Question about calorie intake?

Options
Hello, my name is Tracy. And my BMR suggests a calorie intake of 1680, MFP suggests 1335. I would like to lose 1.5 -2 lbs a week, I've already lost 25lbs on a low carb diet. But now I'm at a stand still. I recently purchased an elliptical yesterday. So if I workout an hour a day burning around 700 calories. What should be my intake? Sorry if that may be confusing. I'm new to this whole getting right/exercise. TIA!

Replies

• tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Also, my start weight was 225, now I'm 200 would like to get to 140-150 and I'm 5'7.
  • IZackV13
    IZackV13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Try Intermittent Fasting. You can still stay at your caloric goal, but you eat everything in an 8 hour window, and fast for 16 hours. An example would be:

11am-7pm: Eat anything within your caloric goals
    7pm - 11am: Eat NOTHING with caloric value

99.9% guaranteed to get the scale moving down. High protein diets are recommended.
  • crisbabe81
    crisbabe81 Posts: 170
    Options
    If you use the NEAT method (this is what MFP uses) then you would eat the 1335 plus your exercise calories. The NEAT method already has a caloric deficit built in so you are suppose to eat the exercise calories back to avoid to large of a deficit. Calorie burns are estimates and usually pretty high. That being said it is suggested you eat back only some of the calories, I'd start at half and go from there. So for a 700 calorie burn you would eat back 350 plus your 1335 for a total of 1685.

I personally like the "eat like the thin and healthier you". Basically you eat maintenance calories for the weight you want to be. When you get closer to your goal you may have to drop the calories 200-300 so you are in a caloric deficit again otherwise you may stop losing. I've been transitioning to this method and feel a lot better in doing so. Below is a link so you can calculate your info, should you be interested.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • curly1980
    curly1980 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm in the same boat as you (I'm also called Tracey :-) )

I am experimenting with calories right now and just upped mine from 1200 to 1400 to 1700. I was feeling great on 1200-1400 with 2 kids to run around after and doing 30 day shred everyday plus 3-4 times a week at gymphobics (30 mins circuit strength training) but last couple of days I've been feeling so lethargic especially after lunch so I've put mine up to 1700 which is my TDEE - 20% (I think)

I'm 204lbs 5"7 and I want to get to 150lbs (my frame means I look ill if I go any lower, I've been there before)

Add me as a friend if you need a buddy, I'm not sure how much help I will be though as I'm trying to figure ut all out too!
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Try Intermittent Fasting. You can still stay at your caloric goal, but you eat everything in an 8 hour window, and fast for 16 hours. An example would be:

11am-7pm: Eat anything within your caloric goals
    7pm - 11am: Eat NOTHING with caloric value

99.9% guaranteed to get the scale moving down. High protein diets are recommended.

IF has nothing to do with weight loss. Also eating for 8 hours isn't really IF.
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    1680 for BMR sounds a bit high, I think this may be your TDEE not your BMR. BMR is what your body need to function, breathe, beat your heart, etc. TDEE is what your body needs to sustain your body with our activity level, going to work, walking around the grocery store, wrangling the kids, etc.

To lose weight in a healthy manner you want above BMR and below TDEE.

MFP will take TDEE and subtract the deficient based on the weight loss desire you selected. 500 per pound per week. It caps out as 1200 minimum.
  • ebla123
    ebla123 Posts: 2
    Options
    HI, sorry im new hear so im trying to understand the acronyms. TDEE?
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    HI, sorry im new hear so im trying to understand the acronyms. TDEE?

Total Daily Energy Expenditure
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I consistently lose weight if I make sure the net calories I consume are around 1200. So.. if you are burning 700, you could eat like 1900 and still lose, and you wouldn’t be hangry.