Getting enough calories with low carb plan

Options
I've been doing the low-carb thing for a few days now. (Somewhere between 30-50 carbs/day.) It's going well, and I've already dropped a pound or two. The problem is I can't seem to get near by daily calorie requirement (1200 cal/day). I've only been around 860, and I know that's not good, even for a petite woman.

I'm not trying to starve myself... I'm just still learning how to eat "right" and get everything I need for the day.

Anyone have ideas for high-cal, low-carb snacks? I can be kind of a picky eater, but I'd be up for trying new things!

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You should be eating lots of fats.

Olives, nuts and cheese make good snacks. Adding butter to your meals will help too.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    peanut butter and celery
    nuts
    cheese
    jerky
  • BEEUK
    BEEUK Posts: 113
    Options
    Vegetables, humus, nuts, olives.
  • caiconCristi
    caiconCristi Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You should be eating lots of fats.

Olives, nuts and cheese make good snacks. Adding butter to your meals will help too.

Good fats! Kerrygold butter, coconut oil etc... I use them in my coffee in the am and I feel full and get enough calories.
    Bulletproof coffee

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/
  • mlreyes_09
    Options
    Nuts, cheeses, butter and oils. Sounds like a great diet to me!

Thank you all!
  • lhiatt
    lhiatt Posts: 21
    Options
    Watch the nuts though! I tend to over do it on the nuts. I think that is hindering me so I'm limiting them. But I think the other suggestions (specially adding butter or coconut oil) are great ones!
  • spottedkathy
    spottedkathy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am on a low carb plan and I eat string cheese for snack. 0 net carbs but 90 calories.
  • amanda1005
    amanda1005 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Adding butter, oil, or cheese to your veggies will help pump the calorie counts. Also using heavy cream in your coffee or tea, or even making a sauce out of it. Peanut butter is also calorie dense. There are a bunch of recipes for fat bombs, which are awesome to get your fat macros up while adding calories.
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    I eat low-carb, and just my breakfast is about 600-800 calories. How do you manage NOT to get to 1200 eating low-carb?
    I would probably be starving by eating 800 calories a day.

Just an example:
    Breakfast:
    3 egg omelet (boom! 277 calories!) + 1 tbsp olive oil (120 calories)+1 cup of spinach (7 calories)+1/4 cup cheddar cheese (100 calories)+2 slices of ham (33 cal). Add some fruit/berries (few calories). Add 1/2 of avocado = 112 calories.

So easy.
    Add oil, butter, eggs, mayo, some cheese to your meals, it will add up fast!
    You can also snack with protein bars or shakes.
  • fitobsessed
    Options
    What are you eating for protein??
  • dmorinn
    dmorinn Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    eat more meat, high in calories and no carbs

or try quest protein bars, 200 calories, 20grams of protein and only 5grams of active carbs

you can buy them on iherb.com and use my promo code: KQD354

you get 10$ off your first order so it's only 20$ for a box of 12, I usually save them for after I'm done working out or put them in the microwave as a treat! :)