is it normal to fail once a week?

Options
hello guys how r u ?

i was wondering is it normal to binge once a week? not intentional ofcourse i ment those dreadful rare moments u face once a week and u eat and binge a big meal.

is that normal? and how this can effect ur weekly weight loss? does a big meal / binge once a week changes ur weekly weight loss result entirely ?

and how can we recover from that in terms of weight loss weekly calculations?

cheers

Replies

• LitheVixen
    LitheVixen Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Ideally, you shouldn't have those moments. But, who am I kidding - everyone has these every once in a while.
    Whether or not it influences your weekly weight loss, depends of the food you eat. If you binge on a large plate of veggies - that seems fine. What kind of foods do you binge on?

You can compensate by exercise. You can burn the meal off the same day you consumed it, or you can choose to exercise all week, and eat some of the calories back by that one binge meal. Should you choose not to compensate by shaving off calories elsewhere, then, yes, it is going to influence your weight loss.

In the end, it all comes down to "calories in vs. calories out". If you binge, log it into your diary. See how much you consumed, and compensate accordingly.
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Loads of people plan to have a cheat day/meal where they indulge in less healthy food, cravings, carbs, or whatever is verboten in their normal diet. But if you're talking about an actual, uncontrolled weekly binge, then no, I don't think that's normal or healthy. If you're using the term to mean a weekly crap meal or cake or whatever, then yeah, I think that's pretty normal. If you plan for it, that works out better for some people - giving themselves permission to have a guilty pleasure on day x. If your schedule works better with flexibility, that's probably fine, too.

If you're struggling with emotional binges or something, that's a totally different issue.
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    If you are human at least once a week, then chances are you may cheat or kind of mess up. Today I messed up with what I ate. Is my week totally screwed? Nope. I will just push even harder tomorrow to make up for my mistakes from today.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    You know, MFP has it to where you can look at your weekly cals burned, and cals that you were under, and can save it accordingly have have somewhat a "binge meal", or plan it out in small doses and fit it into your daily log so you dont crave it so much and binge. I love love love soda, but now I drink one maybe once a week or once every two weeks instead of once a day now!
  • janminkeedjkindon
    Options
    My weight fluctuates all the time, I will lose about 5lbs in a month or so, then in the space of a couple of weeks, I will put 3 of those lbs back on. I don't have the odd day where I binge but perhaps 4 or 5 days in a week where I will just eat junk n snack. It kills me every time but I think, as long as I don't end up back at my preloss weight from a couple of months back, then that's good lol
  • RunningSwede
    RunningSwede Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    For me it's only a binge if aferwards it comes with guilt. When I feel it coming on (and it does) I try to remove myself from the temptation. Go outside, walk around the block a couple of times, etc.

...but knowing I have social events where food is on the table, I'll do like kayt6889 writes and "save" for it throughout the week by going slightly under my daily goals.

If I do binge what I don't do, and recommend same for you, is to not try to make it all up the next day by fasting or something. Best to just get back on the MFP calorie goal and chalk it up like a sports team: one loss doesn't mean you'll have a losing season.

Cheers.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It might be a sign that you're not eating enough though. A lot of people starve themselves and think they have to eat clean 100% of the time, then once they get to eat something they like, they have no self control.