How much sleep do you get?

Options
I have figured out that not sleeping enough is the single biggest destroyer of my motivation. I not only wake up irritable, but by midday I have a raging headache, I'm craving (or eating) everything in sight, and I'm looking for a Diet Coke like a drug addict. The thing is, I can no longer get by on 7 or even 8 hours of sleep, but if I get 9, I feel fantastic. I wonder if it's because I'm older (almost 40) or because I've been sleep-deprived by babies for almost the past 12 years straight (I have 5 kids). It's been great to get more sleep this summer, and it was a big part of me making the commitment to track my calories and lose weight. But now I'm really dreading the start of school and wondering how I can get in bed by 9pm each night, lol!

Anyway, I'm curious to hear how much sleep you get, how much you wish you got and how it influences (or doesn't) your weight loss goals.

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Not enough! :laugh:

I work 4 on 4 off night shift. When I'm working I get approx 4hrs sleep during the day. When I'm off I can manage 6-7hrs. I hit the gym/baths straight from work. Once I'm home there is nothing on earth that would drag me there afterwards.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I get a good 7-8 hours. I don't have kids though and work from home, so it's so easy for me. I tip my hat to all you moms out there who can even get an hour of sleep! 5 KIDS? Wow! I'd say you deserve 10 hours of sleep a night to make up for lost time (and I'm sure there's lots!). It doesn't seem to influence my weight loss too much, but it does influence how hard I workout. If I've had a good night's sleep, I push myself to the brink! If not, I just don't have the energy to get a workout that I feel is satisfactory. My work also suffers. I'm an artist, so if I'm tired, I can't think properly and usually mess up. It is hard to go to bed at the same time every night. I totally get that. I used to paint for about 50 hours straight with no sleeping because I would just keep going and going. But what I do is take a shower. Once I'm all clean and warm, there's nothing else I want more than to get into bed.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky that as a grad student that was unemployed until yesterday and not taking summer classes, I had the mornings off so I got 8+. Now that I've actually gotten a job and am going back to school I'm sure it will be around there. I take my sleep very serious. And if running around Europe for a month taught me anything it's that I don't NOT function on less than 5.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I mostly get 6. About once a week, I'll manage 8 or so. I live for those days.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I need at least 9 hours a night, but if I don't have an alarm on, I usually sleep about 10 hours a night. Less than 8 hours leaves me angry and tired.
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Not enough at about 6 hours max of broken sleep a night.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 51 and I average 5 1/2 hours a night. I feel a little tired at the end of the day but I sleep great. If I can get 6-6 1/2 a couple of nights a week, I feel really rested.
  • Jazz_Hands
    Jazz_Hands Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    According to my fitbit flex (I know, I know, it's not exactly scientific, but it's the best indication I have), I average between 4.5 hours and 5 hours. I'm making a conscious effort to improve my sleep habits.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Ummm at least 8, for a while I was doing up to 10 hrs. If I get much less than 8 for a few days in a row, I always get sick
  • DallastheGemini
    DallastheGemini Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    A LOT! But only because of the medications I take. I know I sleep well over 15 hours (on and off) throughout the day. It kinda sucks because I feel like I'm sleeping my life away.

38576641.png
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    3-5 hours nightly
  • waipepe
    waipepe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    about 8-9, in bed by 10pm and up between 6 and 7 am
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    On average 8 hours.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Right now, about 5 hours. My son has been sleeping terribly and won't settle for my husband. I hate teething...
  • desert_mom
    desert_mom Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, everyone. I'm similar to da_bears1008, because I tend to get sick when I go for stretches with too little sleep. Since I've been focusing on getting good sleep this summer, I feel so much more energetic, healthier and frankly, nicer, lol.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I have to get at least 7 hours to feel right. On the weekends, sometimes an hour or two more if I'm lucky. Depends on my toddler and whether or not she wants to sleep in :)