Surgery yesterday. Workouts today?

Options
I had a venous ablation done yesterday, dr says no extraneous workouts for 2 weeks. (No jogging / running, aerobics, stairclimbers etc.). I also cannot soak for 2 weeks so swimming is out. What can I do to get some cardio until I'm clear to exercise! Or should I just stick to arms / abs for 2 weeks.? Any input would be really helpful!

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    After venous ablation, you don't want to do anything to increase your core blood pressure too much - that's why no jogging, weight lifting , etc. So basically, both cardio and lifting are out. But, you do want to be up and moving. Walking, hiking, and biking are recommended at moderate levels.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    2AvtqcD.gif

The real question here is how soon you want to go back to have this procedure redone.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I had a venous ablation done yesterday, dr says no extraneous workouts for 2 weeks. (No jogging / running, aerobics, stairclimbers etc.). I also cannot soak for 2 weeks so swimming is out. What can I do to get some cardio until I'm clear to exercise! Or should I just stick to arms / abs for 2 weeks.? Any input would be really helpful!

i wouldn't even do arms and abs.

take two weeks to focus on your diet. and go for walks.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Listen to the doctor, You may be able to workout heavy without a problem, but is it worth the risk?? I think not, take the two weeks off, watch what you eat and you can catch up with your workouts when you are cleared !!

Basil
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Rest and recover. Listen to your surgeon. If you think that's time wasted, use it to read on diets and training, it'll help you stay motivated.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

How about taking some rest for 2 weeks?

Come back after that and PM me or post here and we will make sure you get a workout thats worthy for after 2 weeks of rest but for now, take some rest :)
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Are you crazy? You've been told not to exercise..listen to your surgeon.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    smh

the doctor didn't tell you not to exercise for THEIR benefit, but yours. listen to them.

just chill on the workouts for two weeks and eat as you normally would do.
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Seriously, rest.

I know it's hard and boring (I had surgery back in February) but you need to recover. Find another focus, craft or photography and explore that. It's not going to massively affect your progress.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

i wouldn't even do arms and abs.

take two weeks to focus on your diet. and go for walks.

This.....seriously. Your overall health is far more important than weight loss.[and If weight loss is not your main focus, but fitness is, then taking a little bit of time to recover from the surgery is not going to set you back much (if at all) in your current levels.]

Seriously...focus on your diet and go for walks. You do not want any complications to set in because of something you did too soon after the surgery.
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Just some gentle walking.

Reduce your calories a little to account for less exercise.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Listen to your doctor. Rest and recover.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    After my ablation three months ago i didnt move from the couch for a week! If you want to see progress just limit your eating a bit more. Oye Vay you need to just watch TV and relax
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ....... dr says no extraneous workouts for 2 weeks.

I'm sorry, what was the question?
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, what was the question?

This man talks sense.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    *edit didnt notice you said VENOUS ablation... my rant was not relevant i thought you meant cardiac ablation
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    *edit didnt notice you said VENOUS ablation... my rant was not relevant i thought you meant cardiac ablation
    I wanted to tell you it was still worth it because I really enjoyed that rant :flowerforyou:
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    I wanted to tell you it was still worth it because I really enjoyed that rant :flowerforyou:

Daww well point me to the next heart patient and i will give you another stunning rant
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I had 17 lbs. of skin removed 9 months ago and was literally unable to exercise for 9-10 weeks but as soon as my doctor cleared me the first thing i did was started with short walks and built up from there... Listen to your doctor first and foremost, if he instructed you to rest then take 2 weeks and just concentrate on your diet...... Best of Luck
  • Wacasgirl
    Wacasgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I was not trying to ignore my dr's wishes. I'd simply never had anything like this done before. I'll take the time to focus on my diet! :)