Fitbit

Options
tlou5
tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
Just got a fitbit one from my hubby for an early birthday gift. I think I have set everything up to sync with MFP. However, in the instructions it states to log food in MFP and to start exercise in fitbit....what do I press to start an exercise session? And why is it necessary? I thought fitbit just auto recorded all activity? What am I missing? Sorry if this is a stupid question. I am very non techno savvy.

Replies

• tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have a flex and I just log everything in MFP, I only log activities the flex won't pick up well like weight lifting, cycling and I log them in MFP. then MFP and fit bit compare data and I get a addition or subtraction depending on the activity. just be super accurate on activity start time end end time so the two systems can accurately reconcile the two records.

Might be different depending on what kind of fit bit but I have no clue
  • LiziAB
    LiziAB Posts: 55
    Options
    If you are walking or running, fit bit records it. If you do other stuff, like lifting, aerobics, swimming, etc. you need to record it. I just walk so it has not been an issue for me.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses....how do I log activity start and stop times? IS that just pressing and holding the button in the same manner as you would switch to sleep mode?
  • pchesnut
    pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm getting mine next week and I am so excited. I am hoping it can help me figure out my correct TDEE
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    That instruction has confused a few people.

You do NOT need to press start - you are right in that the Fitbit just tracks everything simply by you wearing it. However, if you want to know your stats for a specific workout, you can "record an activity" by starting/stopping (pressing down on the button until it lights up and starts counting up like a stopwatch. This is the same way you put it into "sleep" mode at night to track your sleeping habits. Simply press and hold again to turn it off and go back to your daily total). On the website, you can then go into LOG/ACTIVITIES and see your steps, calories, distance, etc. for just that workout. This is just good so YOU know what Fitbit's estimate is, and you can compare that to other estimates (if the machine has a readout, if you were wearing a HRM, etc.) Sometimes you just want to know how many calories you just burned. If you forget to stop/start ... you can adjust the times, or add it after the fact on the website.

There are times the Fitbit may not give you (what you consider) proper credit (too high/too low) and you can "log and activity" (do this in the LOG/ACTIVITIES section again) and enter your time/calorie burn and that will override Fitbit's estimate.

I've had my Fitbit for over three years and LOVE it.
  • Blitz_40
    Blitz_40 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Let the fitbit track movement involving steps (walking, running, tennis, rebounding, etc...) Log other activities. I log my strength training, stability ball, yoga, stuff like that in the fitbit log for calorie burn. I also log driving times because my fitbit will add steps when I drive sometimes & logging it removes those steps. I love my fitbit!