Replies

• kbtommi
    kbtommi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm 43.75...I guess I missed the cut-off. :happy:
  • chris2267
    chris2267 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm Chris from Wisconsin and 46. I have struggled with the same 50# for the past 23 years. I was struggling with diet and then I dialed that in better. I wasn't exercising regularly. I would start and go for a couple days and then quit. I can't tell you how many times I started. I hate starting it is so hard. Right now my goals are to lose weight steadily. I would love to get rid of the 50#.
    My fitness plan has been walking and running. I also took a kettlebell class and have one at home. I have used dailyburn.com.

My problem areas - what isn't a problem area on a woman? hips, thighs, stomach, butt, etc.
    My support system? My daughter and myself. It really has to be me to make it work.
    Food weakness? Pizza - but only my homemade pizza and chocolate (milk not dark) I have found that eating grains/gluten spike my craving for sugar. But it is getting better to saying no. I have found I am a bored eater. If I'm bored it will look for something to eat.

I started in earnest in May with this site again and working out, have lost like 5 pounds. sure is a motivating thing to see.
  • juicenewton1
    juicenewton1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Who are you? Judine from Chicago
    What struggles do you have? Finding time to exercise, eat right, work and take care of my family
    What goals do you have? Mostly to be healthy and strong, but I'd also like to be slimmer!
    Do you have a fitness program? Yes, I work out 5-6 days a week, usually for an hour, sometimes more. I do a mix of elliptical, zumba, weights, swimming and speed walking
    What parts of your body give you problems? What doesn't? Thighs, tush, tummy, breasts! Gravity is my enemy.
    What symptoms do you have associated with your weight? Knee problems
    Do you have a support system? Yes, my husband
    What is your food weakness? Cookies, any kind
    What do you struggle with emotionally around eating? Fatigue, frustration
    What are your danger foods? Cookies, peanut butter
  • juicenewton1
    juicenewton1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What's the August Zumba challenge? Is it still open?
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Hi OP. I just sent you a friend request.

Anyone can send me a FR. Just make sure you send a message with it.

Who are you? Goddess
    Where are you from? I live in Washington state.
    What struggles do you have? Not sure what you mean.
    What goals do you have? to be healthier and lose some weight
    Do you have a fitness program? I walk, use a Kettlebell, medicine ball, and gym
    What parts of your body give you problems? not sure how to answer this
    What symptoms do you have associated with your weight? It's difficult to be active
    Do you have a support system? Yes, a huge support system
    What is your food weakness? n/a, I eat what I want and fit it in my calories for the day
    What do you struggle with emotionally around eating? n/a
    What are your danger foods? n/a
  • dmchiz
    dmchiz Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    For those of you who say that your support system is friends on MFP how do you communicate? Is it through the message board threads? Private email messages? Do you just post to other's check-ins? I have been a member here for a couple years, but just active recently and I am not sure how you give or receive support from others.
    Thanks, Kristine

Mostly commenting on friends boards. A WTG or Great Job or sometimes ask/answer questions about an exercise or food on your diary. I haven't PM'd with anyone yet. I guess it takes time to build a 'relationship' when you are online... lol.

With my MFP friends, I usually just respond and try to comment on the newsfeed where it posts the things they want friends to know, including diary coments....But I have to say that I am also in need of a more mature and 'responsible?' group of friends here!

I am 48 and have been here for about a year and a half... I am a retired police officer and after 26 yrs of service (Omaha Police Dept - Omaha Nebraska) I found that sitting around being a "stay at home mom" was not very kind to my waist (or hips, or thighs, or arms...) Not only did I gain weight and get soft, but I found I was having cluster headaches and frequent migraines.....SO, I decided to start working out -reluctantly I might add. I joined a 'total body transformation' program here called Kosama that relies on the principles of muscle confusion and is basically a high intensity interval training type program. It's so cool because it's like having a personal trainer - but in a group setting. I love it and try to work out 5 times a week (although I have been falling short lately at 3 or 4). I have lost 30 pounds so far, I dont have the migraines and headaches, and of course I have more energy now! I eat healthier than I ever have ( I was a cop remember - fast food and donuts! lol) but I wont ever deny myself something I really want. I just try to stay within my numbers and be realistic...I definitely dont beat myself up if I have a bad day, I just come back stronger the next. My biggest weakness would have to be bread type carbs...cakes, brownies, donuts, hawaiian bread nom nom nom! But if I really want it, I allow myself that treat :)

