Running

Options
A year ago I started out walking, said "you will NEVER see me run!" Today I ran 4 miles on the treadmill! I am starting to LOVE running....................

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    A year ago I started out walking, said "you will NEVER see me run!" Today I ran 4 miles on the treadmill! I am starting to LOVE running....................

great job!

now step away from the dreadmill and hit the pavement!
  • walzllw
    walzllw Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have been working on hitting the pavement, walking fast and jogging as much as I can. I went 4 miles Wednesday and ran about 3. The pavement is definetely harder, but I am getting there :)
  • lucasizit
    Options
    treadmill is good for blasting music and setting a speed on the machine and switching off your brain.

pavement is better for change of scenery and learning to maintain a pace.

a mix of both is good but personally i prefer the treadmill, running outdoors and listening to music is a pain for me.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Awesome!

Funny you say outside is harder, I find TM running more difficult. It's all about what you're used to.

If you find running addicting, try signing up for races. :smile:
  • lucasizit
    Options
    oh and congrats, sign up to local fun runs and stuff, maybe get family and friends signed up too for motivation
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    Awesome!

Funny you say outside is harder, I find TM running more difficult. It's all about what you're used to.

If you find running addicting, try signing up for races. :smile:

^^this :)
  • walzllw
    Options
    I am going to run my first 5K in September. Thanks for the encouragement.
  • ShannonKN
    ShannonKN Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Congrats, and welcome to the addiction! :flowerforyou:
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

great job!

This and don't forget the trails.
  • elllI4
    elllI4 Posts: 8
    Options
    i love to run! ran a little over 3 miles yesterday but too bad i have weak knees >:(
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options

great job!

This and don't forget the trails.

I LOVE trail running. That alone has made running fun for me. I never do treadmills, always run outside, but, man, can't say enough about how fun a trail is versus a track or around the neighborhood.
  • walzllw
    Options
    I never thought about running trails...........I am going to give it a try. Thanks for the advice!
  • bubblygoldfish
    bubblygoldfish Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Train running is my favorite! Now what about destination trail running... epic!
  • sam45890
    sam45890 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i strated c25k in january and last weekend i ran 10k for the first time. I am totally addicted. I've never been on a treadmill though. I love being outside.
  • lucasizit
    Options
    i love to run! ran a little over 3 miles yesterday but too bad i have weak knees >:(

i broke my knee as a kid and it effects running, stiffens up a lot....
    but just running more :P really helps strengthen it
  • walzllw
    Options
    Wow, congrats!
  • sam45890
    Options
    I used to have trouble with my knees but they've really improved through doing more strength training, squats, planks, push-ups have really helped, also make sure you get the right kind of shoes.
  • walzllw
    Options
    treadmill is good for blasting music and setting a speed on the machine and switching off your brain.

pavement is better for change of scenery and learning to maintain a pace.

a mix of both is good but personally i prefer the treadmill, running outdoors and listening to music is a pain for me.

The treadmill is convenient for me, I have a gym at work so I can run on my lunch break. AND I love to blast my music.
  • sam45890
    Options
    I never thought about running trails...........I am going to give it a try. Thanks for the advice!

running along the river and canals near my house is beautiful, i have been amazed by how much greenery and wildlife there is so close to the city centre.
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I used to run 70-80 miles a week, sadly fractured my foot so that's out, but I love it too, and find it really relaxing