5'10" women CALORIES??? over 40 FAT loss

Options
Ladies over 40 that have SUCCESSFULLY lost 50-60lbs; What is a good DAILY CALORIE RANGE for 5'10" women (healthy / that won't screw up your metabolism)?? I've done all the BMR, BMI calc's, IPORM, etc., etc. and what friends tell me, and what the site tells me, and charts, websites, blah, blah, blah - but I want to know what has worked for *YOU* - in REAL LIFE (not just "on paper")?? (FYI - activity/exercise = sedentary to light (walking &/or light exercise 3x/week)). THANKS!! :happy:

Replies

• pinkcoconutz
    Options
    *BUMP*
  • pinkcoconutz
    Options
    Anyone, Bueller???.... anyone?
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I am 5'10 and almost 50(gasp). I have always just used what MFP said.
    I've recently changed it from 2 pounds a week to 1 1/2 pounds a week.
    I am sedentary all though not as sedentary as when I started.
    Good luck to you. Feel free to send me a friend request.
  • forevermaryb
    forevermaryb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I would love some "real world" advice as well. I am 5'9" tall and 46 years old. Losing weight in my 30's was a piece of cake looking back on it. Back then, all I needed to was cut back on calories and get moving. I seem to need to not only watch my calories, but what I eat. For me, it seems as if a calorie is not a calorie. I need to keep my Carbs under 100g per day and really cut out any kind of "junk food". Even then, every pound off is just short of miraculous. I did turn to the Ideal Protein diet to lose the bulk of my weight (35 pounds of my 52 pound total loss) but dropping these laser few pounds has been really difficult.

I started out at 1200 calories, but I seem to be losing at the same rate on 1600 calories. I like 1600 calories MUCH better.
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5' 10" female, turned 50 this year, and since June of 2012 I've lost 75 pounds.
    I've been in maintenance mode since the end of March 2013 when I reached my goal weight of 150 pounds.
    My diary is open, my MFP settings are for sedentary, and I either walk or jog or do my treadmill just about every day.
    I lift light weights and don't watch carbs.
    Have been a pescetarian for over 15 years.
    I gave up cookies and cakes, but really haven't given up anything else. And I still splurge on a dessert.
    I don't do "cheat" days and while losing, didn't eat back my exercise calories. Now that I'm in maintenance mode I sometimes eat back a portion of them.
    I never subscribed to the 1200 calories a day diet, I think the lowest calories per day that MFP was ever set for my loss was around 1550 calories per day. I always made sure I had net calories over 1200 for the day.
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Oh, one of the biggest things I did when starting out was buy a decent digital food scale.

I used it religiously during weight loss and pretty much still do. I weigh out my lunch and snacks that I take with me to work each day, and often, I pre-log my calories and then as the day goes on, adjust them for what I actually consume.
    I eat all day long, you'll see on my diary that my snack calories are always high. I don't enter my snack calories by the time I consumed them, I just make sure I track them all.
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    5'11 but only 23, I am doing 5:2 with lots of sucess
  • LiziAB
    LiziAB Posts: 55
    Options
    I am 5 10, 43 YO, lost 28 pounds in about 8 months, with around 1500 calories per day, walking 20-30 minutes daily. Right now I have reduced to 1270, because I had been misbehaving and needed to get back into the routime.
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm 46, 5'9" and have lost 55 lbs. I started out at 1200 but now I'm eating 1736 and losing about the same as before. I workout 5-6 days a week.
  • pinkcoconutz
    Options
    thank you!! I think I'll try 1,600 cals/day