Heart Rate monitor

Options
Whats a good heart rate monitor. I am really trying to get this right as I have heard MFP overestimates calories burned.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    19708d1365371785-hope-little-steel-case-ammo-doesnt-hurt-bonjour.jpg
  • CajunTexan33
    CajunTexan33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I personally love my Polar Ft40... Has a chest strap- which I dont mind and transmits HR to watch. The watch beeps when you get below or above your target heart rate for optimal calorie burn (calculated byt the personal data you enter in) PLus..it comes in pink so I was SOLD ;)
  • cararickel
    cararickel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM and have found that MFP underestimates my calories burned. What you would consider a good HRM depends on how much you want to spend--if not so much, a Sportsline or Mio watch uses a touch reading to estimate calories burned but is a little less accurate, if $150+, than a Polar HRM with a chest strap is considered to be more accurate.
  • mtnhiker1
    mtnhiker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Not sure using a heart rate monitor will be all that accurate either. Long time ago i used to run with a guy, we would run the same distance (~3 miles in about 16 - 17 minutes) at the same speed and at the end we woudl check our pulse rates. Mine would typically be over 150 his would typically be under 110.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi

Congratulations on your decision for a HRM.

I have a Polar FT60.

whatever brand and model you decide to buy, I suggest a strap chest one works better.

Good luck in your journey
  • mraychel03
    Options
    Get anyone with a chest strap. The watch goes by touch but your not touching all the time. Having the chest strap accuratly calculates your calories burned. This is assuming that you programmed all the correct data in your watch. I bought a Sportsline watch and chest strap for 80 bucks at Sports Authority and it works great.
  • meadowsmummy
    Options
    i just got the Polar Ft4...about 150 dollars i love it!
  • meadowsmummy
    Options
    Not sure using a heart rate monitor will be all that accurate either. Long time ago i used to run with a guy, we would run the same distance (~3 miles in about 16 - 17 minutes) at the same speed and at the end we woudl check our pulse rates. Mine would typically be over 150 his would typically be under 110.

Thats because the monitor is calculating your body speciifically. unless you have the same weight, height, fat and muscle mass it wont be the same.
    Your heart is like a snowflake - there arent 2 the same
  • twinsmom03
    twinsmom03 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You're right MFP way over estimates!!!!

I like my Polar I got it on Amazon far cheaper than a sporting goods store and free shipping!!!!
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Heart Rate monitor

BUMP FOR THE FEED BACK AS WELL

ALSO WHAT IS THE BEST SITE FOR EXERCISE COLORIES BURNED, A SITE THAT INCLUDES TREADMILLS AND TREADCLIMBERS AT DIFFERENT SETTINGS. AND HOW DO YOU KEEP TRACK OF "STEPS" CALORIES BURNS AS IT ALSO INCLUDES YOUR EXERCISE??? THANK YOU FOR ANY INFORMATION AND FEED BACK
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Anything by Polar with a chest strap. Check out sales on Amazon, you can often get one for under $100. The touch ones are garbage and best left at the store.
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Heart Rate monitor

ALSO WHAT IS THE BEST SITE FOR EXERCISE COLORIES BURNED, A SITE THAT INCLUDES TREADMILLS AND TREADCLIMBERS AT DIFFERENT SETTINGS. AND HOW DO YOU KEEP TRACK OF "STEPS" CALORIES BURNS AS IT ALSO INCLUDES YOUR EXERCISE??? THANK YOU FOR ANY INFORMATION AND FEED BACK:flowerforyou:
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Thats because the monitor is calculating your body speciifically. unless you have the same weight, height, fat and muscle mass it wont be the same.

Except that HR is only loosely tied to calorie burns.

If something startles me, my HR goes up. Caffeine causes elevated HR. Am I burning more calories watching a scary movie or drinking soda? What if I do both at the same time???
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Heart Rate monitor

ALSO WHAT IS THE BEST SITE FOR EXERCISE COLORIES BURNED, A SITE THAT INCLUDES TREADMILLS AND TREADCLIMBERS AT DIFFERENT SETTINGS. AND HOW DO YOU KEEP TRACK OF "STEPS" CALORIES BURNS AS IT ALSO INCLUDES YOUR EXERCISE??? THANK YOU FOR ANY INFORMATION AND FEED BACK:flowerforyou:

You might as well use what MFP gives if you don't want/have a HRM. It's as accurate as any other site. Steps depends on what you mean by steps. It's not exercise if you just wander around doing household chores, shopping, etc. and if you are out for a brisk walk then you should be able to log your time and speed to get an accurate count.
  • meadowsmummy
    Options

If something startles me, my HR goes up. Caffeine causes elevated HR. Am I burning more calories watching a scary movie or drinking soda? What if I do both at the same time???

im a smoker which slows your heart rate yet at rest my heart rate is 120 lol maybe i should drink pop and watch scary movies while smoking
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options

This is true. Which is why a person only uses is for specifically cardio activities. Well at least only should in my opinion. Having worn and experimented with mine for over a year I know that I can rely on it for cardio. It is useless for weights or scary movies.

A very general description...
    Heart rate increases during weightlifting due to internal pressure makiing it more difficult to pump the blood. This doesn't increase the number of calories burned since it isn't a sustained level of exertion. It increases when you are scared because of the shot of adrenaline necessary for the fight or flight response. You need the oxygen available in case you need to exert yourself so the adrenaline forces it to start pumping "just in case". You don't burn any siginificant numbers of calories since you aren't actually pulling anything from that blood unless you actually do flee.

When you are doing cardio the heartrate increases because your muscles are demanding oxygen and the heart pumps harder to deliver the blood faster to provide that oxygen. The HRM allows for a fairly reliable reading during periods of oxygen demand. Kindove like a gas gage. It isn't a window into the tank, but it is a generally reliable generalization of the fluid remaining. Actually it is probably more like the odometer. It isn't exact and directly attached to the spinning shaft, but it is a device that measures in parallel. revolutions increase and the gage goes up; revolutions drop and so does the gage.
  • cindiva65
    cindiva65 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have the polar FT4. Basic with chest strap. I got it on Amazon for less than $70. I really like it and use it all the time to calculate my calories burned.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

im a smoker which slows your heart rate yet at rest my heart rate is 120 lol maybe i should drink pop and watch scary movies while smoking

See those strange symbols on your keyboard? That's call punctuation - no need to be afraid of it..
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    See those strange symbols on your keyboard? That's call punctuation - no need to be afraid of it..

Exactly.
  • AuntNiecey
    Options
    Can't you just use how much you SWEAT as a gauge???? Why use a HRM anyway? So you can eat more? Please splain.
    Thank you!