing foods — is how getting a nutrient-dense diet really helps kill the cravings for processed junk. I don't even have a taste for that stuff anymore — it's like eating cardboard or plastic — and I used to be a virtual member of the Little Debbie Fan Club! :laugh:
  • realmilk4me
    Options
    I'm not craving processed junk either. I'm satisfied!

I really like liver and heart, so I have no problem eating it a few times a month. Made pastured chicken liver vegetable soup in bone broth last night. Eating and living this way, everything just works together.
  • theplumgirl
    Options
    This is an old thread but I'm pleased to this this alternative info on here...anyone following these kind of guidelines anymore?
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I think it's ideal but, no, not really. Maybe someday but for now convenience wins out.
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I am gradually trying to do this diet. Right now it's not affordable for us to do all of it, but I have cut out TONS of processed foods... if I do snack on something here or there, I can almost taste the chemicals! Plus I feel loads better :smile:
  • areseejay
    areseejay Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love WAPF principles! I also don't do grains, but love raw dairy. We pick ours up at a farm down the road once a week. <3

I'm somewhere between "Paleo/Primal" and WAPF. I'm not in complete agreement with either, but love them both and take what works for me from both. :) Love to see like-minded people out there!

Also - I just got a private message today from "Health_Gal" that said this:

Subject: No real science behind Paleo diet claims
    Hi,

While eating Paleo is healthier than eating over processed junk food, there is no real scientific evidence that our caveman ancestors ate Paleo. Cave people from different parts of he world most certainly ate different foods, and unless someone has a food allergy or sensitivity, there's no good reason that many healthy and nutritious foods the Paleo diet forbids should not be in our diet.
    At the end of the message she included a link that I can only assume backs what she says here. (Like I care.) I've already looked into all the "food wars" enough to decide that Paleo/WAPF is what is best for myself.

I posted my before and afters as a success story just the other day and I'm assuming she saw that (I mentioned paleo) and decided to send this message???

WTH am I supposed to do with that!? It looks spammy - anyone else had an experience with this type of message and what did you do?