At this point, somehow I have managed to find a whole group of needy young girls struggling with eating disorders who( I am just guessing here), liked how I answered a comment on a friends post, so then they all 'friend requested' me and next thing I know I feel like I'm the main support group and the only voice of reason! Uggghhh Its very disheartening to realize how truly big the problem is but I believe that dealing with all their negativity has kept me from being very consistent lately on MFP . So with that being said, I would love some real adult support and friends here (as opposed to people who jump on and type "Great Day" with a cute little emoticon when someone had 400 net calories or exercised for 3 hours to burn off 1600 of the calories they maybe did eat...GRRRRR!) so ya friend me, obviously I'll accept lol
  • carmella7164
    carmella7164 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi Susan...I'm 49 - oh no I will be 50 and its harder to loose weight now. I go to the gym a lot but my weakness is like to cook and eat! I drink lots of water and like to bike, hike, yoga, circuit, spinning, step (not my favorite) since I'm a little uncoordinated. I have been struggle with my weight for a while - I just want to loose 10 pounds. Well we can all do this! Menopause doesn't help. Take care. I'm from Massachusetts. Thanks for the invite - Carmella. Anyone can add me. The more the merry. carmella7164.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    Who are you? - jill

Where are you from? - Hawaii

What struggles do you have? - busy with single mom-ness and working full time

What goals do you have? - becoming more fit and lose the fat

Do you have a fitness program? - jillian micheals dvds

What parts of your body give you problems? - post pregnancy below the belly button

What symptoms do you have associated with your weight? - joints

Do you have a support system? -mfp and a good friend

What is your food weakness? - anything good when it's that time of the month! ;D

What do you struggle with emotionally around eating? - sweets

What are your danger foods? - carbs

oh, i'm 48. lol!
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am fifty one years old from north Idaho. I have been on this site for seven months. I have lost 76 pounds with about 45 to go. Add me if you like. :)
  • softballmom33
    softballmom33 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Here is some info about me I am almost 48 years old, Female and a Mom. I am married and work full time. My daughter is 13 and I am very busy since she plays travel ball and has many other activities. I don't have any support system at home so I rely on MFP friends.

I would love some friends close to my age and would love us to support each other.

Where are you from? California and still live here (lived in Texas for 7 years)
    What struggles do you have? motivation to work out more
    What goals do you have? lose the last 10 ish pounds
    Do you have a fitness program? I like to walk/ elliptical, cardo and yoga
    What parts of your body give you problems? my stomach I gain it all there
    What symptoms do you have associated with your weight? I have had diabetes, gallstones and anemia.
    Do you have a support system? No only MFP friends
    What is your food weakness? Salty foods
    What do you struggle with emotionally around eating? when I am alone
    What are your danger foods? chips or any other salty cheesey items

I would really love to hear from all you!!! What works for you, what doesn`t work you.... the good bad and the ugly!

Let`s get connected!
  • shellydoo
    shellydoo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Who are you? I am Michelle and am a 49 yo wife and mother of 5.

Where are you from? Melbourne, Australia

What struggles do you have? I am a full-time carer to hubby with MS and 3 kidlets left at home (2 with aspergers), I have a non alcoholic liver disorder, and have battled depression for a long time. Stopped the medication when it was exacerbating the liver damage, but not before I had put on close to 30 kilos (abt 65 lbs)

What goals do you have? I want to get to about 65kgs (140lb), to be able to wear a swimsuit without be self conscious. We are looking at doing a cruise in '14/15. So I have something to work towards.

