my latte had how many calories?!?!?!

Options
1235»

Replies

• bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Banana bread! I about died when I logged my recipe and servings.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    A small Mcdonald's milk shake..... I knew it wasn't going to be guilt free, but 580 calories? for a SMALL?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    i dont really drink at starbucks anymore for personal ethical reasons, however, when i did, i spent about $50 a week doing so, and it was definately not worth it. i have since become my own barista, and learned on my own to make drinks just as good, if not better, with a healthier calorie and fat content, for a fraction of the price...

I certainly hope your ethical reasons are for perhaps supporting local, small businesses, and not because of the million times disproven "They're not supporting the troops!" nonsense that was on the rumor mill awhile back.

In regards to "surprise" foods: You know Chicago Style pizza is going to be bad. Then you look up every MFP and Google entry on it, just to hope that you were mistaken upon seeing your first result.
  • bama97202
    Options
    Why would a latte have sugar? It's just espresso and milk yet every listing for a non fat latte has at least 12 g of sugar. Where is the sugar coming from if I'm not putting any in? Maybe I need to put in milk and espresso separately to get a more accurate idea of my sugar intake.
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I was on line at the supermarket and saw a packaged big cookie near the checkout. Scalled the nutrition label, decided I could "afford" it, and bought it. After I consumed the cookie, I looked at the packaging again and discovered that this cookie was actually TWO servings. Who ever ate 1/2 a cookie? Really. Who?
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I was on line at the supermarket and saw a packaged big cookie near the checkout. Scalled the nutrition label, decided I could "afford" it, and bought it. After I consumed the cookie, I looked at the packaging again and discovered that this cookie was actually TWO servings. Who ever ate 1/2 a cookie? Really. Who?

I hate that! I once brought a packet of pringles and was like 'sweet, 120 cals!'. Double checked it after eating to find it had 1.5 servings in the packet. That's just rude!
  • Lizajayne23
    Lizajayne23 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have to say, the one area that will continue to splurge is my Caramel Macchiato. I haven't been in months and couldn't help myself when in the area so I decided to try the skinny, nonfat, yada yada yada and all I can say is YUCK. I'll stick with my regular and a bit of sugar, thank you very much. LOL

Luckily, we don't have a Starbucks and the closest is 20 miles away so I don't go often, but my daughter is coming for a 3 week visit next week and we usually start on Starbucks at the airport , heaven help me. LOL
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    yuuup.. that chai is sneaky.. I'm getting rid of my oregon chai concentrate.. pure sugar.. and 90 calories for 1/2 cup! My solution when I'm really craving chai is getting actual chai tea (bags of looseleaf- 0 cals).. and brewing it in some almond milk (30-40 cals) and adding a little honey (0-20 cals) or stevia for sweetness

Only thing with 0 cals is the water you put in it. Even the tea has cals, not 0. Only things with 0 cals in the world are air & pure plain water.
  • burnsds
    burnsds Posts: 12
    Options
    If you are disciplined and consistent, you can have a food day and eat whatever you want. It isn't going to hurt you if you so it day once a month or so. You are allowed to go crazy sometimes and savor that sweet meal or dessert. Sometimes you gotta just break the rules. When I go to a baseball game all bets are off - I am eating most of the menu, I'm paying for it, might as well enjoy it. If go to a restaurant, I'm going to make use of those calories. I only splurge on meals that are worth it, so only once or month or so is fine. The rest is work and focus on losing the weight.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Starbucks Chai killed me too. I searched online and found a recipe to make my own chai tea concentrate to be mixed with milk (or milk sub) and it's sooo much better for calories (49 for 6oz of concentrate I think). I frequently mix it with a few ounces of fat free milk and a scoop of vanilla protein powder, then blend with ice. Yum!
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I find myself lucky here. I have a sweet tooth so am in trouble more often than not. But with coffee, I take my black with a splash of cold milk and no sugar. I like the taste of pure coffee and sugar (I think it's sugary things that push up calories at Starbucks and the likes) is not an option for me. I don't drink sweet.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Why would a latte have sugar? It's just espresso and milk yet every listing for a non fat latte has at least 12 g of sugar. Where is the sugar coming from if I'm not putting any in? Maybe I need to put in milk and espresso separately to get a more accurate idea of my sugar intake.

milk is full of sugar, lactose IS a sugar.
  • D_Ryback
    D_Ryback Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    yuuup.. that chai is sneaky.. I'm getting rid of my oregon chai concentrate.. pure sugar.. and 90 calories for 1/2 cup! My solution when I'm really craving chai is getting actual chai tea (bags of looseleaf- 0 cals).. and brewing it in some almond milk (30-40 cals) and adding a little honey (0-20 cals) or stevia for sweetness
    I do the same .but I make it with water then a tiny bit of heavy cream . Not quite the same but still tasty but so much better for you and much cheaper
  • MinatoandClover
    MinatoandClover Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Drinks can be deceptive. You don't think about them so much because they're not food. However, they can creep up on you like that and add a ton of calories to your day. That's why I rarely drink anything with calories in it anymore in favor of water, tea and flavor shots. Those drinks add too many calories without filling me up in the slightest. I'd prefer to reserve my calories for actual food.
  • 21july2013
    Options
    I make my own chai latte ... which tastes amazing .
    I never give up things i like ... i believe it's not sustainable ... i usually tweak them and stick to "homemade"
    eating out (even buying coffee) is now a treat i don't indulge in everyday ... but that's fine since i am well fed at home
  • JollySnidge
    JollySnidge Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am a caramel latte fiend - but since I moved back to a village where the nearest Costa is a 30 min buss ride away, I have stopped indulging. but, the other night I went out for dinner - turns out one calzone is over 800 calories!!!! So, I'd say, resturant food and alcohol are my big big calorie luxuries. Gin and slimline might be only 64cal, but it really isn't a pina colada :(
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I got a MINI Peanut Butter Fudge Shake from Sonic and then realized it had more calories than a LARGE Cookies & Cream Milkshake from Chick-fil-A! Crazy!!
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,801 Member
    Options
    i drink lattes often(one every 1-2 weeks), had one this morning, I just make sure to make room for them
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    The owners of my local coffee shop helped me figure out that a skim sugar free 16 oz caramel macchiato w/o whippped cream is 120 calories. I don't have one every day, obviously. However if I get to the end of the day and I have calories left and haven't had enough milk then I will walk the 1/4 mile to the mall and get one.
  • dubble13
    dubble13 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Since I cut all the sugars out of my latte so I just get the flavor from soy milk. My medium iced soy latte from Caribou is only 70 calories or just 40 calories for my small soy cappuccino when it gets chilly :)