Constantly in a call centre..

Options
I work 8 hours per day in a call centre, i dont have enough time in my lunch break to do any exercise (apart from walking)
has anyone got any ideas? i work 2pm - 11pm.

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Go to bed at 2 or 3, wake up at 10 or 11, go to the gym before work.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you react to exercise. Some are able to work out and go to bed shortly after and others will be too jacked up to fall asleep. So either work out after you get home or before you go to work.
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    How long is your lunch break? If it's an hour, sacrifice the last 15-20 minutes and walk. You won't burn 100's of calories, but you'll be moving.
  • swampgeek
    swampgeek Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I manage in an inbound call center, I do have the luxury of leaving my desk when I want however I get stuck in meetings or on a report and at my desk. Not sure if yours is multistory but I make it a point to walk past the nearest bathroom and go to the one downstairs to force myself on the stairs and get a little bit of an extra burn.

I also tend to reply to emails in person if I can, we have a huge campus and I try to move through the halls as much as I can or just find an excuse to move around the production floors as much as possible.
  • Diggedydog
    Options
    Can you get up and walk around on some of your calls?
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Inbetween calls:
    do Pushups, squats, lunges
    Stand while you are talking
    Bring in a dumbell and do curls & hammers
    Stand on your Toes
    maybe you can do:
    Mountain climbers
    Plank Jacks
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Maybe bring some light weights up and do curls while you're on the phone?
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Inbetween calls:
    do Pushups, squats, lunges
    Stand while you are talking
    Bring in a dumbell and do curls & hammers
    Stand on your Toes
    maybe you can do:
    Mountain climbers
    Plank Jacks

This
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    You can do what a lot of us do, exercise after work.
  • believe22
    believe22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    ...before or after work?
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Can't have everything in life. Great social life v real training program? The trick is finding a balance between the two. Find that balance and you may also find that you are closer to your health and fitness goals than you think.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    I work 8 hours per day in a call centre, i dont have enough time in my lunch break to do any exercise (apart from walking)

didnt read any responses...whattya up to until 2pm?

lets say you get out of work.....go home and relax til 1am.
    if you go to bed at 1am and get an unheard of 10hours of sleep, that puts you up at 11am. well now youve got 3 hours before work.

decent.
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Some call centers have installed Treadmill desks and this can really be helpful. They are fairly quiet and with a good headset most of the background noise it causes is lost. I have a treadmill desk at home where I actually work and it has been great. I walk on it at least 2 hours per work day and is really the only exercise I have had time for up to now. You may want to work with your manager to see if they would be willing to consider maybe a pilot program to bring in a couple treadmill desks that people could share. Many call centers have login type phones where you can use any phone in the room with your login (not sure what you do so I can only guess, I used to run a Help Desk years ago therefore my familiarity with it to some extent). If you can get slots of a couple hours on the treadmill that would be helpful to improving your fitness while you are working. I walk at 2.1MPH during the day (right now walking at 2.5MPH as my day is mostly done). 2 hours at 2.1 MPH for me is 10k steps. Without my desk, I get about 1k steps a day normally which just isn't anywhere near enough.
  • Fieldyvond
    Options

I cant because i live with disabled parents and they go to bed early so i very much doubt they would be happy with me jumping about at midnight doing a work out. my nearest gym from my work is 10 miles away & i dont fancy walking there.

I came here looking for proper advice of things i can do in my work. not afterwards.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

my nearest gym from my work is 10 miles away & i dont fancy walking there.

drive?
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have an under desk bike I use to do my workout. Maybe your boss would allow you to have one to use between calls?
  • Fieldyvond
    Options

didnt read any responses...whattya up to until 2pm?

lets say you get out of work.....go home and relax til 1am.
    if you go to bed at 1am and get an unheard of 10hours of sleep, that puts you up at 11am. well now youve got 3 hours before work.

decent.

Im up at 9.30am. have some breakfast and go on dance central for a while. i havent been doing it recently because im full of the cold :( i was also going to be starting the 30 day shred & taking my pushbike to work but ive been advised not to since this cold is moving to my chest.

I have to leave at 12, i have to get two busses (ive tried walking but it takes 3 hours.. and i live in scotland so the weather is unprediactable haha)
  • Fieldyvond
    Options

my nearest gym from my work is 10 miles away & i dont fancy walking there.

drive?

if i had a liscence and a car i would :)
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

I cant because i live with disabled parents and they go to bed early so i very much doubt they would be happy with me jumping about at midnight doing a work out. my nearest gym from my work is 10 miles away & i dont fancy walking there.

I came here looking for proper advice of things i can do in my work. not afterwards.

Ok. So don't work out at midnight....work out before you go to work. You have a gym that is 10 miles away and if you truly wanted to get a workout in (in or out of work), you would figure out a way to make the time for it.
  • Fieldyvond
    Options
    Some call centers have installed Treadmill desks and this can really be helpful. They are fairly quiet and with a good headset most of the background noise it causes is lost. I have a treadmill desk at home where I actually work and it has been great. I walk on it at least 2 hours per work day and is really the only exercise I have had time for up to now. You may want to work with your manager to see if they would be willing to consider maybe a pilot program to bring in a couple treadmill desks that people could share. Many call centers have login type phones where you can use any phone in the room with your login (not sure what you do so I can only guess, I used to run a Help Desk years ago therefore my familiarity with it to some extent). If you can get slots of a couple hours on the treadmill that would be helpful to improving your fitness while you are working. I walk at 2.1MPH during the day (right now walking at 2.5MPH as my day is mostly done). 2 hours at 2.1 MPH for me is 10k steps. Without my desk, I get about 1k steps a day normally which just isn't anywhere near enough.

that sounds FANTASTIC! im going to ask my Team Leader about that. i really do think there should be gym equipment in here for people on breaks :)