Alternative to Olive/Canola oil?

Options
I've started to cook veggies a lot and I usually cook it in a tablespoon of olive oil and seasonings. Unfortunately that 125cals and 14g of fat right there. Does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives?

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    You could try coconut oil or grapeseed oil, but they have pretty much the same calories and fat (almost identical if you're talking olive vs grapeseed) but I know that grapeseed oil has more polyunsaturated fat than olive. But I like grapeseed because it has a higher smoke point and I tend too burn things. I like coconut oil for baking. But again, pretty much all the same. One thing that's helped me with my oil intake a lot is my misto. That way I don't have to drizzle, I just do a light spray and still get the entire surface covered. You could always try roasting or steaming your veggies too. That takes a lot less oil. I even bake my falafel now because I don't like to use oil.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Butter
  • electrokinetic
    Options
    I've been using canned olive oil lately but i like mixing the seasonings with the oil and brushing it on there. I like cooking things at high temps but it often ends up leaving black stuff on the pan thats difficult to clean up. Does grapeseed help with this?
  • Blitz_40
    Blitz_40 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't know if grapeseed oil is better for this, but I do know it has a fairly high smoke point. It's great for stir-fry and sauteing, even deep frying which all use high heat.
  • chocolate_totoro
    chocolate_totoro Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I use either grapeseed oil or coconut oil. Grapeseed has a mild flavor so I use it more often than coconut oil, which tends to have a more noticeable flavor.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of coconut oil to cook but it won't save you any calories.

Just use a spray of olive oil Pam in a nonstick pan and you really don't need much oil for most things.
  • Aspieb
    Aspieb Posts: 26
    Options
    Another vote for butter. Real butter - not that fake stuff.
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    Why would you want to replace oil? It's healthy and good for you. I would personally not use canola oil, but rather olive, grapeseed, coconut oil and butter.
  • kwennerholm
    kwennerholm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use a spray of Pam and then add a smidge of chicken broth as needed :)
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    With regards to calories/fat content exchanging one oil for another won't do anything.

Oil is a liquid fat - the source will only influence texture and composition of fat types / content of trace elements (which affect the flavor).

If you want the calories / fat content down you need to change to using less oil or frying without oil.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Pam spray
  • charles19_80
    Options
    Agree to Pam spray. But is it also Canola Oil?
  • PhoenixEve
    PhoenixEve Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I like almond oil. :)
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I discovered the other day that when I replaced olive oil with lard I saved calories because I needed much much less than I did olive oil. I think you will find the same with other solid fats like butter and coconut oil, the stability of them is good for cooking and you don't need to use as much
  • Granville_Cocteau
    Granville_Cocteau Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    "I Can't Believe It's Not Olive Oil."
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is one of the healthiest things you can consume, why the hell would you want to replace it with something else?
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    When it comes to oil and cooking, i'd be worried about which oil is ok to heat and which ones are not. While canola (rapeseed) oil and coconut oil are ok to heat up, grapeseed and olive oil should not be heated. They deteriorate into all kinds of 'nasty oxidized stuff' that's bad for the health.
    Grapeseed oil is greatin vinaigrette, because it has little flavor on its own and will take the flavor of the spices you use.
    I've turned to coconut oil for light frying of tofu ( the only food i ever 'fry') and always use the bare minium in the pan.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Personal Opinion alert: I wouldn't use Pam or teflon pans to reduce oil. I would use less of the healthy oils you prefer with a misto or toss the veggies in it and roast them. You could also toss them in it and then fry them in a skillet.

All oils are the same calorie/fat for the most part - but if you can get away with less of another - maybe?

You do need some oils to properly utilize fat soluble vitamins so don't try to eliminate them completely. It is healthy to eat some fat. I get your point on the calories - so I'd just look for how to cut down on it. I like the broth idea - but you won't get any crunch. Steamed - good for some veggies IMO. Roasted and baked - get crunch with less oil.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Try an oil mister, a good one.

Depending on how you cook things you can use a lot less oil. I tend to mist things, stir fry at a high heat, then turn back down to let cook, mist one more time to carmelize things a bit.