Do you have a fitness program? At the moment, I am walking on the treadmill. 30mins a day 5 times a week. I am only just starting back into a programme.

What parts of your body give you problems? Hips, belly and thighs.

What symptoms do you have associated with your weight? Started to get pains in the chest. More pain in the liver area, and my mood has spiralled because I dislike my mirror image.

Do you have a support system? My husband, who is my hero, nags me, which drives me insane but gets me going.

What is your food weakness? Biscuits and chocolate.

What do you struggle with emotionally around eating? Sometimes I feel like I am going without, but slowly I am changing this mindset, to allow myself these foods (ie small bar of chocolate) but I have to burn the calories first.

What are your danger foods? Cake.

The hardest part for me has been the self pity.
  • phspfitness
    Options
    I am turning 50 this month. I just started using this site on Tuesday so I am a total newby! My name is Pam, by the way. I live in Monmouth oregon. I would like to lose 45 pounds. I lost 40 lbs a few years ago on weight watchers, but gained that back plus more. Ugh! We had a health fair at work last week and someone there uses this site and really likes it, so I thought i would give it a try. I go to the gym five days a week, or during the summer I ride my bike 10 miles to work and 10 back. I haven't lost weight doing that, though, because I still manage to eat too much. It's all about sugar for me. I want to be active but knee pain is slowing me down. I really want to lose this weight and keep it off!
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    Who are you? My name is Ann, I'm almost 49 years old.
    Where are you from? I'm from all over (military brat), but call Lawton, OK home.
    What struggles do you have? I've successfully lost 90 pounds but can't seem to lose the last 10 pounds.
    What goals do you have? To lose 10 more pounds and get in better shape.
    Do you have a fitness program? Gym for light weights (at least 3 times a week...want to start lifting heavy), YMCA for Pilates twice a week, walking around 3 miles everyday.
    What parts of your body give you problems? (pain...my knees and right shoulder give me grief); shape-wise...my lower stomach and hips are where my last 10 pounds refuses to leave.
    What symptoms do you have associated with your weight? Most of my problems left when I lost the 90 pounds. But struggling with low energy!
    Do you have a support system? I have a wonderful husband and MFP friends
    What is your food weakness? salty, or sweet! Love chocolate! Love cheese-its!
    What do you struggle with emotionally around eating? Eating makes me feel good, relaxes me
    What are your danger foods? M&Ms...if the bag is open...my hand is in it, till it is empty....no matter how big the bag!
    Would love some MFP friends!
  • SusanDavis777
    SusanDavis777 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have started a group for us here..... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/15716-45-55-year-old-group Please join there and we can start posting and supporting each other in the group format! I look forward to getting to know everyone!

Susan
  • 2720cynthia
    2720cynthia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! :smile: Hi Susan and everyone!

I am a 50 year old woman ( 51 on Sept 20th) who lives in the Austin area of Texas. My name is Susan and I would love to connect with others in my age range who can relate to some of the issues we experience.

I want to meet new people, make new friends both online and off and support, encourage, motivate, be inspired & inspiring!

Who are you? :tongue: I'm Cindy, age 49
    Where are you from? :wink: from Idaho
    What struggles do you have? :angry: I usually do fine at home, but tend to mess up horribly in new or unexpected situations.
    What goals do you have? :heart: I want to be healthier and not be controlled by food.
    Do you have a fitness program? :cry: Ummm, not yet.
    What parts of your body give you problems? :angry: The old stomach.
    What symptoms do you have associated with your weight? :indifferent: Heart pounding when I lay down--already improved!
    Do you have a support system? :ohwell: Nope, only my great mfp friends!
    What is your food weakness? :frown: Chips!!! I love bread and sweets, but I can handle those. Chips I can't handle. I may have to drop them completely.
    What do you struggle with emotionally around eating? :flowerforyou: I used to eat when frustrated but I've pretty much stopped!!
    What are your danger foods? Ummm...CHIPS!!

