Any Bellydancers?

Options
Would love to talk about goals/accomplishments especially as pertain to "the dance".

Replies

• JustBeckyV
    Options
    OMG I wish - I just dont have the moves to be able to do most forms of dancing lol
  • CassiLyn6626
    CassiLyn6626 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    One of the main reasons I am losing weight is because I want to learn how to dance. Hip hop and belly dancing! Can't wait!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I wish! I have lots of friends that are. Could you recommend a way to get started besides the basic "join a class"? I work over time and am a single mom... I have to lug a 6 year old with me everywhere I go!
  • kmhinte
    Options
    There are great videos you can learn from as well as intructional break downs on the internet if you can't make it to class!!!!! I do recommend making it to a workshop or two if you can make the time, you can learn a lot that way. Check out Rachel Brice and all the Belly Dance Superstar videos as well, they are amazing. Enjoy!
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I **LOVE** bellydancing!!! I'm friend requesting you :)
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Asa- most teachers are actually fairly kid friendly. If your 6 yr old is a girl, take her with you. at 6 she will probably actually learn something. My daughter was 4 when I went regularly and all she really did was twirl. lol. I've been dancing off and on for over 20 yrs and still consider my self a baby dancer (beginner) . Boys like to drum or play zills (finger cymbals), they can dance too, but often won't, the key of course in either case is to not push.

Other options: There are actully some good video tuts on youtube, I have the 1st DVD intstruction video that Rachel Brice put out. It teaches some yoga as well. and is really good at describing and demonstrating the muscles used in executing the moves.

The Suhaila Salimpor DVD series is a good one I've been told. And it focuses on various parts of the body. Most people reccomend classes because of the importance of proper body position. If you can at least dance with someone who can observe your postures and make certain they are correct that would be very helpful. You want to make certain that your knees are over your feet, that's probably the most important part and your pelvis is tucked.

And for those who don't think they have the moves... Bellydancing is the most forgiving of dances, it can be adapted for anyone. even people who have had back fusion surgery (though you would really want a qualified instructor in that case!)

Last time I saw my first instructor she was 62 and still teaching 4 nights a week 2 classes a night + private instructions! That's all i can think of at the moment. When I get a chance I will try to post links to cool sites and tutorials for you all.
  • sherry_80
    sherry_80 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Other options: There are actully some good video tuts on youtube, I have the 1st DVD intstruction video that Rachel Brice put out. It teaches some yoga as well. and is really good at describing and demonstrating the muscles used in executing the moves.

The Suhaila Salimpor DVD series is a good one I've been told. And it focuses on various parts of the body. Most people reccomend classes because of the importance of proper body position. If you can at least dance with someone who can observe your postures and make certain they are correct that would be very helpful. You want to make certain that your knees are over your feet, that's probably the most important part and your pelvis is tucked.

Thanks for the info, I have the neena and veena basics, beginners, and I am kind of bored with it because they don't do a routine or dance after you learn the moves. I feel like didn't do nothing. The girls do the dance before the workout starts and after the workout they do like a performance. which i cant do.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Hey Sherry, Luscious is a pretty cool DVD if you already have the moves down :flowerforyou: