• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Buttermilk-Cornbread.jpg

Lick lickey
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Traditionally lard was used not crisco. It's much better that way.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Still have no idea wtf corn bread is.

I'm from the deep South and make a really good cornbread. I see you're a baker. It's a mix of flour, cornmeal, an egg, buttermilk, sugar, and Crisco. I don't like mine super sweet like some people. No bacon grease in mine though. Mine has a finer texture than other recipes--kind of like cake.

I do my cornmeal a little different. I mix equal parts self rising white corn meal mix and yellow corn meal mix to get my cornmeal base.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

You must first stir to sift and then level the dry ingredients. No heaping measurements. And do not tap the measuring cup so you can add more.

Into a mixing bowl, add:

1 c. flour, self rising
    1 c. cornmeal base
    1/2 c. Crisco
    1/4 c. sugar

Stir together above ingredients. Use a pastry blender and cut Crisco into the dry ingredients until the flour mixture is the size of a grain of rice throughout.

Add:

1 egg slightly beaten. Egg Beaters works too.
    1 c. buttermilk

Pour wet ingredients into dry mix.
    Stir only until moistened. Over stirring makes it gummy.

Immediately pour into a greased 8"-9" cast iron frying pan. Bacon grease can be used, but Pam works, too. I don't heat my pan first, but my husband does. He likes a thicker, darker crust. I like it my way. It has more of a cake texture my way. I use a loaf pan, muffin tins, and/or a flat Corning Wear dish sometimes too.

Bake until the top is golden brown. Take it out of the oven and turn it out onto a plate. I cut mine upside down so it doesn't get smushed in.

Add real butter and enjoy!

1/8 of a batch with no butter, etc., is:

200 calories
    30 g carbs
    7 g fat
    4 g protein
    9 calcium
    74 potassium

OR
    4128904412_745a2578c8.jpg
    79 cents at my store.
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options
    has to be in cast iron skillet. Best ever!

cornbread.jpg.html?filters[term]=cornbread&filters[primary]=images&sort=1&o=60
  • klight1236
    klight1236 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love me some corn bread! The sweeter the better all I need is some corn bread, honey, and butter and i'm set for the night!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I love me some corn bread! The sweeter the better all I need is some corn bread, honey, and butter and i'm set for the night!

^this. just. like. this. but with a tall glass of cold milk. OMG coma time.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Still have no idea wtf corn bread is.

I'm from the deep South and make a really good cornbread. I see you're a baker. It's a mix of flour, cornmeal, an egg, buttermilk, sugar, and Crisco. I don't like mine super sweet like some people. No bacon grease in mine though. Mine has a finer texture than other recipes--kind of like cake.

I do my cornmeal a little different. I mix equal parts self rising white corn meal mix and yellow corn meal mix to get my cornmeal base.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

You must first stir to sift and then level the dry ingredients. No heaping measurements. And do not tap the measuring cup so you can add more.

Into a mixing bowl, add:

1 c. flour, self rising
    1 c. cornmeal base
    1/2 c. Crisco
    1/4 c. sugar

Stir together above ingredients. Use a pastry blender and cut Crisco into the dry ingredients until the flour mixture is the size of a grain of rice throughout.

Add:

1 egg slightly beaten. Egg Beaters works too.
    1 c. buttermilk

Pour wet ingredients into dry mix.
    Stir only until moistened. Over stirring makes it gummy.

Immediately pour into a greased 8"-9" cast iron frying pan. Bacon grease can be used, but Pam works, too. I don't heat my pan first, but my husband does. He likes a thicker, darker crust. I like it my way. It has more of a cake texture my way. I use a loaf pan, muffin tins, and/or a flat Corning Wear dish sometimes too.

Bake until the top is golden brown. Take it out of the oven and turn it out onto a plate. I cut mine upside down so it doesn't get smushed in.

Add real butter and enjoy!

1/8 of a batch with no butter, etc., is:

200 calories
    30 g carbs
    7 g fat
    4 g protein
    9 calcium
    74 potassium

OR
    79 cents at my store.

Too sweet!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options

My grandpa taught me to put my cornbread into a glass of milk and eat it with a spoon. OMG is that good. Dont knock it until you try it
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

My grandpa taught me to put my cornbread into a glass of milk and eat it with a spoon. OMG is that good. Dont knock it until you try it

I do that with cookies.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

not knocking. totally trying.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

79 cents at my store.
    [/quote]

I use Jiffy Mix to make corn pancakes. Slather that up with butter and maple syrup and it's just about as good as...nah, never mind, NOTHING is ever THAT good! But it IS yummy!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

79 cents at my store.
    [/quote]

I use Jiffy Mix to make corn pancakes. Slather that up with butter and maple syrup and it's just about as good as...nah, never mind, NOTHING is ever THAT good! But it IS yummy!
    [/quote]

You sound like a genius.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options

79 cents at my store.

[/quote]

You sound like a genius.
    [/quote]

Sadly, I am not a genius. I simply know how to follow the directions on the side of the box...LOL!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

79 cents at my store.

You sound like a genius.
    [/quote]

Sadly, I am not a genius. I simply know how to follow the directions on the side of the box...LOL!
    [/quote]

Hahahaha. Read Directions. Foiled again!
  • burnsds
    burnsds Posts: 12
    Options
    Nothing better than a good bowl of chili with hot cornbread (yum)
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options

My granddad ate it that way, but with buttermilk. Uck.

Buttermilk is for baking, dammit.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm butter milk with salt and pepper.
  • denimandroses
    Options

My granddad ate it that way, but with buttermilk. Uck.

Buttermilk is for baking, dammit.

Mine too! And I'm with you, Kamikaze....can't do the buttermilk thing! Ewwwwww.....!!!!
  • denimandroses
    Options
    Nothing better than a good bowl of chili with hot cornbread (yum)

One of my faves, especially if the chili is spicy!
  • scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK and I ADORE corn bread and southern cooking in general....