NSV: My running is improving!

Options
So, I went to the gym with my crush (the body builder <3) but I had already completed my lifting so I decided to run. I loathe treadmills so thank god I have a great music app. Anyway I'm running, right? Pacing myself at 4.5. No, it isn't fast but it kept me consistent. I RAN FOR 10 MINUTES STRAIGHT. It might not seem impressive but my head usually gives out long before my legs so I was proud that I pushed myself. I'm gonna try and run 2-5 minutes longer each time I run in preparation for my 5k and eventually up my time a little. I was just super proud of myself.

Replies

• justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    that's fantastic and HUGE accomplishment!
    you should be SUPER proud of yourself..:)
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Congrats! It's always exciting to run further or faster than you have before. Now ditch that dreadmill and run outside!

Happy running! :flowerforyou:
  • aritchey1977
    aritchey1977 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Good job! I started running a couple years ago and I have learned that I HATE the treadmill! Every minute seems like an hour. I much prefer being outside. So much in fact that when I was training for a half marathon last winter I was running outside in 10 degree weather. If there wasn't snow, I was outside. But sometimes I was forced on that crazy machine. Good for you for sticking it out. :)
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    It is a great accomplishment. Well done
  • nanner5811
    Options
    Nice!!! It's a good feeling, isn't it?

I'm new at running and do jog/walk repeats on the treadmill. Such a good feeling to push past the wall in my head to go as long or longer than last time, during the jog portions.

Although...yesterday my legs just felt like lead and I felt run-down so I had to cut it short. A little blow to the ego, but I'm just chalking it up to an off day. It happens.

Keep it up!!!!!
  • RubyLou25
    RubyLou25 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Good for you!
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    (: I like to run outside in the morning but I didn't want to leave my buddy, you know? I do have 2 questions:
    1) My abs are sore? Uhm. That may be from the upper body work out I did with sit ups and crunches but I usually don't get abdominal pain from those. Can running be a factor and if so is it a good this? It isn't a sharp pain just like I had a work out
    2) I DID get a sharp pain under my rib while running. Someone said it was called runner's stitch? How does one get rid of that? It's happened more than once for me
  • Piratefifi
    Options
    Congrats!! That is HUGE! I have also been working on my running, and though I cannot run for 10 minutes without throwing in a little "fast walking," I hope to very soon. Keep up the fantastic work, it is inspiring!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    (: I like to run outside in the morning but I didn't want to leave my buddy, you know? I do have 2 questions:
    1) My abs are sore? Uhm. That may be from the upper body work out I did with sit ups and crunches but I usually don't get abdominal pain from those. Can running be a factor and if so is it a good this? It isn't a sharp pain just like I had a work out
    2) I DID get a sharp pain under my rib while running. Someone said it was called runner's stitch? How does one get rid of that? It's happened more than once for me

Running certainly engages your core, so it coud be contributing to your sore abs.

As for the sharp pain under your rib, it could be a stitch or a cramp (stitches are usually associated with a pain along your side). There are several theories on how to avoid those, including ensuring you're properly hydrated, not eating anything too heavy just prior to running, and concentrating on consistent/regular breathing. If you do get one, just slow up your pace a bit (but no need to stop running!) and try to regulate your breathing. Hope this helps!
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Thats great!! Love running stories!
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options

Running certainly engages your core, so it coud be contributing to your sore abs.

As for the sharp pain under your rib, it could be a stitch or a cramp (stitches are usually associated with a pain along your side). There are several theories on how to avoid those, including ensuring you're properly hydrated, not eating anything too heavy just prior to running, and concentrating on consistent/regular breathing. If you do get one, just slow up your pace a bit (but no need to stop running!) and try to regulate your breathing. Hope this helps!
    Thanks! And thanks to everyone else, too (:
  • Okeyboy
    Okeyboy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as well. Since I have gotten fitter, I feel like I could run for days without stopping.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!