Should I add Alcohol calories

Options
I've been counting calories for the past week and have lost 4 lbs. I began at 200 5'9" and I'm now 196. My goal is 140 but I will be happy just to get down to 160 and work from there. I work out4-5 X a week and have an active job. I'm finding it relatively easy to stay within my calorie limits but when I factor in a few drinks it's depressing to see those calories add up. Especially for wine! Do you count your alcohol calories. Can I still lose while having drinks?

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    You can still lose weight while enjoying the cocktails, but you have to add it to the count.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Um, ,why wouldn't you count them?

Sure, lots of people have success that includes drinking. You just have to balance those calories out.

And for the record, mixed drinks will generally have more cals because of whatever the mixer is. Drinking straight vodka, tequila, whatever is pretty low cal.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Like this question even needs to be asked? Why do count food then ignore alcohol? :yawn:

See this is why people fail at weight loss. They don't count the empty calories of alcohol and sugary beverages. Its actually quite simple.....if you put something in your mouth (that contains calories), add in the calories.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Like this question even needs to be asked? Why do count food then ignore alcohol? :yawn:

See this is why people fail at weight loss. They don't count the empty calories of alcohol and sugary beverages. Its actually quite simple.....if you put something in your mouth (that contains calories), add in the calories.

Agreed. There's no such thing as an empty calorie. Even calorie free things (especially diet drinks) often have sodium in them, which isn't something most people need to get worked up about, but shouldn't be ignored if you're struggling to see results.
  • 0110Charlotte
    0110Charlotte Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You should definitely still include your drinks- they still have calories. Try to reduce drinks other than water. I try to haveonly water or green tea except on weekends when I allow myself 1 or 2 drinks other than those mentioned above. Sometimes just kicking the habit of sugary or alcoholic drinks without changing anything else in the diet can make a big difference. Calories consumed in a beverage are often (not always) empty calories. Try to save your cals for foods that can help make you feel food or offer more nutrients. Hope this helps.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    You should be counting everything you eat and drink.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Of course you can still lose weight and drink alcohol, but only if you account for those calories. I love Vodka and I am spending the day at a winery tomorrow. It will be within my calories, but of course I have to log it.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Yes, do count it. I even include my alcohol (a bottle of beer) on my fasting days. It fits into my Down Day kcal allowance and I make the decision to use some of them for a non essential item.

If you can't bring yourself to log them then you need to have a bit of a re-think. You may not be doing the right diet for you. I know that I didn't start a number of them because they just didn't seem to fit with me and my life. When you find the right WOE at the right time for you it will all seem a little bit less like self torture - promise :-D

Either that or ..... for god's sake woman, get a grip, get on with it, just do it!

Whichever feels more motivating for you :)
  • jenabee333
    Options
    "Like this question even needs to be asked? Why do count food then ignore alcohol? yawn

See this is why people fail at weight loss. They don't count the empty calories of alcohol and sugary beverages. Its actually quite simple.....if you put something in your mouth (that contains calories), add in the calories."

Okay. I'm new here, and I have never lost weight by counting calories before. So I'm not sure that this response was A) nice or B) fair.

Anyway, thanks to those of you who gave me a straight answer without the the yawn or the attitude. It is much appreciated.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I kept trying to drink and lose weight. I did count the calories. You really do need to track them too! I finally decide, for me, alcohol and weight loss don't work and I cut it out a couple weeks ago! More power to those who can drink and lose but alcohol brought empty calories and food binges for me!
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    yes! Absolutely! Every little bit counts!!
  • electrokinetic
    Options
    Drink shots, not wine :)
  • mayonie1
    mayonie1 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Even a chewing gum should b counted. It has 1 calorie.
  • LdByron10
    LdByron10 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You count everything if not your not being honest with yourself. Sure you can loose while drinking you just have to make trades. Early losses will be easier just keep working through it
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    You can still lose, and no one is going to tell you that you have to quit drinking, but if you are counting points, but not adding the points from drinks, who are you cheating???
  • jenabee333
    Options
    Thanks,

I have been factoring in alcohol since I began on MFP. When I did an internet search I read a few posts from people who said they didn't, but had lost anyway. In the past I have worked out, and changed my eating habits without omitting alcohol and still lost a significant amount of weight. So I was curious what other people were doing.

My drink of choice is usually vodka and soda, so that won't be hard. The wine adds up, though! Food and wine have always been my downfalls, but I am re-learning how to cook balanced meals that taste great.
  • mrshoneydew
    Options
    I count them for sure.

This is a very interesting website that has a lot of information about alcohol calories.
    http://getdrunknotfat.com/
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I had a 188 calorie mixed drink last night. You better believe I counted it since I try to eat under 1400 calories. It was a clamato bloody mary.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    am thankful I don't drink
  • PunkinSpice79
    PunkinSpice79 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I save up for my margaritas! Lots of exercise and small meals those days. It can be done, it just takes planning. On the plus side, small meals means I feel the effects of the drinks quicker and I end up drinking less (don't want to get wasted). You'll get it. Good luck! :)