I would really love to hear from all you!!! What works for you, what doesn`t work you.... the good bad and the ugly!

Let`s get connected!

I love to weigh myself each morning. I look at where I used to be, compared to where I am now. (Old fashioned scale.)
    Tracking tracking tracking my food is the very most helpful thing to me. Tracking!!!
    Did I say I can't handle chips????

I welcome new friends!
  • SusanDavis777
    SusanDavis777 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! This site is amazing and you can download the phone app if you have a smart phone. Tracking your food intake is such a great tool to learn about how the foods you eat effect your weight. Most people have no clue what they are consuming on a daily basis! I spoke to young woman at work today who in one sitting ate more grams of sugar than I consume in about 4 - 5 days in just 1 food item and a beverage! The kicker is...... she was just diagnosed with Hypoglycemia this morning! I am on a mission to educate others by sharing my story, journey, struggles, triumphs and the entire journey!

I look forward to getting to know you!

Susan
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone. I'm a little on the older side...59 years old, a resident of Southern California. Susan, my journey looks very similar to yours. I started at 228, a little higher than you, and 150 is my goal. I joined Dec, 31, 2012 (wanted to get out ahead of the New Year's resolution ;7) ) and set a goal of losing 48 pounds this year and 30 next. But I'm only a pound from this year's goal and hope to five into Phase 2 weight by the end of August.

I've always walked and hiked; in the past year I took up yoga, which has helped me a lot, and then a couple of months ago I started with cardio DVDs at home and am beginning HIIT a couple of days a week. It's a little bit of a struggle because I have hip pain of so-far undetermined cause; my first appointment with the physical therapist is next week. I simply have refused to let it stop me; I work out through it and find that usually once I'm all heated up, the pain is better. It worries, me though. Today I was able to get into squats with total comfort; other days, climbing into bed hurts.

A nutritionist taught me a million useful things about eating for weight loss and maintenance, but I wasn't able to put it all together until joining MFP. It had everything I needed, especially a food diary that I found fun to fill out each day. I never liked food diaries before, but came to realize that I was clearly not counting a lot of food--convenient absent-mindedness? Then with an open diary, there's daily accountability to my friends, their support and feedback, and whenever I need it, some great new success stories to inspire me. For the most part, my friends are similar to me in age (as in, I don't have friend the age of my kids) because I felt the need for support of women who feel their bodies not wanting to take off the pounds like they did during our teens and 20s. They also tend to be women who eat very healthfully and have built an exercise routine. They're great; so often, I just feel a huge surge of gratitude toward them.

Pasta has always been my big weakness with food, but I've discovered practically calorie-free shirataki noodles and now make a pad thai with them that my husband and I like better than the Thai retaurant's! I love to be creative with cooking, which has been a big help on this path.

I've been married for 30 years, always worked except for maternity leaves, and have three children ages 29, 22 and 15. (kinda gives the phrase "seven-year itch" a new meaning.)
  • jemimasmum
    jemimasmum Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hi.
    I'm Rachel, live in the UK. 48.
    I'm working on getting leaner, fitter, stronger but it's taking a while! You'll see from my profile how slowly!
    I like food and enjoy a wide variety... Sometimes too much. I like my glass of wine and then some cheese and then it all goes bait wrong til tomorrow!
    Had surgery to remove a lump 5 weeks ago so am just getting back to my running program. Swam this week for the first time in a while and will be booking a couple of lessons to improve so that I don't make a complete donkey of myself when that triathlon eventually comes around.
    I'm up for friends who want to encourage and laugh. Please include a message if you send a FR as I prefer to respond to people who have at least taken the trouble to read something about me!

Smiling and waving :smile:
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Turned 45 yesterday, feel free to add me. at the moment eating clean, trying to eat more, no alcohol (big change for me) and weight training.
  • poohbear1958
    poohbear1958 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 55, almost a week into this. Feel free to add me for mutual support.