I wish this "eating more" thing would work out indefinitely.

Options
2»

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

You could do 20 minutes of HIIT Training and get better results than an hour of straight cardio.
    I ENJOY walking. I do NOT enjoy gym exercises. Guess which one I'll stick with? I work a 9-5, am single, and have no children. What's an extra half-hour sacrificed to do something that helps me de-stress and gets the heart rate going at the same time? Why should I "save" an extra half-hour when I'm dreading the activity coming up, even if it is more "efficient"?

I mean, seriously. Buzzkill.

That's fine then, if you enjoy it. Most people think you have to sweat your *kitten* off on the elliptical for an hour, just pointing out that it isn't necessarily the most efficient.
  • pandabear7486
    pandabear7486 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Check out BMR & TDEE here

http://theskinnyequation.blogspot.com/p/weight-loss-calculators.html

Try eating at least at the BMR and no more than around 80% tdee. Use a lightly active setting and eat back exercise and you should still see a loss.

Besides this last week where I haven't logged anything, exercised at all, nor cared what went in my mouth, I was losing following that.
  • kgraves3
    kgraves3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That's really great! I keep my calories pretty low, when I take them up I don't really notice any benefit. In fact, I tend to feel a bit sluggish. It's good that you've found a routine that works for you.

And just by the way, if someone is telling you that you're not seeing result because you aren't doing something right, when in fact you ARE seeing results, they clearly don't know what they hell they're talking about. Don't worry about it. There are a lot of people here who are convinced that their way is THE way. Also a lot of people who seem to think that not eating certain sorts of food (jell-o for instance) is the secret, when in reality there is no secret to weight loss. It is in reality very logical and mathematical. If you're seeing good results and you aren't suffering from malnutrition, then more power to you.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Great job! I've been working on increasing mine slowly. It has made a huge difference! I'm going to bump up to 1700 next week.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    That's because you're not eating anywhere close to enough and your diet is horrible

I weight 110 and I'm 5'6 and I eat over 1700 calories a day.

You have to calculate your BMR and don't go by what MFP says because they're calculations aren't always accurate.

When you deprive yourself of food, your body thinks you're starving yourself so it stores a lot of the food you eat as fat. I used to only eat 1200 cals a day, and my weight stayed the same and I wasn't seeing any results, once I started eating more I drastically dropped body fat and gained muscle.

You also have to be eating the right maco's, keep it around 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. I looked at your diary and your diet is.... not the greatest, no wonder you're not loosing weight. You should be eating over 120 grams of protein a day... you eat no meat, fruit/vegetables and everything else is processed, chocolate, cereal, jello? There's your answer.

Oh ya and stop doing steady state cardio, because your body just burns carbs and muscle, not fat. Either do HIIT and start lifting weights. Give it time, it takes a while to start seeing results, but you need to start eating better or you won't be seeing results anytime soon.

That's great that you found what works for you, but don't try and dictate what type of exercise and macros others should do. Not everyone enjoys the same thing. Some of us actually ENJOY our steady state cardio.
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success! I've been at this since last October (rather unsuccessfully) and track my numbers on a spreadsheet daily. Started at 1200 and did ok for a a few months until the scales stuck at 214. Bounced around for months looking for the magic number to get me off that number. I recently said "screw it" and changed my goals to 1900 maintenance and decided I'd go a month not stressing over this. I ate between 1500-1900 a day for July and lost 3 lbs and 8 inches!

Of course I'm eating healthy stuff (most of the time) and trying to keep carbs around 150/day.... but I think it's sometimes easier on the body to create a calorie deficit from BURNING cals, while refueling. Everyone is different... you have to figure out what works for you.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    I ENJOY walking. I do NOT enjoy gym exercises. Guess which one I'll stick with? I work a 9-5, am single, and have no children. What's an extra half-hour sacrificed to do something that helps me de-stress and gets the heart rate going at the same time? Why should I "save" an extra half-hour when I'm dreading the activity coming up, even if it is more "efficient"?

[/quote]

This is me exactly - well sort of - I have a child and I walk or hike early in the morning. It's still a de-stressing time for me. I use it to clear my head, relax a little and get my heart going. I have tried the gym thing. I HATE it! HATE. it. Even if walking is less "efficient" the fact that I will stick with it is far more important.
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I wish I could up my gradually forever and ever and eat whatever, whenever :) lol

I'm around 1,700 now, will eventually boost that up, but yes it definitely feels good :)
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    On my first week of eating TDEE-25% which is about 1,500 (used to eat around 1,100) and already lost as much as i did all of July!!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    That's because you're not eating anywhere close to enough and your diet is horrible

You have to calculate your BMR and don't go by what MFP says because they're calculations aren't always accurate.

When you deprive yourself of food, your body thinks you're starving yourself so it stores a lot of the food you eat as fat. I used to only eat 1200 cals a day, and my weight stayed the same and I wasn't seeing any results, once I started eating more I drastically dropped body fat and gained muscle.

You also have to be eating the right maco's, keep it around 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. I looked at your diary and your diet is.... not the greatest, no wonder you're not loosing weight. You should be eating over 120 grams of protein a day... you eat no meat, fruit/vegetables and everything else is processed, chocolate, cereal, jello? There's your answer.

Oh ya and stop doing steady state cardio, because your body just burns carbs and muscle, not fat. Either do HIIT and start lifting weights. Give it time, it takes a while to start seeing results, but you need to start eating better or you won't be seeing results anytime soon.

You didn't read the post at all, did you?

OP, good on you for this post. It was a very pleasant way to highlight that gradual upping of calories is a great way to get closer and closer to healthier calories and STILL lose weight.

You had some wishful thoughts with "I hope this things works out indefinitely," and I think you might be pleasantly surprised. Many people find their losses continue even when they go to maintenance with gradual upping of calories.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

Do they even still teach reading comprehension?

ETA: Great Job OP!!
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options

Wait, what? I am seeing results. I lost 2 lbs. this week. O.o Not to mention the other 31 I've lost.

You could do 20 minutes of HIIT Training and get better results than an hour of straight cardio.

I mean, seriously. Buzzkill.

Agree! I incorporate strength training, but in the long haul, I wanted to find an exercise that I will enjoy the rest of my life, so I personally chose running. I workout at home, not the gym, and I don't want to be stuck doing DVD's and certain routines for the rest of my life. (maybe here and there though). When I have the time, I double the workout or go on a longer run, with a time crunch, I will do HIIT or something that will get me sweating faster.

Good job on your loss OP.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    One can do steady state cardio in the gym, or out of it. One can do HIIT training in the gym, or out of it. Hating the gym has nothing to do with it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!