Recovery after massive cheat...anyone???

Options
Hi guys,
I'm a massive chocolate lover. I ate a entire block of cadbury black forest chocolate. I haven't cheated on my diet in 2 weeks (1500 calories a day + 300calories burnt off on most days). I feel really sick. Can someone please tell me how to recover after a massive cheat like this? Do I have to fast the next day?

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Put it behind you and move on. Don't punish yourself by not eating tomorrow.
  • Birdface33
    Options
    Hi.
    Put it behind you and remember how cross it made you after you had eaten it.
    Good luck.:smile:
  • platinumpink
    platinumpink Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Fasting isn't going to help anything. Just accept it for what it was, move on, and try not to do it again. Remember how sick it made you feel.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It's not cheating, it's eating. You don't need to "recover" or atone for this. Just carry on as normal. Fasting for a day because you ate too much chocolate only sets you up for a really bad relationship with food where you alternate between over-eating and punishing yourself for it. You haven't failed, you just ate a bit more than you intended to. Carry on as you were. Your success doesn't rest on what you eat on isolated days, it's all about how you eat on a daily basis. If you are prone to eating more than you intend to, then look at ways of preventing that happening in the future.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    did the chocolate provide you with all the protein, vitamins and minerals you'll need for tomorrow? no? then eat properly!
  • emzypemzy93
    Options
    Oh man I'm in the same boat I ate six tim tams (aussie chocolate) and a big glass of chocolate milk (although I've heard it's good for recovery after a workout).. I don't feel sick I just feel bummed that I went way over...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i believe in "everything in moderation" because generally if someone completely denies themselves a favorite vice, they tend to binge after a time, like you did. you should be able to treat yourself.

you can allow yourself a piece of chocolate every day. or maybe you rather have two pieces to really satisfy your craving, cuz one little piece is just a tease? so have two pieces every couple of days.

what is life without its vices?
  • Count your macros and eat to your macros and you won't cheat.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Pizza is my thing. I just let myself have it every 2-3 weeks. Sure, I could just abstain from it entirely but I'd rather enjoy it occasionally. I think it's better in the long run to have treats every now and then.
  • BrunoRoughCut
    Options
    Dont worry your body wont even notice that you had a cheat meal or day as it's only the once.
    Your metabolism wont change so quickly because of it.
    You've actually given your self a reset and restart for fat loss.
  • hannakengu
    hannakengu Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Do not fast. Eat normally. If you can't be at peace with yourself without doing something about it, go for an extra walk outside to get some fresh air, burn some calories and think about why you felt like eating an entire block and how you could stop after a few pieces the next time.

You aren't going to live the rest of your life without chocolate (hopefully!), so you need to figure out how to eat chocolate and other things in moderation.
  • sarwatf
    sarwatf Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up about it. I read somewhere that ( basically unless you are some kind of elite athlete) ... 80/20 works best for most people -- if you eat well and exercise 80% of the time , and "expect" that you will slip up 10-20% of the time , then us mere mortals don't fall off the wagon every time we slip up. 1 "bad" day out of 14 frankly sounds like a lot better than most could manage to me.
  • RoughDiamondUK
    RoughDiamondUK Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    All I'm interested in is... where can I get this chocolate? I've never heard of it, and love Black Forest!
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I did this last night big time! Worse than you!! But felt physically ill and soooo crappy after :explode: but today I woke up back on track, did a crazy big work out And ate really well lots of water!!!! Feeling ok again now.

Damage is done so move on and you'll be fine if your back on track!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    As my old coach would say....shake it off.

Don't worry about it, one day is not going to make or break reaching your goals. If you have averaged a 500 cal deficit for the last couple of weeks and then go over by 2000 (probably nowhere near that but it's a round number) you've still realized a 5,000 cal deficit over the 2 week period.

People aren't perfect, don't set impossible standards for yourself and don't punish yourself for one little slip.
  • LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options
    As my old coach would say....shake it off.

Don't worry about it, one day is not going to make or break reaching your goals. If you have averaged a 500 cal deficit for the last couple of weeks and then go over by 2000 (probably nowhere near that but it's a round number) you've still realized a 5,000 cal deficit over the 2 week period.

People aren't perfect, don't set impossible standards for yourself and don't punish yourself for one little slip.

This is a good way to look at it.

I'm having a tough time at the moment but I keep going as I think even if I'm over my goal by 2-300 cals a day, I'm still 2-300 cals below maintenance so I should still lose, just slower.

Good luck!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    there's nothing to recover from. you ate a candy bar. you'll live.

none of us got fat because we at one candy bar in two weeks.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,
    I'm a massive chocolate lover. I ate a entire block of cadbury black forest chocolate. I haven't cheated on my diet in 2 weeks (1500 calories a day + 300calories burnt off on most days). I feel really sick. Can someone please tell me how to recover after a massive cheat like this? Do I have to fast the next day?
    1500+300 cals burnt off as in 1500-300=1200 cals? I'd eat a chocolate bar to!
    dairy-milk-black-forest.jpg

Looks delicious btw
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Did you go over your calories by eating it? If not, then I wouldn't worry about, nor would I class it as a cheat. I wouldn't class going over your calories by a couple of hundred "cheating" I would class having in excess of 2500 cheating (for me anyway)
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be about overeating for weeks and gaining 10+ lbs. One candy bar is nothing to worry about. It's what you do afterward that counts. I hope you don't let unnecessary guilt get in the way of enjoying a treat.