Are protein shakes right for me?

Options
I see protien shakes on magazines and the internet, and on TV but I've never used them before. How do I know if this is right for me?

Replies

• meshaffer
    meshaffer Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Are you currently working out? I use one that called ultramet lite, which has fewer calories, but still provides a good protein boost after I finish working out.
  • loriwilliams310
    Options
    I recently started adding protein shakes to my diet because I'm a pescatarian (fish only) and needed more protein in my diet. I don't eat fish everyday so I needed something more. I just grabbed the brand that was recommended to me by a young man at Trader Joe's who drinks them all the time. He suggested Met-Rx. It's low in calories and carbs so I like it.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I usually drink them after a hard workout, there are tons of different kinda most protein isnt going to taste good, I like the EAS Myoplex carb control ones they are good
  • Pendragn
    Options
    I drink a protein shake with a banana almost every morning after my workout. I've tried a few brands of protein, and my favorite is the GNC Wheybolic 60.
  • dcturcotte
    Options
    If you are having trouble getting all your protein in the day then a protein shake is perfect for you, if you are getting all your protein from your diet already there is no need. Check your food diary it will give you your best answer. It might benefit you on days you work out, maybe everyday, or maybe very little to not at all.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Try one and see.
    I'd try one of the cheaper versions that come in single packs like EAS Myoplex (concidentally that's what I ended up with, but not because it was cheaper i just like it).
    There are whey and soy, both with their own advantages/disadvantages.
    There are tons of different flavors.
    Also there is a difference in taking it before your workout vs. after.
    You just have to experiment and find out if it's for you.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I drink Muscle Milk but from what I hear if you drink milk, you wont like it. I also eat protein bars. I make my own protein shakes at home.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    It all has to do with your needs. If you're having trouble getting anough protein or our working out hard, then protein powder is a good thing. You don't have to be a muscle head to use it, trust me.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Yes I know they taste amazing but Muscle Milk has tons of trans fats and has more carbs then protein. Almost double. I would advise against it.

Most of my gym buddies stopped taking it as they started to GAIN weight from them. Read the macro nutrients and you will be shocked.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Yes I know they taste amazing but Muscle Milk has tons of trans fats and has more carbs then protein. Almost double. I would advise against it.

Most of my gym buddies stopped taking it as they started to GAIN weight from them. Read the macro nutrients and you will be shocked.

I did not know this! Thanks for sharing that with me!
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I drink Shakeology every day. It has 17 grams of whey protein in it and over 70 other nutrient dense ingredients in it. I find it is perfect for me and my family. It put a halt to my IBS, I no longer get yeast infections (TMI, I know), I have tons of energy, I get all of my vitamins and minerals from it, it helped lower my husbands cholesterol to the point where he no longer has to take Lipitor.
    It all depends on what your needs are. This works for us.
    Risa
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    If you are having trouble getting all your protein in the day then a protein shake is perfect for you, if you are getting all your protein from your diet already there is no need. Check your food diary it will give you your best answer. It might benefit you on days you work out, maybe everyday, or maybe very little to not at all.

If you are using the ratio that MFP sets you at then you aren't getting a good amount of protein in a day. Most woman don't get the reccomended amount of protein.

Protein shakes are a great way to get your protein in. I make oatmeal protein pancakes I put 1 1/2 scoops in my batter to up the amount I get, I also drink them as snacks some shakes are only 120 calories and have 20 grams of protein in them with a small amount of carbs. EAS is good, Muscle Milk, BSN products taste super good, and GNC Whey is good as well. as for protein bars you just have to sample cause some taste like cardboard
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I drink Shakeology every day. It has 17 grams of whey protein in it and over 70 other nutrient dense ingredients in it. I find it is perfect for me and my family. It put a halt to my IBS, I no longer get yeast infections (TMI, I know), I have tons of energy, I get all of my vitamins and minerals from it, it helped lower my husbands cholesterol to the point where he no longer has to take Lipitor.
    It all depends on what your needs are. This works for us.
    Risa
    Shakeology is super thick i tried it and put the amount of water that it said and it wasn't enough I had to put so much water in it and it was still thick I will say that I stayed full. It's pretty pricey though it's still on the back burner for me to buy though.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of that advice! I think I'll definitely try some! Thanks!